No Decline in Obesity Rates.

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms

Reaction score
Obesity Rates Show No Decline in US
By KEVIN FREKING,AP
Posted: 2007-08-27 16:36:54
WASHINGTON (AP) - Loosen the belt buckle another notch: Obesity rates continued to climb in 31 states last year, and no state showed a decline.

Mississippi became the first state to crack the 30 percent barrier for adults considered to be obese. West Virginia and Alabama were just behind, according to the Trust for America's Health, a research group that focuses on disease prevention.

Colorado continued its reign as the leanest state in the nation with an obesity rate projected at 17.6 percent.

This year's report, for the first time, looked at rates of overweight children ages 10 to 17. The District of Columbia had the highest percentage - 22.8 percent. Utah had the lowest - 8.5 percent.

Health officials say the latest state rankings provide evidence that the nation has a public health crisis on its hands.

Unfortunately, we're treating it like a mere inconvenience instead of the emergency that it is," said Dr. James Marks, senior vice president at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, a philanthropy devoted to improving health care.

Officials at the Trust for America's Health want the government to play a larger role in preventing obesity. People who are overweight are at an increased risk for diabetes, heart problems and other chronic diseases that contribute to greater health care costs.

"It's one of those issues where everyone believes this is an epidemic, but it's not getting the level of political and policymaker attention that it ought to," said Jeffrey Levi, the organization's executive director. "As every candidate for president talks about health care reform and controlling health care cost costs, if we don't home in on this issue, none of their proposals are going to be affordable."

At the same time, many believe weight is a personal choice and responsibility. Levi doesn't dispute that notion, but he said society can help people make good choices.

"If we want kids to eat healthier food, we have to invest the money for school nutrition programs so that school lunches are healthier," he said. "If we want people to be more physically active, then there have to be safe places to be active. That's not just a class issue. We've designed suburban communities where there are no sidewalks for anybody to go out and take a walk."

To measure obesity rates, Trust for America's Health compares data from 2003-2005 with 2004-2006. It combines information from three years to improve the accuracy of projections. The data come from a survey of height and weight taken over the telephone. Because the information comes from a personal estimate, some believe it is conservative.

Indeed, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released a study last year noting a national obesity rate of about 32 percent - a higher rate than was cited for any of the states in the Trust for America's Health report. The CDC's estimate came from weighing people rather than relying on telephone interviews, officials explained.

Generally, anyone with a body mass index greater than 30 is considered obese. The index is a ratio that takes into account height and weight. The overweight range is 25 to 29.9. Normal is 18.5 to 24.9. People with a large amount of lean muscle mass, such as athletes, can show a large body mass index without having an unhealthy level of fat.

A lack of exercise is a huge factor in obesity rates. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found last year that more than 22 percent of Americans did not engage in any physical activity in the past month. The percentage is greater than 30 percent in four states: Mississippi, Louisiana, Kentucky and Tennessee.

Meanwhile, Minnesotans led the way when it came to exercise. An estimated 15.4 percent of the state's residents did not engage an any physical exercise - the best rate in the nation. Still, the state ranked 28th overall when it came to the percentage of obese adults.

Another factor in obesity rates is poverty. The five poorest states were all in the top 10 when it came to obesity rates. An exception to that rule was the District of Columbia and New Mexico. Both had high poverty rates, but also one of the lower obesity rates among adults.

Poverty can lead to less safe neighborhoods, which deter children from playing. It can lead to fewer grocery stores offering fruits and vegetables, and it can lead to greater reliance on fast food, officials said.

"It seems the cheapest foods are the worst ones for you," Marks said.

Officials said the report is not designed to stigmatize states with high obesity rates but to stir them into action.

"These are the states where the urgency is the greatest. They need not to wait for others to lead. They need to become the leaders," Marks said. "It's the only way that they can restore the health of their children and their families. It's the only way that they can improve their economic competitiveness."

On the Net:

Trust for America's Health: http://healthyamericans.org

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL. [/b]

Beaux Pilgrim just wouldn't sell a "fat yellow chicken". He had our health in mind :lol:

BMI is bullcrap, if we were all cookie cutter copies of each other it might work, but it doesn't take body type into account all it takes is height and weight. Also, they keep tweaking it so the numbers stay high, good way to keep that research job or sell your diet pills or books.

