Not dilated.

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
Strange one today. Cow went into labour this morning, but never made a water bag. Didn't make any progress, so I examined her and found she had not dilated at all. Gave her 2 more hours, checked again and the same thing, so drove her to town. Vets said it was the third cow (not heifer) they had seen like this already this year. Got them home safe and sound, dumped a batch of colostrum into the calf and put them in a stall together. Hopefully all is well in the morning.

JgfwsNa.jpg

hcDOQBk.jpg

Usually caused by a mispresentation. A foot back or something that prevents the calf moving up to put pressure on cervix which causes a release of oxytocin and kicks the dilation into gear. Sometimes you can gently poke a finger in cervix putting some pressure on it which can get it to trigger the process but most likely wont be able to get calf out anyway. Solid looking calf by the way. Well done on being alert to the cows situation.

It sure pays to keep a close eye on the cows during calving season. Good catch and hope both mommy and baby do well. Both look good in the pics.

Redgully said:
Usually caused by a mispresentation. A foot back or something that prevents the calf moving up to put pressure on cervix which causes a release of oxytocin and kicks the dilation into gear. Sometimes you can gently poke a finger in cervix putting some pressure on it which can get it to trigger the process but most likely wont be able to get calf out anyway. Solid looking calf by the way. Well done on being alert to the cows situation.

Yes, and I could feel the toes of two feet through the wall of the uterus behind the cervix. I spent some time the first examination using a finger to work the cervix, but to no avail. Very strange.
Another cause of lack of dilation can be a uterine torsion but this wasn't the case either.
I totally forgot to get some dexamethasone and Estrumate while I was at the vet, I'll put it on the list. If I stock that stuff this will never happen again lol.

So yesterday they gave the cow dexamethasone after the c-section in an attempt to dilate her so she could clean. This morning she is straining but has not cleaned. Inspected her and her cervix is still completely constricted. I worked it again for awhile hoping to trigger it, but nothing yet. I have two thoughts. First is that when yesterdays dex wears off she may quit straining and possibly absorb her cleanings. I don't like that idea. Second thought is to wait close to the recommended 36 hours for the dex to wear off and try again with Estrumate or Estrumate and dex again.
This is a new one for me.
Looks like the calf will be a bottle calf as the cow has not made milk at all. Gave her oxytocin yesterday.... there must be a glitch in her hormone system is all I can figure.

Bigfoot said:
I've never had a cow survive a c section.

My cows have all survived, but never had a live calf.. I'm too far away from the vet to get there in a timely fashion, or him to get to me.. by the time you see there's a problem, figure out if it's needed, get him over here, or hitch the trailer, load the cow and bring it over you're looking at 4 hours

wbvs58 said:
Was she really in labour, may have been feeling uncomfortable and doing some straining?????

Ken

Hard labour. To the point of being on the verge of rectal prolapse from the straining.

I got a second opinion from my regular vet today, he claims a cow can eventually clean through a closed cervix. He says if she is still straining tomorrow after the dex has left her system that she may have a bladder infection. So if she is still straining tomorrow I'll start her on a program of short acting penicillin.
He also said he would not have given metacam and dex at the same time, as the metacam will work against the dex to a point.
In the mean time I'll keep getting her up to try to prevent a rectal prolapse.

wbvs58...….. Hey Ken, can cattle get ringwomb like sheep?

Silver, was that cow here we would wait 3 days and give her 5 cc of Estrus and an infusion of a light tea comprised of 1/4 cup of bridine, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 40cc of LA in 2 quarts of water. This is given with an esophageal feeder and worked through the cervix.

What med does the vet have her on for post surgery?

gcreekrch said:

Silver, was that cow here we would wait 3 days and give her 5 cc of Estrus and an infusion of a light tea comprised of 1/4 cup of bridine, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 40cc of LA in 2 quarts of water. This is given with an esophageal feeder and worked through the cervix.

