Not a fan of a zero turn

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I bought one a few days ago. Never really thought I'd like one(tried not to let that influence me). Feel like I'm laying down to drive it. It's terrible on banks. I've got one, I guess it's just not going to be able to mow it. First failed attempt, I slid off. The second, I thought if I had some more momentum, I'd make it. You couldn't have drove a knitting needle up my butt with a framing hammer when I slid off that time. It's mine now, so I guess I'll have to use it.

I'll never have another regular, zero turn from now on. I don't have many banks. They will flip over fairly easy if your going up a bank or loading on a trailer and push those arms to hard.

Bigfoot":3ae29ayc said:
I bought one a few days ago. Never really thought I'd like one(tried not to let that influence me). Feel like I'm laying down to drive it. It's terrible on banks. I've got one, I guess it's just not going to be able to mow it. First failed attempt, I slid off. The second, I thought if I had some more momentum, I'd make it. You couldn't have drove a knitting needle up my butt with a framing hammer when I slid off that time. It's mine now, so I guess I'll have to use it.

First one I bought thought
I was retarded I ran into the barn ran over a couple young peach trees I had planted. I was going to take it
back as I had the local dealer to deliver three to find the one I like . They are the only ones that will climb the hill to the house as they are not belt driven. The belt driven were real exciting when the belt drives would slip.
My whole yard is on a 45
degree angle

That is not good! I have never been on one. Still use a push mower. I would rather mow pasture than lawns.

Hope you get more familiar with it. IMPORTANT: Be careful.

What brand and model of mower.
We have commercial exmark, hustler and husqvarna between me, my brother and father.
We operate on extremely steep hill with them running across the slope. Much steeper than a person could drive a tractor or regular rider on.

I had a residential hustler before and it was nothing like the commercial mowers on slopes.

I would never go back to a regular mower.

SoILcattle":2yfqa7bc said:
What brand and model of mower.
We have commercial exmark, hustler and husqvarna between me, my brother and father.
We operate on extremely steep hill with them running across the slope. Much steeper than a person could drive a tractor or regular rider on.

I had a residential hustler before and it was nothing like the commercial mowers on slopes.

I would never go back to a regular mower.

It's a spartan. Ky got some hills now. I'm tellin ya.

We've got a commercial Exmark about 3 years ago. We LOVE it!!! Beats the heck out of the ride-on we had for years. Ours is able to handle slopes and some banks, with ease. We bought it used. We checked out the specs for non-commercial, and realized those would not suit our needs. Fortunately for us, about the time we were looking, a friend of ours was selling his to replace with a new Ferris for the better suspension. So, we jumped on it.

On a good day, it only takes about 3 hours, or so, to get the whole place mowed.

Bigfoot, I know this might sound strange, but try mowing the hill in a different direction. Like left to right, instead of right to left if you were looking at the hill. I used to mow the local park here and it seemed to make a difference for me.

I just have a bottom of the barrel Troy Bilt ZTR from 2005.. It's been a good machine, but the lack of weight and skinny rear tires make it not well suited for hills.

I've found it best to go either straight up or up and at an angle on hills. Weight transfer works with you not against you that way. If I try to go sideways, the uphill drive wheel starts to slip and I'll end up nosing downhill.

I've mowed some steep banks with it, although I don't make a habit of it.

southernultrablack":25t5o7a9 said:
Bigfoot, I know this might sound strange, but try mowing the hill in a different direction. Like left to right, instead of right to left if you were looking at the hill. I used to mow the local park here and it seemed to make a difference for me.

I'll give it a whirl.

You will get use to it and love it. When I first got mine I didn't like it either because I couldn't now places where I could now before with my rider. Now I can mow anywhere with it. U just have to get use to how to use it. I would never go back to a rider.

A lot of people are getting 0-turns and that is making some good deals on buying a good tractor style. I bought a Deere 325 garden tractor style, Kawasaki engine with a 54' deck and it cuts pretty darn steep, for a good deal I thought, with 325 hrs.

IMG_0542.jpg

jltrent":17jk1n3e said:
A lot of people are getting 0-turns and that is making some good deals on buying a good tractor style. I bought a Deere 325 garden tractor style, Kawasaki engine with a 54' deck and it cuts pretty darn steep, for a good deal I thought, with 325 hrs.

IMG_0542.jpg

Those are good mowers. I have a GT 235 with the 54" deck. I just bought a 325 just like yours that did run for 500$. Turns out there might be more wrong than I thought I think the gear on the camshaft is striped.

The hill it won't navigate is a ditch bank. No option but length ways.

Bigfoot":1lev2qkr said:
The hill it won't navigate is a ditch bank. No option but length ways.

I had been thinking about trading my rider for a zero turn until reading about hill problem. I have one area that I have to scoot far to the left and lean out to stay on the thing. Probably 40 degrees and I'm not sure there's any way to mow it except length ways because the flat bottom is only about a foot wide.

bse":3kfia0k1 said:
I'll never have another regular, zero turn from now on. I don't have many banks. They will flip over fairly easy if your going up a bank or loading on a trailer and push those arms to hard.
That's exactly what happened to my neighbor, a guy who's worked with equipment all his life on the farm and logging.. nearly killed him.

Latest posts