Zach Thomas 5' 11" 245lbs BMI 34.2 - Obese
fb_AAHQ066_8x10~Zach-Thomas-Posters.jpg

Jason Taylor 6' 6" 255lbs 29.5 BMI - Overweight-Bordering on Obese
3076403beach.jpg

Reggie Bush 6' 203lbs 27.5 BMI - Overweight
reggie1.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I know there are obese folks out there, but I wanted to show some examples of the flaws in the BMI system.

Here's the menu at the local elementary, do you think this teaches kids good eating habits? They give them 1% milk & put low fat cheese on the pizza & tacos to get the fat content down. They bake the chicken nuggets instead of deep frying. But they are still catering to fulfilling the taste for pizza, tacos, cheese fries, corndogs on a regular basis.

page3_2.png

Please everyone - STOP! This is more of Crowder's infatuation with his women folk - he is in therapy to get over this addiction and we all need to help keep him on track to get over this thing. We need to steer him away from anything that has to with obesity and things which are grossly oversized.
His lovely wife is currently making arrangements to trade his truck in for a Ford Ranger and I will be swapping all his cattle for an equal number of Dexters and Mini-Herfs.
Any and all transportation assistance will be greatly appreciated!

BB

Bullbuyer":1efl8n8b said:
His lovely wife is currently making arrangements to trade his truck in for a Ford Ranger and I will be swapping all his cattle for an equal number of Dexters and Mini-Herfs.
Any and all transportation assistance will be greatly appreciated!

BB

I'd help you, but my wife did the same thing to me a while back. Think we could hook your trailer up to my new truck??

truck.jpg

"If we want kids to eat healthier food, we have to invest the money for school nutrition programs so that school lunches are healthier,"

I don't think making school lunches healthier will solve the obesity problem. The kids don't eat them as it is. Have you ever tried school lunches, they suck!!!!! So my solution is this…………Keep school lunches as disgusting as they are and develop a program that will teach the parents how to make school breakfast, dinners and snacks, problem solved. Our children will look like little toothpicks in no time.

Tegerian":1i6fvxd6 said:
Zach Thomas 5' 11" 245lbs BMI 34.2 - Obese
fb_AAHQ066_8x10~Zach-Thomas-Posters.jpg

Jason Taylor 6' 6" 255lbs 29.5 BMI - Overweight-Bordering on Obese
3076403beach.jpg

Reggie Bush 6' 203lbs 27.5 BMI - Overweight
reggie1.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I know there are obese folks out there, but I wanted to show some examples of the flaws in the BMI system.

You make a point, but there is one weakness. Trained athletes are not the folks I see at the Fountain Drinks counter at the convenience store. (32 oz of soda for 1.69) Athletes have a very high training level and their body fat is usually very low. But, when they retire and the activity level goes down they wind up doing Nutri-System commercials. Also, for whatever reason, NFL players have a shorter life expectancy than the average. Several years shorter.

show steer up":1thyia23 said:
"If we want kids to eat healthier food, we have to invest the money for school nutrition programs so that school lunches are healthier,"

I don't think making school lunches healthier will solve the obesity problem. The kids don't eat them as it is. Have you ever tried school lunches, they suck!!!!! So my solution is this…………Keep school lunches as disgusting as they are and develop a program that will teach the parents how to make school breakfast, dinners and snacks, problem solved. Our children will look like little toothpicks in no time.

This probably don't help neither:
Colo. school bans tag on its playground

Bachelor: Iv got one better than that………..
Just the other day, in "poverty stricken New Mexico,"
They rounded up all the stray cats. Now our poor little
porkers don't even have their exercise program anymore,
digging themselves out of the school sand box. It brings
tears to my eye. You see I had the other eye surgically
removed so I could by Jr. a bike.

john250":444obcnh said:
Athletes have a very high training level and their body fat is usually very low.

That's my point in a nutshell, using BMI as a scale it doesn't matter if it's fat or muscle 5'11 245 of muscle is just as bad in their eyes as 5' 11' 245lb of fat, all you are judged on is height and weight with no consideration of the variables.

There is no denying we have tons (no pun intended) of fat folks in this country, all I'm saying is that BMI is not the way to determine the extent of the problem.

