No Halloween pranks anymore

Help Support CattleToday:

in the 70's there would be kids loaded in the back trucks throwing water balloons going down main street (town was about 10,000 back then i think)

The big deal when I was growing up was building a quick bonfire under the only traffic light in town sometime after midnight. 3-4 pickups each loaded with wooden pallets, toss 'em in the middle of the intersection and pour on the diesel/gasoline and light it off and drive off before the only constable for miles around showed up to call the VFD..
I never took part in such shennanigans...way past my bedtime.
;)

When halloween came , me and my friend ronnie, would go get our friend calvin, and we would go ni&&er knockin, calvin was a kid of a different color, we always had a great time, and he was a great sport. We teased him mercilessly, as he did us, a great era.

It was rough where I grew up. You decide if it was vandalism. These were not little kids.

1. Putting sugar in gas tanks. Tractor, car, etc.
2. Elementary school had all the lower level windows broke out.
3. Turning out-house over. One farmer got caught inside. They pushed it over on the door. He was too big to crawl out through the hole.
4. Taking a big wad of newspaper filled with cow manure. Put it at the front door. Light it with a match and knock on the door. You can imagine what comes next.
5. Put a goat up on a house roof. Usually tied to the chimney.
6. Jacking cars up and taking the wheels off. Rolling them over the hill.
7. Get a big tractor tire. Take it to the top of the hill and rolling it off. Object is to have a target. A barn, chicken house, etc. At the least take out some fences.
8. Setting fire to about anything, especially hay stored outside.

It was rough back in the day. I think what stopped it was that it got out of hand. Seems like I remember a farmer shot a couple high school boys.

The county to the east of where I was raised had a bad reputation for "rough shod" inhabitants. It was, back then, the only county near us that was "wet". There are lots of stories. A cattle trader was leaving a saloon one night, a guy he cheated slit his belly open. He was literally holding his guts in when they took him to the hospital. My brother was in a pool room one evening when a guy smashed a guy's face in with a pool stick.

But the thing I remember most was a gang that would block a car in on the highway late at night. They would park on a side road and when a car came by, they would block it in - one in front, one behind and one on the side. It got to be a regular threat. So this guy we knew started carrying a pump shotgun. They engaged him one night late. Big mistake. He stopped his car and got out blazing. I don't think he shot them but double ought shot sure put some holes in their cars.

Nesikep said:
I don't like pranks that cause damage, and the best ones are funny and original with minimal risk of injury

I agree. I hate pranks. They always get out of hand. There were a couple guys in my fraternity that started a little prank war. I can't remember what all happened but the chapter president had to step in with threat of expulsion to get things to stop. I was not involved.

Bright Raven said:
It was rough where I grew up. You decide if it was vandalism. These were not little kids.

3. Turning out-house over. One farmer got caught inside. They pushed it over on the door. He was too big to crawl out through the hole.
4. Taking a big wad of newspaper filled with cow manure. Put it at the front door. Light it with a match and knock on the door. You can imagine what comes next.
7. Get a big tractor tire. Take it to the top of the hill and rolling it off. Object is to have a target. A barn, chicken house, etc. At the least take out some fences.

It was rough back in the day. I think what stopped it was that it got out of hand. Seems like I remember a farmer shot a couple high school boys.
That's all vandalism there, not brains were involved to make it funny or anything

If they just put the car on jackstands, that would just be a mild annoyance that wouldn't cause damage, but rolling the tires down a ravine becomes more than that

Just as an example of a prank I'd do, is I'd set parental controls on a TV so no channels other than the shopping channel or something could be watched

Bright Raven said:

And you're from Ky aren't you? That's a little much even from what I remember, but you know what I'm talking about. When I was a kid, Halloween was not a good time to be out, and one always wondered what they would wake up to the next morning.

herofan said:
Bright Raven said:

And you're from Ky aren't you? That's a little much even from what I remember, but you know what I'm talking about. When I was a kid, Halloween was not a good time to be out, and one always wondered what they would wake up to the next morning.

Born and raised. The fact is, people talk about how bad youngsters are today, maybe they are but they seem more restrained than they were back in the 50s.

Bright Raven said:
Born and raised. The fact is, people talk about how bad youngsters are today, maybe they are but they seem more restrained than they were back in the 50s.

I've noticed that too. One thing I really notice teaching in high school is how it's okay if everyone has their own style these days. I remember past decades when there was a certain style, like longer hair for guys, for example. If you had short hair, you could bet you would have comments made about it. If your jeans were a little baggy or seemed a little short, one might as well prepare for teasing. It's like people were always noticing physical things to make fun of others. Heck, these days I see hair that is long, short, buzzed, greasy, pink, pompadour x 10, and nobody cares. I see guys wear stuff today that probably would have gotten them beat up in my day, but nobody notices today.

I've asked both my kids from time to time over the years if they ever feel like anyone bully's them, and they look at me like I've lost my mind. I'm sure bullying happens. That's what they say school shootings stem from, but I just don't see teasing and bullying as a norm like when I was in school.

herofan said:
Bright Raven said:

I've noticed that too. One thing I really notice teaching in high school is how it's okay if everyone has their own style these days. I remember past decades when there was a certain style, like longer hair for guys, for example. If you had short hair, you could bet you would have comments made about it. If your jeans were a little baggy or seemed a little short, one might as well prepare for teasing. It's like people were always noticing physical things to make fun of others. Heck, these days I see hair that is long, short, buzzed, greasy, pink, pompadour x 10, and nobody cares. I see guys wear stuff today that probably would have gotten them beat up in my day, but nobody notices today.

I've asked both my kids from time to time over the years if they ever feel like anyone bully's them, and they look at me like I've lost my mind. I'm sure bullying happens. That's what they say school shootings stem from, but I just don't see teasing and bullying as a norm like when I was in school.

Peer pressure to "conform" was brutal in elementary school and high school in the 50s and 60s. I entered college in the 60s, at that time the pressure to "conform" was beginning to breakdown. After that, tolerance and individuality really got traction. As a result, today we all see what you are describing. More tolerance for others to live the lifestyle they desire.

Yep they're all marching down the road and absolutely none of them have a clue where they're going and most don't care.

To much crime now. They would probably think you were up to no good and shoot you. Lots of folks right here on CT have said as much if you come messing around their place.

Latest posts