Normal? Red Bull X White Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
whitetailcalf.jpg

ollie?":2i9ae1oq said:
I'd say not normal.

There is a big population of Whitetail deer in the area.

Ya think maybe one left some chromosomes laying around????

The blond color when crossing a red animal with a white animal with the diluter genes (i.e. Charolais) is normal. However, the white tail and belly are a bit unusual. I'm guessing that the red bull may have white paterns in his genetic background. For example, I believe that solid red Shorthorns can have parents that had white markings.

WE get calves like that all the time when we breed to Maines...Not the color but the pattern (Black with the white).. While it is not normal it is at least present on 5% of the calves.. Some will also have white cannons or some other markings..

the pattern here could also be caused be developmental white but who is to say as I don't understand that completely.

VanC":2nuroium said:
Looks like she's got some Pinzgauer in her. What breed was the bull?

Registered Red Angus Bull X Registered Charolais Cow

I noticed some Red Angus bull pictures on here a while back that had a white tail switch.

Beefy":1d3dffzz said:
Not Uncommon. The white tail comes from your charolais. virtually all of my skunktailed cattle (and i have a lot) are descended from charolais. it seems to happen mostly with charolais x angus.
http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/CowPatterns.html

It still has to have something to do with the red color. I have bred several Char bulls to Black Brangus cows with no color anomalies like this. They are always grey, black, tan, or white with nothing but solid colors throughout.

I had a few black skunktail cows that I bought from a man down the road. He swore they were angus/charlais. When bred to an angus bull they still threw the tail. It really doesn't matter to me what they were, the calves did well.

cfpinz

I've seen alot of Charolais cross cattle colored up like that. Must come from the Charolais, maybe something from when they were bred up. The first Charolais cattle that were brought into the US came through Mexico and were bred up on other breeds.

Normal.

Common when you have a charbull over traditional sims. Although my charbull dont give those white tails, to bad course i think that looks cool.

MikeC":2n3817dv said:
Beefy":2n3817dv said:
Not Uncommon. The white tail comes from your charolais. virtually all of my skunktailed cattle (and i have a lot) are descended from charolais. it seems to happen mostly with charolais x angus.

It still has to have something to do with the red color. I have bred several Char bulls to Black Brangus cows with no color anomalies like this. They are always grey, black, tan, or white with nothing but solid colors throughout.

Its your particular cow! she has the genes. for what it worth i've never got a skunktail using a charolais bull (unless the cow had a skunktail to begin with), only from Charolais cows crossed with angus bulls. and its a pretty persistant gene.

we had one born this year damn was a dark brown socked charolais calf and sire was purebred red angus and the calf turned out brown with pure white socks on all his feet

Beefy":1so3e25c said:
MikeC":1so3e25c said:
Beefy":1so3e25c said:

Its your particular cow! she has the genes. for what it worth i've never got a skunktail using a charolais bull (unless the cow had a skunktail to begin with), only from Charolais cows crossed with angus bulls. and its a pretty persistant gene.

According to the AICA the cow is 32/32 % Charolais.

I went all the way back to 1962 and nothing else in the pedigree but Charolais.

I still say it lies somewhere in the white on the Angus udder.
Her belly is white also.

I've bred too many Brangus cows to Char bulls without these kind of markings.

Latest posts