NO HAY FOR SALE- Next Year

Help Support CattleToday:

ironpeddler

Reaction score
There is no hay in East and Middle TN worth the money to purchase. 5x5 bale are bring $95-120 depending on the type of hay. It cost $30-40 a round bale just to transport hay from wetter areas. The cheapest way out is to ration your hay and purchase corn gluten and feed.
Next year there will be no hay for sale either. All the hay producers that feed hay will not sell their excess. 40% of smaller livestock producers purchase most to 50% of their hay. You will see these smaller producers harvest their own hay or get out of the business. There will not be any more cheap round bales to purchase for a long time.

Same here in Ky, it will be a long time before hay prices come back down. the bluegrass sales here in the central part of the state have been going til late trying to get all the cattle sold.
Should be less to feed for the next few years also.
tough times. but a part of it...

man thats a bold statement.just how in the world can you gurantee that they wont go up on their price.do you have an iron cladd written contract with them.people here are charging $20 or more to bale hay.but hay is selling for $12 to $25 a bale.an some are still asking $30 to $50 a bale.

I can't make hay for $30 a roll any more. the price of everthing has gone up. If it starts raining again and there is plenty of hay I will still have to get $45 or more a roll (5X5). I would like to let some of my hay land go but in a dry year I have to have it to make enough to make the winter.
Sometimes I think I would be money ahead to buy hay for $50 a roll every year and sell my hay equipment and let someone else roll the dice.

TNMasterBeefProducer":2c13v1hi said:
Iron peddler, I guarantee you that the guys I get my hay from will have hay next year. I guarantee you that they will sale me their hay. I guarantee you that it will cost no more than what it did this year.

I guarantee you dont know what you are talking about...

I miss CB for BS like this. :shock:

The only thing I would guarantee is that the sun will come up in the morning. :roll:

TNMasterBeefProducer":3apmlpww said:
Iron peddler, I guarantee you that the guys I get my hay from will have hay next year. I guarantee you that they will sale me their hay. I guarantee you that it will cost no more than what it did this year.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

alabama":zdtaxhtm said:
Sometimes I think I would be money ahead to buy hay for $50 a roll every year and sell my hay equipment and let someone else roll the dice.

That is what the extension says but when somebody renigs on your standing order or a drought comes, it pays to do it yourself. JMO

Just a thought but would it be feasible to line up a backhaul for a flatbed truck bringing hay into your area? I know some boys who have a semi and flatbed to haul hay on and they could probably put their hands on a couple thousand rolls. Problem would be coming home empty. Seems like that would be costly for everyone.

TNMasterBeefProducer":3k7813j4 said:

I'll guarantee you 101% you're more FOS than a thousand Christmas Turkeys.Our County has contracted to haul in 8-10,000 4X5 Rolls of Bermuda from Texas.There aint no Hay here. The gougers have been getting 80.00 + for Hay.People have even brought Hay here on their own unrolled it and square baled it and are selling the squares for 8.00. It's arrogant people like you that think they can predict the weather for next year, and the "Hay" economy.

TNMasterBeefProducer":30wu2ifx said:

You've been in the sauce again, eh?

cfpinz

Only guarantees are that we will have some type of weather next year, next month, next day. What it will be is anyone's guess. Weather, is the only thing that will influence hay production.

Angus/Brangus":10kcih5l said:
There's still an abundance of hay here around the Wharton area. A neighbor called me week before last and said his tractor broke down and asked me to bale on halves. I ended up with an extra 110 4x5's. It wasn't great hay but the cows didn't reject it either. If you had a way to haul it you could find plenty of hay down here.

Also have a relative with an extra 500 small square bales. No one wanted to buy it as there is no storage space left.

We've got the same situation here, thousands of rolls of hay and no where to go with them. A new neighbor asked me to bale his front 5 ac. pasture. Made 51 4x5 rolls. We have a pick-up truck and a 32' hay trailer I think I'll load and head East with it. I can get it out to the east side of Memphis and see if anybody wants it. I figger I can haul 18 rolls and return for $60.00 a roll and do two trips a week. Might turn into a full time job! :lol:

BusterBrown":1b95rt4d said:
Angus/Brangus":1b95rt4d said:
There's still an abundance of hay here around the Wharton area. A neighbor called me week before last and said his tractor broke down and asked me to bale on halves. I ended up with an extra 110 4x5's. It wasn't great hay but the cows didn't reject it either. If you had a way to haul it you could find plenty of hay down here.

Also have a relative with an extra 500 small square bales. No one wanted to buy it as there is no storage space left.

We've got the same situation here, thousands of rolls of hay and no where to go with them. A new neighbor asked me to bale his front 5 ac. pasture. Made 51 4x5 rolls. We have a pick-up truck and a 32' hay trailer I think I'll load and head East with it. I can get it out to the east side of Memphis and see if anybody wants it. I figger I can haul 18 rolls and return for $60.00 a roll and do two trips a week. Might turn into a full time job! :lol:
Once you get to Memphis you are 500 miles from East Tennessee. Feed is still cheaper than hay.