Crowderfarms":3ksmukq1 said:
Obesity Rates Show No Decline in US
By KEVIN FREKING,AP
Posted: 2007-08-27 16:36:54
WASHINGTON (AP) - Loosen the belt buckle another notch: Obesity rates continued to climb in 31 states last year, and no state showed a decline.

Mississippi became the first state to crack the 30 percent barrier for adults considered to be obese. West Virginia and Alabama were just behind, according to the Trust for America's Health, a research group that focuses on disease prevention.

Colorado continued its reign as the leanest state in the nation with an obesity rate projected at 17.6 percent.

This year's report, for the first time, looked at rates of overweight children ages 10 to 17. The District of Columbia had the highest percentage - 22.8 percent. Utah had the lowest - 8.5 percent.

Health officials say the latest state rankings provide evidence that the nation has a public health crisis on its hands.

Unfortunately, we're treating it like a mere inconvenience instead of the emergency that it is," said Dr. James Marks, senior vice president at the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, a philanthropy devoted to improving health care.

Officials at the Trust for America's Health want the government to play a larger role in preventing obesity. People who are overweight are at an increased risk for diabetes, heart problems and other chronic diseases that contribute to greater health care costs.

"It's one of those issues where everyone believes this is an epidemic, but it's not getting the level of political and policymaker attention that it ought to," said Jeffrey Levi, the organization's executive director. "As every candidate for president talks about health care reform and controlling health care cost costs, if we don't home in on this issue, none of their proposals are going to be affordable."

At the same time, many believe weight is a personal choice and responsibility. Levi doesn't dispute that notion, but he said society can help people make good choices.

"If we want kids to eat healthier food, we have to invest the money for school nutrition programs so that school lunches are healthier," he said. "If we want people to be more physically active, then there have to be safe places to be active. That's not just a class issue. We've designed suburban communities where there are no sidewalks for anybody to go out and take a walk."

To measure obesity rates, Trust for America's Health compares data from 2003-2005 with 2004-2006. It combines information from three years to improve the accuracy of projections. The data come from a survey of height and weight taken over the telephone. Because the information comes from a personal estimate, some believe it is conservative.

Indeed, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released a study last year noting a national obesity rate of about 32 percent - a higher rate than was cited for any of the states in the Trust for America's Health report. The CDC's estimate came from weighing people rather than relying on telephone interviews, officials explained.

Generally, anyone with a body mass index greater than 30 is considered obese. The index is a ratio that takes into account height and weight. The overweight range is 25 to 29.9. Normal is 18.5 to 24.9. People with a large amount of lean muscle mass, such as athletes, can show a large body mass index without having an unhealthy level of fat.

A lack of exercise is a huge factor in obesity rates. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found last year that more than 22 percent of Americans did not engage in any physical activity in the past month. The percentage is greater than 30 percent in four states: Mississippi, Louisiana, Kentucky and Tennessee.

Meanwhile, Minnesotans led the way when it came to exercise. An estimated 15.4 percent of the state's residents did not engage an any physical exercise - the best rate in the nation. Still, the state ranked 28th overall when it came to the percentage of obese adults.

Another factor in obesity rates is poverty. The five poorest states were all in the top 10 when it came to obesity rates. An exception to that rule was the District of Columbia and New Mexico. Both had high poverty rates, but also one of the lower obesity rates among adults.

Poverty can lead to less safe neighborhoods, which deter children from playing. It can lead to fewer grocery stores offering fruits and vegetables, and it can lead to greater reliance on fast food, officials said.

"It seems the cheapest foods are the worst ones for you," Marks said.

Officials said the report is not designed to stigmatize states with high obesity rates but to stir them into action.

"These are the states where the urgency is the greatest. They need not to wait for others to lead. They need to become the leaders," Marks said. "It's the only way that they can restore the health of their children and their families. It's the only way that they can improve their economic competitiveness."

On the Net:

Trust for America's Health: http://healthyamericans.org

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL. [/b]

Been sayin it for years, Short Fat Girls are takin over, better get used to it.

I love it when I'm standing in line at Taco Bell and the person in front of me orders 4 Extra meat burritos and a DIET-COKE.

By the way, I'm 6'1" and weigh 192. Gettin a little paunch though.

