Winter Weather 2016-2017

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
What are you all hearing/seeing about the upcoming winter?

I have seen jet black wooly worms (caterpillars).

Wasp nests on the ground.

Old Timers tell me the two are indicative of what winter will be like.

Then we have the almanac predictions.

Here's what Old Farmer's Almanac has on their website:

----Winter will be colder in much of the eastern two-thirds of the nation. Exceptions will be in a swatch from North Dakota to Maine, which will have below-normal temperatures. Most of the Pacific states will have below-normal temperatures, with above-normal temperatures in the Intermountain region and Desert Southwest.

----Snowfall will be above normal from southern New England and western New York southward through the Appalachians, but not in northern New England. Snowfall with also be above what's typical from eastern Minnesota to the UP (Upper Peninsula) of Michigan and southward to St. Louis, Missouri; and from central North Dakota westward to the Pacific. We expect below-normal snowfall in most other places that normally receive snow.

----Precipitation will be below normal across most of the southern two-thirds of the nation. However, precipitation will be above normal in the North, with the primary exceptions being above-normal rainfall in northern California, southern Oregon, portions of the western Lower Lakes region, and Florida. With rainfall below normal in most of California, the drought there will continue.

----In Canada, brace for more snow and colder-than-average temperatures throughout most parts of the country. The exceptions to the winter of white will be Manitoba, portions of Saskatchewan, and northern sections across the land. While snowfall will generally be below normal in these areas, temperatures will remain chilly

http://www.almanac.com/content/long-range-forecast-2017

Bigfoot":2cz3bmkl said:
I've opened countless persimmon seeds. All spoons.

What's the deal with persimmon seeds. Forks and spoons?

EDIT - Persimmon winter weather forecasts are old folklore — like hair color on woolly bear caterpillars. Split the seed open and look at the embryo inside. If it is in the shape of a spoon, expect lots of snow, if it is a knife, expect sharp cold and if it is a fork, expect a mild winter.

Google is my friend

I'll take a drier than normal winter here .. I'd be willing to be it will still be more rain than most of the country gets .. I mowed the ditch in front of my place for the first time yesterday ..

Latest posts