Cows not calving on time

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Joe

Reaction score
I sold a couple of longhorn cows that I had left back in December to a guy that called looking for longhorn cows. I sold them as assumed bred and not preg checked. The 2 cows calved late March last year and bull was turned in Memorial day, so late May, as of now the cows still haven't calved. Even if he had just missed them cycling when I turned him in, he should've caught them next cycle and they should've calved by now. Bull was only in with 3 cows, bull and cows were in good condition and maintained good condition. Bull was shared with neighbor, has not had a BSE in 2 years. I didn't keep mineral out all the time because the horned cows would tear up the top and allow mineral to get wet, therefore it was put out when it could be utilized and not get wet. I don't have any of those mama cows left and sold my half of the bull and am not obligated in any way to assure those cows calve, just curious as to what all scenarios could cause that as to avoid it in the future. Better mineral program? Possible lazy bull? Will know more on the bull end soon because neighbor turned him back in with his cows in September.

I sold a couple of longhorn cows that I had left back in December to a guy that called looking for longhorn cows. I sold them as assumed bred and not preg checked. The 2 cows calved late March last year and bull was turned in Memorial day, so late May, as of now the cows still haven't calved. Even if he had just missed them cycling when I turned him in, he should've caught them next cycle and they should've calved by now. Bull was only in with 3 cows, bull and cows were in good condition and maintained good condition. Bull was shared with neighbor, has not had a BSE in 2 years. I didn't keep mineral out all the time because the horned cows would tear up the top and allow mineral to get wet, therefore it was put out when it could be utilized and not get wet. I don't have any of those mama cows left and sold my half of the bull and am not obligated in any way to assure those cows calve, just curious as to what all scenarios could cause that as to avoid it in the future. Better mineral program? Possible lazy bull? Will know more on the bull end soon because neighbor turned him back in with his cows in September.
If you have records available, check to see when the bull was turned in with the longhorns. Also check to see if they had calved late in previous
years. The bull is probably key in this in that there are some bulls that can handle one cow in heat but if 2 or more come in at the same time
the live semen count is just too low or weak. In this instance I believe Buck to be correct.

If you have records available, check to see when the bull was turned in with the longhorns. Also check to see if they had calved late in previous
years. The bull is probably key in this in that there are some bulls that can handle one cow in heat but if 2 or more come in at the same time
the live semen count is just too low or weak. In this instance I believe Buck to be correct.
As stated, bull was turned in Memorial Day (May 31) which at earliest should've had them calving March 8 which also means since they haven't calved that he missed 2 heat cycles.

When did the bull come out? That is when you figure the last possible day they can calve. Maybe the bull didn't miss any heat cycles, maybe they weren't cycling. Yes, the bull is often the first reason we come to wondering why... but it might be the cows, the weather might have been a factor in them cycling later in the season. And yes, the bull could have become a dud. We had 35 cow calf pairs out to pasture... Turned bull out... when we recently preg checked there were 6 that were 6-7 months... and the rest open. He obviously had something happen and we did not pick up on it. Put 2 bulls in with 17 and culled several others, and will check in 2 weeks... giving them all time for 2 heats (42 days) and 30 days after the last possible heat to be bred in order to check. Anyone that is not bred at least 30 days will go... bull is still in there just because it is the easiest place to leave him... They will all hopefully be more like 2+ months... but there are some good young cows in there and we just didn't want to ship them for a problem that was not their fault. Don't know what happened to the bull, no obvious signs, injury... didn't bother to check him, he was in good flesh, just shipped him. The worst thing is they should have been calving now along with the others that were 6-7 months when checked ....

