New way to lose a calf

Help Support CattleToday:

MarkM

Reaction score
20150529_132630_zpsyujqdh2x.jpg

20150529_131520_zpsgitszlle.jpg

20150529_131616_zpslnwdjnnw.jpg

20150529_131553_zpspikoxvuv.jpg

Mother was acting like she couldn't find her calf this morning. I didn't believe her. Went back an hour later, she had pushed through an electric tape gate and was next to this. The only thing I can figure is that the calf was running from something last night and hung herself in these bois d'arc branches. No other wounds on the calf. Had to be a nice heifer. My sails are slack today.

I saw the similar situation but with a wild deer...apparently he ran thru something sharp, split his belly open and die.

Dam! That is a tuff one. The slice looks awfully clean for a branch.....but what else could it be?
Sorry for your loss.

Something seems odd. If the calf spit itself open, don't you think it would drag it's guts around for a bit before it died? It is not likely to lay down, and have the guts nicely spill out like that. Something killed it first, then the guts were spit... that would be my guess.... ????
Sad either way. Sorry you lost a good one

branguscowgirl":21twx85k said:
Dam! That is a tuff one. The slice looks awfully clean for a branch.....but what else could it be?
Sorry for your loss.

Agreed, it almost looks like an incision at first glance.

What are your thoughts, kingfisher. It is crazy. It is as clean as a scalpel incision. Intestines seem to be spilled out, nor dragged out.

There was not a mark on the calf otherwise. If something dragged it down (cat maybe), you would think that there would be other signs. Calf was in a group with sheep and guard dogs.

Kingfisher":1lfy0csy said:
That "cut" ain't from nothing on your place....

Are they sure there are no other wounds, that looks like a 2 leg predator that got scared off.
Wouldn't be the first time for sure. I have lost three to them through the years.

bball":1zzh27nw said:
branguscowgirl":1zzh27nw said:
Sorry for your loss.

Agreed, it almost looks like an incision at first glance.

Thats what I thought too.

Caustic Burno":29kpwmd4 said:
Kingfisher":29kpwmd4 said:
That "cut" ain't from nothing on your place....

Are they sure there are no other wounds, that looks like a 2 leg predator that got scared off.
Wouldn't be the first time for sure. I have lost three to them through the years.
I'd go for that but right up the belly??

The incision looks to have perfectly spaced jags in it. Like it was cut with scissors. (I unintentually do that when I cut fabric.) A knife or scalpel makes a cleaner line.
I agree that it looks like someone was butchering it. :shock:

I have a friend that had a horse cut open like that one night. Some sick person cut it and left it standing out in the field with its guts hanging out.

Tim/South":3kr6tzoo said:
The calf was already dead when it was opened up. No blood.
I blamed the lack of blood on a heavy rain around sunrise, but I thought the same thing. I had not considered the 2 legged predator. I will check again in a little bit for a wound.

Take note of the fact the intestines aren't ruptured or 'chewed on'. Looks to be pulled out carefully. A decent sized hunting knife will leave jags like scissors if it wast done in one single smooth motion. Definitely agree, someone was field dressing it.

Latest posts