Nothing. She came home loaded up with Liquamycin LA. I have followed up with Biomycin 200 not because of the vets recommendations, but because when I asked my usual vet about her continued straining he surmised that it could be caused by a bladder infection.
She is now slowly cleaning, so apparently my usual vet was correct about them being able to clean through a closed cervix. I'm not convinced she's going to live, but where there is life there is hope I suppose.
That's an interesting recipe. I'm not sure I'd want to put those ingredients in a cows uterus, but if it has worked for you I won't argue the results.

gcreekrch said:

I'm not Ken, but yes I have seen ringwomb in several cattle, sheep and a goat. Not a fun time for sure.

Silver said:
gcreekrch said:

Nothing. She came home loaded up with Liquamycin LA. I have followed up with Biomycin 200 not because of the vets recommendations, but because when I asked my usual vet about her continued straining he surmised that it could be caused by a bladder infection.
She is now slowly cleaning, so apparently my usual vet was correct about them being able to clean through a closed cervix. I'm not convinced she's going to live, but where there is life there is hope I suppose.
That's an interesting recipe. I'm not sure I'd want to put those ingredients in a cows uterus, but if it has worked for you I won't argue the results.

I have never heard of a vet not subscribing at least 10 days follow up with antibiotics. The tea is not infused until about day three and then is used to sterilize, cure and medicate right where it is needed most.

I had minor surgery to remove a misshapen sceptum two falls ago. Was not prescribed any antibiotics and 2 days after driving home got a bad enough infection that I was on antibiotics for 28 days. When I ask the surgeon about why I was not put on antibiotics immediately his excuse was that most people never take the full dosage and end up with a worse infection yet. He did finish by saying he should have given me a round as I was a rancher and knew how they worked.

gcreekrch said:

Dave, I have an older obstetrics text book by Roberts published in 1971. It is very good with the likes of statistics and definitions. It used to be the bible on obstetrics. I was not familiar with the term ringwomb however he says it is a term used in Australia and England as failure of the cervix to dilate in cows and ewes, especially ewes. He mentions it might be erroneously diagnosed because the animal may not yet have entered the 1st or 2nd stage of labour. However when you are on the spot it is hard to overlook the strong contractions and the decision to take it out the side especially with the favourable premises that were available was probably the right one. The straining that is still occurring possibly suggests that there may have been some other issues causing the contraction like straining. I agree with your suggestion of leaving for 3 days, not so sure on your cocktail infusion, sounds like something out of a James Herriot book but gee, when you are there on the spot it is hard to do nothing.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
gcreekrch said:

Dave, I have an older obstetrics text book by Roberts published in 1971. It is very good with the likes of statistics and definitions. It used to be the bible on obstetrics. I was not familiar with the term ringwomb however he says it is a term used in Australia and England as failure of the cervix to dilate in cows and ewes, especially ewes. He mentions it might be erroneously diagnosed because the animal may not yet have entered the 1st or 2nd stage of labour. However when you are on the spot it is hard to overlook the strong contractions and the decision to take it out the side especially with the favourable premises that were available was probably the right one. The straining that is still occurring possibly suggests that there may have been some other issues causing the contraction like straining. I agree with your suggestion of leaving for 3 days, not so sure on your cocktail infusion, sounds like something out of a James Herriot book but gee, when you are there on the spot it is hard to do nothing.

Ken

Used it for years, have seen some very good results with cows cleaning up and breeding back although in this case she wouldn't stay here to see the bull again. Have had the issue several times in later years with ewes.

Poor girl. Sounds similar to the birth of my son haha.

They call it "failure to progress". At least that's what my medical records say.

We had a schisostomus reflexus, a first for us. A diformed calf that need to go out by c-section most of the time. The cow is recovering well despite the long scar. Hope to never see that again. The c-section was done at a vet school.

gcreekrch said:
I have never heard of a vet not subscribing at least 10 days follow up with antibiotics. The tea is

It's been several years since any vet has prescribed follow up antibiotics for me. When I questioned it I was told that a clean surgery won't need follow up, the LA would be suffice. I have to say that I have not had a post c-section infection.
When we were still doing our own c-sections we followed up with a lot of antibiotics, but our conditions did not compare to the sterile environment at the vets.