Jogeephus":ur4y6msk said:
alabama":ur4y6msk said:

That is what the extension says but when somebody renigs on your standing order or a drought comes, it pays to do it yourself. JMO

Just a thought but would it be feasible to line up a backhaul for a flatbed truck bringing hay into your area? I know some boys who have a semi and flatbed to haul hay on and they could probably put their hands on a couple thousand rolls. Problem would be coming home empty. Seems like that would be costly for everyone.

Yep that's for sure! Depending on the capriciousness of the hay market, driven by the capriciousness of the weather and people, certainly puts you in a risky position, and certainly one I wouldn't want to be in, but that is a personal decision we all have to make. I've seen hay here and especially in the Shiner area go from $20 a roll to $120 a roll or more, for just plain old hay, nothing particularly special. This year we've got plenty of hay. I remember the 96 drought though when Shiner looked like Saudi Arabia and we lost our cotton here too, and they were trucking in dairy mix hay from north Texas, Kansas, and New Mexico. Stuff was going for over $100 per roll or big square and guys camping out in the parking lot overnight to buy it off the truck when they arrived first thing in the morning. First guy in line bought the whole truckload and they beat the h3ll out of him! Guys at the end of their rope, out of hay, out of grass, out of feed, and out of money, were hauling cattle to the sale barn and the weekly sale was going until three in the morning, and even then they were sometimes turning cattle away because there just wasn't any more room in the barn. One guy in this situation drove back home, climbed up on the top of the trailer with the 30-30 and shot every cow and put the last bullet through his own head. BAD stuff...

Last year we were powder dry too and in pretty bad shape til the fall; we did make some hay but then the winter turned VERY nasty; worst I've seen it here since I was a little kid, and we lost 4 head, but what can you do?? The weather is becoming more and more capricious; it's always either feast or famine. Last year we went most of the summer with about maybe 2 inches of rain all total. This year it rains for two months straight. Part of why I quit row crops; can't afford that kind of risk.

One thing 96 taught me is that when hay goes above $100 a roll, you might as well sell down to nearly nothing because a cow will eat her own worth in less than a month, then what have you got?? The $100 hay is dried manure and you still have a thin cow you have to sell, probably for less than they were selling for a month before... lousy situation but if you have to rely on high dollar hay, or like a guy here that couldn't even get hay in 96, had to feed them cubes by the pallet load, you might as well sell and wait for better times. The guy feeding cubes was a seedstock producer who'd take a killing at the sale barn, but typical cow-calf guy could NEVER afford to feed that way!

There are plenty of guys on this site that will tell you that you're a fool if you're baling hay for yourself, if you're baling with machinery more than three years old, or if you're baling less than a bazillion bales a year, but if you don't want to be held hostage when hay is short then you darn sure better be. We're running a nearly 20 year old mower, older than that rakes, and a 26 year old round baler and we do fine. Not saying that you still can't find yourself behind the 8-ball, because last year there just wasn't any grass to bale til later in the year and this year it rained until about this month so you couldn't cut and bale anyway, but still it's nice to know that what ever is out there is mine if I can get it, and I don't have to rely on anybody else to bale it.

Things are going to get more and more uncertain over time, not less, and anything you can do to reduce you're exposure to uncertainty and secure your inputs just makes good sense and certainly reduces your risk. JMHO! OL JR :)

Crowderfarms":2xo8kevc said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":2xo8kevc said:

I'll guarantee you 101% you're more FOS than a thousand Christmas Turkeys.Our County has contracted to haul in 8-10,000 4X5 Rolls of Bermuda from Texas.There aint no Hay here. The gougers have been getting 80.00 + for Hay.People have even brought Hay here on their own unrolled it and square baled it and are selling the squares for 8.00. It's arrogant people like you that think they can predict the weather for next year, and the "Hay" economy.

I agree on that FOS statement - that boy must have bumped his head on something.

My question is this: Who can put pencil on paper and show me how they can afford $80 / roll hay and still make anything on cattle?
I'd bet that the horse that people bought for the kid's 4H project is really looking like a money vacuum right now - should've taken the rabbit project instead!

Bullbuyer":n2if21ej said:
Crowderfarms":n2if21ej said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":n2if21ej said:

I agree on that FOS statement - that boy must have bumped his head on something.

My question is this: Who can put pencil on paper and show me how they can afford $80 / roll hay and still make anything on cattle?
I'd bet that the horse that people bought for the kid's 4H project is really looking like a money vacuum right now - should've taken the rabbit project instead!

BB I saw imported trash go for $150 last year. People will pay it or else they'll have animals repo'd by the humane society. I got sick to death of seeing all the horses confiscated on the news channels last year. Over and over. Poor people couldn't feed 'em.

This year I have 570 bales that are surplus - and counting. EVERYONE has horse quality coastal hay here. No irrigation costs either.

the deal ios some people will not feed their stock in a drought.nor will they pay what they have to for hay or feed.an they wont sell them before they get pulled down to bad.

Latest posts