Dick

The Government is always looking for ways to spend money. This "obesity problem" is not a problem at all. I thought the problem was baby boomers retiring while the life expectancy of people continued to climb. I thought we had a social security problem. Its not the governments business or job to worry about fat people. As far as the school lunches go if you don't like it and/or your kid is fat pack her/him a lunch. If it really bothers you go to the school board and voice your complaint. We need less government in our lives not more. Lets not empower the government so much that we become slaves. For the record I'm anorexic. I know I'm skinny but everytime I look in the mirror I see a fat guy. The scales lie to me too. 8) Just my opinion on this particular Friday. Oh! Figures don't lie but liars figure.

Walt

Problem is that most folks wont get off their dead A$$'s, and get some sort of excercise. They eat lunch and go back to their desks. Eat supper and watch Big Brother 8 and eat a sack of Doritos while they watch TV.

Kids are not kids anymore. They play video games, and watch too much TV. We played Cowboys and Indians, kick ball, hide and seek, swam, rode bikes, etc.The Fat and Carbs just sits on em' and walla, they're fat Kids.There are way too many snack foods out there now days.Everything has Corn syrup in it and Kids are not swayed enough to eat an Apple or a Banana. When we were Kids, we worked and ran around so much, there wer'nt a handful of overweight kids compared to today.You cant blame the school lunch program for them being Hogs.I blame the "Convienient" Foods that are gobbled up off the shelves of grocery stores.

Guess I'm Obese too. 5' 10" and 185 lbs.

We should look at who provides kids with the wherewithal to get those "convenient" foods, some parents have become a big part of the problem, they don't want to deny little Timmy anything because it might stunt his development or some other nonsense. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I was growing up my parents decided when I ate and what I ate, taught me right from wrong and they put my butt outside doing something whether it was sports, work or just walking the fields, today it seems some parents can't be bothered with raising their own children.

For years i was 6' 1" an weighed 185, a few years ago i quit smoking an now weigh 220. I guess thats not too bad but i could stand to lose a few pounds.

Angus/Brangus":3t6biaf8 said:
Txwalt":3t6biaf8 said:
The Government is always looking for ways to spend money. This "obesity problem" is not a problem at all. I thought the problem was baby boomers retiring while the life expectancy of people continued to climb. I thought we had a social security problem. Its not the governments business or job to worry about fat people. As far as the school lunches go if you don't like it and/or your kid is fat pack her/him a lunch. If it really bothers you go to the school board and voice your complaint. We need less government in our lives not more. Lets not empower the government so much that we become slaves. For the record I'm anorexic. I know I'm skinny but everytime I look in the mirror I see a fat guy. The scales lie to me too. 8) Just my opinion on this particular Friday. Oh! Figures don't lie but liars figure. Walt

The obesity problem IS real TxWalt. The government is worried because all these lard A$$e$ are going to need more medical care than the average person and guess who's gonna have to foot the bill because a lot of folks don't have insurance? The government - you, me and joe public.

One hour of Physical Education per day should be mandatory in school.

Kids getting fat is not a government problem. Its a parenting problem. Some folks want the government to take care of everything. Other folks want the people to take care of themselves. If people don't want to take care of themselves then so be it. It's still not the governments job. While I don't disagree with you on this quote "One hour of Physical Education per day should be mandatory in school". You can't tell me that parents aren't capable of this themselves. Why do you think its the governments job to make sure kids don't get fat? It's the governments job to impose 1 hr of physical education on all children in school?

About the taxes. Your argument has been going on for years. Spend money here to save money there. I don't see it happening. I don't see any studies that have gone back and looked at the theories and proved them right. It's the governments way of taxing us more and spending more money. When was the last time that government spending went down? The government continually spends more and more money every year. They manage to pursaude us that its necessary every year. We actually keep asking the government to give us more. But they don't give until they take first. How high do taxes need to go before we become slaves? 30% upper income tax? Sales tax 8.5%. Phone tax. Land tax. Sewage, Water, Car registration, Safety inspection, booze, cigarettes, gasoline, hotel, luxury, toll roads, we cannot live without the government taxing us six different ways. Unless we don't work. Then we'll get low income housing. Welfare check. Food stamps. Free health care. But, if we get a low paying job. It all goes away. No wonder so many people are on the government nipple. Don't encourage the government to take care of you or anyone else. Because if they can they will.

Walt

Latest posts