Newbie from Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Alyce

Reaction score
New to the cattle world, currently have 2 registered Hereford heifers. I've recently discovered our small farm is part of what use to be the historical Gollihar Hereford Ranch in Whitney Texas.
I'm on a journey to bring back some of the original Gollihar genetics. A gentlemen at the American Hereford Association has helped by finding some of the family tree of Gollihars genetics.
Was wondering if anyone here knew of any of the Gollihar Hereford Ranch history.
Hoping to learn so much more. My first important item to learn is shots. What shots to give & when.
Thanks
Alyce FB_IMG_1643772938538.jpg

Someone will probably be along shortly to tell you that you need to just get a job in town, make some real $$ and just forget them old red &white cows and bulls but for my part: WELCOME!!

Welcome Alyce, an interesting mission you are on, hope you find some.

Ken
Thank you. Yes it's a fascinating journey for sure, I grew up in the city, moved to a small town in 88. Bovine life is new so learning substantial information.

Someone will probably be along shortly to tell you that you need to just get a job in town, make some real $$ and just forget them old red &white cows and bulls but for my part: WELCOME!!
Marine profile picture, thank you for your sacrifices through your service. I have a Veterans tribute truck, Dad was Vietnam & step Dad Korea. Dealing cattle is my full time job 😇, taking care of animals is way better then some stinky job.
Thank you for the welcome.

hope you enjoy your new adventure. starting something new that you have thought about doing for awhile sound like an exciting plan to invest your time in. Do you have someone that is sharing your new endeavor with (wife, family member, or friend?) good luck and welcome to the CT forum.

hope you enjoy your new adventure. starting something new that you have thought about doing for awhile sound like an exciting plan to invest your time in. Do you have someone that is sharing your new endeavor with (wife, family member, or friend?) good luck and welcome to the CT forum.
I took my husband the National Hereford Show this past Monday. He never was really interested in what I've been learning this past year until the Show. His eyes became bigger, he began taking notes, noting how different each Hereford was. He states he now understood why its so fascinating to me. I'd say he's been bit by the genetic bug.

Welcome aboard. We are from the same part of Texas. Hope your project goes well.
Thank you. Unfortunately the gentic family tree is dwindling down. Was given a great list of Ranch with offspring but they're no longer available. Down to one ranch. Been researching bringing Hereford genetics from Herefordshire England via A.I. so much learning to accomplish.

You are in the right place. If ya can't learn it here, it can't be learned.
Alyce, there is a member on this board with username mrvictordomino.
As you are interested in the Hereford breed, I am sure you will recognize the name and the relation to the breed. He is in Ky.

If it's Hereford, he can probably help you out with it.

mrvictordomino
history:

There is also an old thread, from a now deceased member Idaman.
It's worth a read for the information on some of the old Hereford lines. (It's a pretty spellbinding read too.)

Thank you. Unfortunately the gentic family tree is dwindling down. Was given a great list of Ranch with offspring but they're no longer available. Down to one ranch. Been researching bringing Hereford genetics from Herefordshire England via A.I. so much learning to accomplish.
That's an old line that goes back to some of the first polled Herefords in Texas.

You are in the right place. If ya can't learn it here, it can't be learned.
Alyce, there is a member on this board with username mrvictordomino.
As you are interested in the Hereford breed, I am sure you will recognize the name and the relation to the breed. He is in Ky.

If it's Hereford, he can probably help you out with it.

mrvictordomino
history:

There is also an old thread, from a now deceased member Idaman.
It's worth a read for the information on some of the old Hereford lines. (It's a pretty spellbinding read too.)

Thank you very much for the information.

Welcome aboard Alyce, I'm fairly new and first generation cattleman too. Those are beautiful polled Herefords of Gollihar. I'd be interested to know the physical measured "back height" of these majestic polled Herefords....how tall do they get? I hope you locate the genetic trail and find your purchase. They're probably still here in Texas.

Welcome aboard Alyce, I'm fairly new and first generation cattleman too. Those are beautiful polled Herefords of Gollihar. I'd be interested to know the physical measured "back height" of these majestic polled Herefords....how tall do they get? I hope you locate the genetic trail and find your purchase. They're probably still here in Texas.
Thank you. Im not sure the size, still learning. Just know the Golligar genetics were almost Oxen size is the way I describe it. I'm down to 2 ranches with possible GHR genetics. My concern is if they've been Americanized. Or watered down, not sure proper terminology. Most of the ranches are out of state that has the gentics.