NO HAY FOR SALE- Next Year

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":3o57cbxo said:
rgv":3o57cbxo said:
51 bales from 5 acres eh.

Who got 51 bales from 5 acres? Are they growing mary jane or what? :lol:

Any thing over 6 bales per acre and I need and areal photo for proof. :)

It's just across the road from my place, hasn't been cut in a year and a half. Its actually less than five acres because of the huge oak tree in the middle of it. I cut and baled a 10 acre pasture a month ago and got 123 4x5 rolls. It had been fertilized and then the rains came............ :shock: It stopped my tractor and cutter 2 times, choked the baler 4 times. Broke chain, stripped sprocket.... :shock: Lots of expense and hard work, long hours in these overgrown fields. :help:

Anybody ever think TNMASTER might bale his own hay or buy it from kin? It really gets my goat you people are complaining about hay prices. Supply and demand! If you have more demand than you have supply of your own thats your own fault.

Sizmic

You think prices are high now, wait until Jan!

I bought hay last year for $65 a bale........ I had a bad case of RED @SS over it.

Then January rolled around and prices went to $100 plus per roll!

After two years of high prices in Texas, I'm hoarding two years worth of hay for $25.00 per bale. Two more trailer loads and I am done.

I will never get caught short on hay again.

Still makes me mad that with what I over paid in hay prices for the last two years, I could have paid for a hay shed! :mad:

TexLonghornRanch":3147kcpw said:

I bought hay last year for $65 a bale........ I had a bad case of RED @SS over it.

After two years of high prices in Texas, I'm hoarding two years worth of hay for $25.00 per bale. Two more trailer loads and I am done.

Still makes me mad that with what I over paid in hay prices for the last two years, I could have paid for a hay shed! :mad:

Its hard to turn back and look at money spent. I never think I have the money for anything, till I look back and see where it all went. The folks that spend lots of money on feeding the cows have spent years building a genitic line that would all be lost if it were taken to the auction barn. It does pay to feed them if you have years invested in the genitics. ;-)

Not if you can't soak up a shortfall every now and then! I now regret all the years I fussed and argued with my father because we always rounded out of winter with 1/3 of the hay left over. It may be heartwrenching to think of parting with "Snowball" but if you are in those genetics for the long haul you better make sure your land can support her!

Pay the money and be glad you made the world a better place for everybody!

Sizmic

Brute 23":1eho57bb said:
rgv":1eho57bb said:
51 bales from 5 acres eh.

Who got 51 bales from 5 acres? Are they growing mary jane or what? :lol:

Any thing over 6 bales per acre and I need and areal photo for proof. :)

About four years ago I baled 23 on 2 acres before I gave up and burned the rest of the windrows. Gave the 23 bales away. It was the rankest hay I've ever baled. I'd stop the baler and the windrow would move toward me till it finally broke free. It was a royal pain.

If you live near a steel mill or a tube rolling mill they have trucks going to the Houston area or the DFW area on a daily basis. This might be a good place to find somebody to backhaul you a load of hay. I had a steel supplier backhaul me a load from Missouri last year and it cost about $15 a bale in freight + the cost of the hay. But the hay was excellent compared to what they were selling in my area.
On another note, selling your cows at a deep discount may be more expensive than taking a beating this year and then buying more next year if the weater returns to normal. Last year they sold some pretty good cows for $600-$700 that will bring $900 this year. So in hindsight that extra $150 to feed them wasn't so bad.
Good luck

I have all the hay that I need for what few head I have. I live in the north east Tx. (Texarkana) and have about 60 bailes of bahaia to get rid of. Anyone interested? $30 a roll.

TexLonghornRanch":t9m6tyv2 said:

Amen brother! I learned my lesson the last two years. This year I've got all the barns full of hay and two years supply tarped on the ground.

bird dog":2y0als6i said:
If you live near a steel mill or a tube rolling mill they have trucks going to the Houston area or the DFW area on a daily basis. This might be a good place to find somebody to backhaul you a load of hay. I had a steel supplier backhaul me a load from Missouri last year and it cost about $15 a bale in freight + the cost of the hay. But the hay was excellent compared to what they were selling in my area.
Good luck

I really think backhauls would be a good solution. I looked at the freight from here to Tenn and it would be around $27/roll to get it to Chattanooga if you could get a back haul. This would mean the hay would run around $57 - $77 depending on type hay purchased. Still a lot but doable.

Latest posts