Normal? Red Bull X White Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":2eq544rh said:
Beefy":2eq544rh said:
MikeC":2eq544rh said:
Beefy":2eq544rh said:
Not Uncommon. The white tail comes from your charolais. virtually all of my skunktailed cattle (and i have a lot) are descended from charolais. it seems to happen mostly with charolais x angus.
http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/CowPatterns.html

It still has to have something to do with the red color. I have bred several Char bulls to Black Brangus cows with no color anomalies like this. They are always grey, black, tan, or white with nothing but solid colors throughout.

Its your particular cow! she has the genes. for what it worth i've never got a skunktail using a charolais bull (unless the cow had a skunktail to begin with), only from Charolais cows crossed with angus bulls. and its a pretty persistant gene.

According to the AICA the cow is 32/32 % Charolais.

I went all the way back to 1962 and nothing else in the pedigree but Charolais.

I still say it lies somewhere in the white on the Angus udder.
Her belly is white also.

I've bred too many Brangus cows to Char bulls without these kind of markings.
why would a black brangus have thoses type of markings anyway with the dominent black gene and pigment. most of the red angus or lighter in between the legs and tail area. id say its a combo of both parents.

why would a black brangus have thoses type of markings anyway with the dominent black gene and pigment. most of the red angus or lighter in between the legs and tail area. id say its a combo of both parents.
I know they (Brangus) have the dominant black gene but they still come out white, tan, red, grey, or black because of the dilutor gene.

Or...because of the white tail deer chromosomes... :|

Alice

MikeC":3egmbj5z said:
I know they (Brangus) have the dominant black gene but they still come out white, tan, red, grey, or black because of the dilutor gene.
not seen all those colors before with that cross . grey and tanish but were all solids. just seems like the lighter pigment on the reds would let more of the char color pattern come out in those areas

ALACOWMAN":12mvdg0g said:
MikeC":12mvdg0g said:
not seen all those colors before with that cross . grey and tanish but were all solids. just seems like the lighter pigment on the reds would let more of the char color pattern come out in those areas

The base color and dilution genes are indepenent of the genes that produce the white spotting patterns so it the amount of white really has nothing to do with the fact that the other color may be cream, grey, red or black. On white cattle however,the expression of these spotting genes are not detectable.

MikeC":13bpi8s1 said:
Beefy":13bpi8s1 said:
MikeC":13bpi8s1 said:
Beefy":13bpi8s1 said:
Not Uncommon. The white tail comes from your charolais. virtually all of my skunktailed cattle (and i have a lot) are descended from charolais. it seems to happen mostly with charolais x angus.
http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/CowPatterns.html

It still has to have something to do with the red color. I have bred several Char bulls to Black Brangus cows with no color anomalies like this. They are always grey, black, tan, or white with nothing but solid colors throughout.

Its your particular cow! she has the genes. for what it worth i've never got a skunktail using a charolais bull (unless the cow had a skunktail to begin with), only from Charolais cows crossed with angus bulls. and its a pretty persistant gene.

According to the AICA the cow is 32/32 % Charolais.

I went all the way back to 1962 and nothing else in the pedigree but Charolais.

I still say it lies somewhere in the white on the Angus udder.
Her belly is white also.

I've bred too many Brangus cows to Char bulls without these kind of markings.

It really surprises me that as a Charolais breeder you do not already know and/or are unable to accept the fact that Charolais are responsible for occasionally throwing white-tailed calves when bred to other breeds. how many more color genetics links do we need to post? why cant you understand that a single white purebred charolais cow may carry this gene and a separate white purebred charolais bull may not? havent you ever seen any gray skunktailed calves at the salebarn, resulting from Brangus bulls on Charolais cows?

Mike
We've found several lines in the Charolias breed that will throw this type of calf. We try to avoid them but it can crop out several generations later when you least expect it. :shock:

We bought a bull once that threw spotted calves (like a paint horse) at birth. By the time the calves were couple months of age the red color had lightened until you couldn't tell them from the rest. We didn't use him more than the one season - He would be fine for a X breeding program (nice stout calves) but not good when you're a Charolais breeder and the calf crop looks like you used a Simmental bull the year before. :mad:

I've seen that alot from Char bulls on Hereford cows. Don't know why, but it comes through somehow.

Got our first charolais x tarentaise calf today, she has a skunktail, looks the same as some of our char x angus calves skunktails.

Latest posts