Veteran's Day 2016

Help Support CattleToday:

My thanks to all that served.

hith-iwo-jima-457385783-E.jpeg

I have been thinking about the members of my family who served. Lots of veterans, cousin Johnny gave his life as a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. My brother, one year my senior, served at the same time Johnny did.

Dad served in WWII. Dad had 5 brothers and 6 sisters. Lots of family and in laws served. Uncle Ben was wounded storming the beaches of Europe on D Day.

None of them claimed to be heros. None of them glorified war. In fact, they just wanted to come home. My Dad said it was the biggest waste of young men and machinery the world has ever seen.

Uncle Joe and Uncle Bill fought in the Pacific theater of War. Carried across the Pacific on troop carriers, fighting on little islands whose names they could hardly remember. Uncle Joe loved to said if you go back to some of those islands today, he bets you will see some blue eyed, blonde headed inhabitants that don't look like the others.

I was raised around so many WWII veterans in the person of farmers, family, teachers, etc. that it made a mark on me. I think I agree with Tom Brokaw, they were our greatest generation. I miss so many of them. I had wonderful Uncles and wonderful old farmers in my life.

Margonme":c4oq6owg said:
I have been thinking about the members of my family who served. Lots of veterans, cousin Johnny gave his life as a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. My brother, one year my senior, served at the same time Johnny did.

Dad served in WWII. Dad had 5 brothers and 6 sisters. Lots of family and in laws served. Uncle Ben was wounded storming the beaches of Europe on D Day.

None of them claimed to be heros. None of them glorified war. In fact, they just wanted to come home. My Dad said it was the biggest waste of young men and machinery the world has ever seen.

Uncle Joe and Uncle Bill fought in the Pacific theater of War. Carried across the Pacific on troop carriers, fighting on little islands whose names they could hardly remember. Uncle Joe loved to said if you go back to some of those islands today, he bets you will see some blue eyed, blonde headed inhabitants that don't look like the others.

I was raised around so many WWII veterans in the person of farmers, family, teachers, etc. that it made a mark on me. I think I agree with Tom Brokaw, they were our greatest generation. I miss so many of them. I had wonderful Uncles and wonderful old farmers in my life.

We that were raised by the men that stormed the beaches in WWII sure were lucky. Had an uncle at Pearl on the 7th dad served in the North Atlantic had uncles that stormed the beaches on Iwo and Okinawa.
A member of my family has fought in every war from the revolutionary to this one.
Lost my older brother to cancer from agent orange his folded flag sit next to several others here.

Thank all of you veterans for the many sacrifices you have made! We owe you a debt of gratitude we can never repay.

Latest posts