When did the bull come out? That is when you figure the last possible day they can calve. Maybe the bull didn't miss any heat cycles, maybe they weren't cycling. Yes, the bull is often the first reason we come to wondering why... but it might be the cows, the weather might have been a factor in them cycling later in the season. And yes, the bull could have become a dud. We had 35 cow calf pairs out to pasture... Turned bull out... when we recently preg checked there were 6 that were 6-7 months... and the rest open. He obviously had something happen and we did not pick up on it. Put 2 bulls in with 17 and culled several others, and will check in 2 weeks... giving them all time for 2 heats (42 days) and 30 days after the last possible heat to be bred in order to check. Anyone that is not bred at least 30 days will go... bull is still in there just because it is the easiest place to leave him... They will all hopefully be more like 2+ months... but there are some good young cows in there and we just didn't want to ship them for a problem that was not their fault. Don't know what happened to the bull, no obvious signs, injury... didn't bother to check him, he was in good flesh, just shipped him. The worst thing is they should have been calving now along with the others that were 6-7 months when checked ....
Pulled the bull Mid September when neighbor needed him. I think they're probably bred, I was just wondering as to why so late calving. If it was just one of them I'd say it was her but being both I just wondered if something else could be going on. I've already warned my neighbor that he might want to get a BSE on the bull and might want to preg his cows. His cows have no particular calving schedule which is why we shared a bull.

Well, the guy that bought the cows has until about June 20th or so for them to calve....sure hope that the bull did not go bad. Did you have any other cows that he was bred to? Hopefully it was just one of those things that they did not cycle earlier and that he did not catch them right odd. Sure don't wish our scenario on anyone.

I'd say preg them cows but with Longhorns the chute becomes an issue...
That's what I suggested to the guy that bought them from me, they went through the chute with no problems when I had them. That way we know for sure if they're bred or open. Interested to hear back from neighbor on the bse on the bull, if I was him I'd be getting my cows preg checked seeing that the ones I sold haven't calved.

Well, the guy that bought the cows has until about June 20th or so for them to calve....sure hope that the bull did not go bad. Did you have any other cows that he was bred to? Hopefully it was just one of those things that they did not cycle earlier and that he did not catch them right odd. Sure don't wish our scenario on anyone.
The 3rd one I had with him got burgered out in the fall so no others on my end with him.

Could be anything. Bull could be bad cows nutrition could be off
Cows could have been stressed and slipped the early stage calf i calved some longhorn heifers 2 years ago the caoves took so much out of them that they didn't breed back last year they are all bred now tho if they do it again they will go. If it's not palpated or blood tested and it gets sold as exposed that's exactly what it is exposed can't guarantee something you don't check.

Could be anything. Bull could be bad cows nutrition could be off
Cows could have been stressed and slipped the early stage calf i calved some longhorn heifers 2 years ago the caoves took so much out of them that they didn't breed back last year they are all bred now tho if they do it again they will go. If it's not palpated or blood tested and it gets sold as exposed that's exactly what it is exposed can't guarantee something you don't check.
They stayed in good condition all year and had plenty of grass.

Can all ways blood test them it's a pain in the ass with longhorns but if you can't get them down a chute due to horn length it can be done. Me personally I'll cut any horn that won't go down a chute
I've ran them through the chute when I had them with no problem, I suggested at this point he get them checked. And I did not guarantee them bred, just assumed bred.

Are they vaccinated for lepto?
No they weren't, I thought of that as well. I also have pines in my pastures, I've heard something about them eating pine needles can cause them to slip a calf? I've had a similar problem to this before with different bull and cows, took them to sale barn and all checked open when should've been bred. That's another reason I'm kinda concerned, is it something on my place causing them to slip a calf or breed late? These longhorns calved previous 2 years like clock work running on my place.

I think it was @Nesikep that had posted about cows eating some sort of evergreen that could cause abortion; back with some of his cattle one time...
We worry most about Lepto here... lots of cases over the years on the dairies... it is carried by dogs, foxes, most any mammal...

I think it was @Nesikep that had posted about cows eating some sort of evergreen that could cause abortion; back with some of his cattle one time...
We worry most about Lepto here... lots of cases over the years on the dairies... it is carried by dogs, foxes, most any mammal...
Ponderosa pines are bad, it's not the pine, but the fungus that's in the pine that'll do it every time

We never had a problem here until the swine invasion.
TAMU recommends vaccination twice a year now.