Not a fan of a zero turn

Help Support CattleToday:

Askme42":2tem2bs1 said:
hurleyjd":2tem2bs1 said:
Not enough hp for that big of a deck.

Interesting comment. I have a 26 BS Vanguard on a 61" Ferris which is plenty of power for running the blade and climbing pond banks. Usually run at ¾ throttle. Hard to say and under what conditions. If commercial usage with regular customers setup on a mowing schedule I'd assume it would be just fine. If on a pasture full of weeds and brush then anything would have to work at it.

I have a Hustler 44 Fastrack ZT also and based upon the reliability of that machine, other than plugs, oil, filters and one battery, zero maintenance since 2005 when purchased, and a rugged very capable machine. Only gripe was harsh ride and the springs I mentioned elsewhere solved that problem and also solved the leaning back problem mentioned which seems to be common with ZTs. I had it (the leaning back) with my Ferris too and it is an IS (industrial service) rated machine, but cured it too with another set of the same springs.

Since Hustler was an early entry into the ZT market and "has survived the test of time" (quality product) I seriously doubt they would make a mistake like that on a machine designed for that market at that price!

Texasmark":qh6omrgf said:
Askme42":qh6omrgf said:
hurleyjd":qh6omrgf said:
Not enough hp for that big of a deck.

Interesting comment. I have a 26 BS Vanguard on a 61" Ferris which is plenty of power for running the blade and climbing pond banks. Usually run at ¾ throttle. Hard to say and under what conditions. If commercial usage with regular customers setup on a mowing schedule I'd assume it would be just fine. If on a pasture full of weeds and brush then anything would have to work at it.

I have a Hustler 44 Fastrack ZT also and based upon the reliability of that machine, other than plugs, oil, filters and one battery, zero maintenance since 2005 when purchased, and a rugged very capable machine. Only gripe was harsh ride and the springs I mentioned elsewhere solved that problem and also solved the leaning back problem mentioned which seems to be common with ZTs. I had it (the leaning back) with my Ferris too and it is an IS (industrial service) rated machine, but cured it too with another set of the same springs.

Since Hustler was an early entry into the ZT market and "has survived the test of time" (quality product) I seriously doubt they would make a mistake like that on a machine designed for that market at that price!
It's the same size motor they run on their 72" super z. Plus it's a rear discharge.

I read a lot about them before I bought my hustler fastrak SD. All of the professional mower forums say they are underpowered.

A homeowner would likely find no faults with the machine. Someone who does it for a living however has higher standards though and they don't care for the Super 104

Interesting. Keeping this rolling, wonder where the engine hp limit exists for 4 stroke air cooled gas engines. I know for Diesel power the sky's the limit. I don't think I've seen a BS over 36 in their big block configuration. I know this on cubes; I have a couple of the BS 656 engines in 18 and 20 hp, the 22 hp I forget, and the 26 Vanguard is up in the 800+ cubes. Just like in the big block dragsters, cubes matter and when I get in a load, like climbing pond banks, the governor turns loose on that 26 and I can certainly feel the difference in torque moving me up the bank even though the 20 that I use on pond banks also, is on a light weight 46" conventional rider and the Ferris is over a thousand # with my added weight being a wash.

jltrent":38hey6ji said:
A lot of people are getting 0-turns and that is making some good deals on buying a good tractor style. I bought a Deere 325 garden tractor style, Kawasaki engine with a 54' deck and it cuts pretty darn steep, for a good deal I thought, with 325 hrs.

IMG_0542.jpg
Good luck on that Kawasaki engine.

we bought a ZD1211 Kubota , best mowers out there for landowners . shaft driven liquid cooled diesel . The kubotas are built in house , hydros motors decks everything unlike the others . They are heavy and not as precise as the gas powered scags toros etc . gas machines will never have the torque to chew through it like a diesel

I'm currently using a Gravely Pro-Stance. Surfer type. Had a bit of a learning curve. But can take it 90% of the places i could get a walk behind.

I've seen people mow with zero turns in places i would have bet them they couldn't. Just takes practice. I have to shift my weight a lot on the surfer. But it helps tremendously.

I would love to try a diesel mower. Maybe next time.

Latest posts