New Vehicle Buy Question

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
I haven't bought a new one since 2010. We stopped at a dealership the other day to look for the wife. Sales lady told us they had gone to a buy-it-or-leave-it pricing system and most dealerships were going to this. Basically, they knocked off a couple grand off the sticker and applied a rebate if one was offered. Anyone else seeing this or was smoke being blown?

That's the way it is now. Trade ins are the only bargaining chip you have anymore. I bought a new truck last spring, and I tried to negotiate. All I got was a set of simulators. The internet has pretty well taken over the car shopping business, and if they don't have the best price.....down the road is where the customers will go.

slick4591":1ocm2zju said:
I haven't bought a new one since 2010. We stopped at a dealership the other day to look for the wife. Sales lady told us they had gone to a buy-it-or-leave-it pricing system and most dealerships were going to this. Basically, they knocked off a couple grand off the sticker and applied a rebate if one was offered. Anyone else seeing this or was smoke being blown?
That ain't nothing new.. That's pretty much the way it's always been.. Wording may be different.but still the same.. And once they get you in the finance office...theyll be more illusions,then Duns rope trick post...

The boy bought a new one a while back and the way he talk there were a bunch of extra fees tacked on at the end. One he called a docking fee and another was a filing fee. I'm a lot more used to haggling a bit. New car buying ain't gonna be as fun as it used to be.

The thing you have on your side is other options...buying a new vehicle is a necessary evil..gotta find the dealer that's the least evil..don't buy any extras. Like the extended warrenties.gotta watch those..if you Do best to wait till the factory warranty is going out.make em throw all accsessories in with the deal... In short be a horses a..

Use to be if you bought the extended warranty the clock started when you signed up for it, so you basically lost the time that the factory warranty was covering it. Don't guess it's any different today.

Yall need to find better dealers to deal with. Every thing is negotiable. I buy a new truck every 2 years and I pay from $5-10K off sticker depending on the time of the year and what truck it is.

I will walk out on them if they try to tack on bs charges on the end. When the sale person is talking make sure you repeat "out the door"... is that "out the door"?... what is the "OTD". They will all tell you they calculate that in the back and Im not real sure. Tell the sales person to go get the number from then, you will wait.

My last truck they threw in the window tint and bed liner to sweeten the deal since there were not as many rebates. I also got 20% off bumpers, hitches, etc.

... and yes I do get warranties. That is another bargaining chip. Those things are market up 300% or more. I got a 120K mile warranty that was around $3200 thrown in for $1200. It doesn't take much to go wrong to rack up $1200 on a new truck. A tail gate latch or lumbar support will get you real close. I have had them cover front end parts and brakes also because it was "excessive wear". I've had $1500 worth of front end work covered under the additional warranty on my truck and I paid a $100 deductible. It also had money for towing and rental vehicles. That extra warranty saved my butt when my Dodge was in the shop for 2 months straight. :nod:

slick4591":1p1jpy59 said:
Use to be if you bought the extended warranty the clock started when you signed up for it, so you basically lost the time that the factory warranty was covering it. Don't guess it's any different today.
That's the thing, you gotta watch for...I've seen em run out before the factory did..and if you don't pay through the nose for bumper to bumper. You can bet it won't cover the problem your having...

ALACOWMAN":172yml18 said:
The thing you have on your side is other options...buying a new vehicle is a necessary evil..gotta find the dealer that's the least evil..don't buy any extras. Like the extended warrenties.gotta watch those..if you Do best to wait till the factory warranty is going out.make em throw all accsessories in with the deal... In short be a horses a..

I got the warranty on my truck. It's saved my rear a couple of times. These days, little things add up quickly. A sensor, that we never used to have, can easily be $300, $400 or $500 and then you have 3 hours of labor at $85+/hour to get at the thing just to unplug the old one and plug in the new one.

Bestoutwest":39j3setv said:
ALACOWMAN":39j3setv said:

I got the warranty on my truck. It's saved my rear a couple of times. These days, little things add up quickly. A sensor, that we never used to have, can easily be $300, $400 or $500 and then you have 3 hours of labor at $85+/hour to get at the thing just to unplug the old one and plug in the new one.
not saying you shouldn't get it if you want it .. Just have to watch ----How--- you get i :2cents:

Several people have mentioned the fees. I usually buy used, and when I'm done bargaining and figure out what I'm willing to pay I'll tell the salesman "I'll write you a check for X amount. You can add whatever fees, taxes, etc. you want on the paperwork, as long as it comes out to this number."

Don't visit. Call tell them your taking bids. Call all of them even outta state. Take the lowest bid and present it to the others that were close.
Give them one last chance.
I bought my last truck out of a deer stand. Didn't even know what color it was.
I did tell them to make sure it wasn't yellow.

I paid well under sticker price, but it was the first price they gave me....No budging. I never went to the dealership that is an hour and a half south of us. They came up and looked at my trades, which I didn't trade in, and delivered the new one right to my door a week later. They even took a personal check from a half drunk(it was necessary to get turn loose of the $) greasy azz fence builder. I actually found the truck I wanted in New Jersey, and they flew a guy out to get it for $600. (All they had local were yellow and orange trucks. lol) The salesman even stopped and picked up my flatbed for me on the way to my place with it. Not a huge deal, but it came from the same town so it saved me 3 hours on the road. All in all, I'm satisfied.

I'm afraid not being able to see or drive a new one would ever work with my wife. A few years ago I went by myself and bought the most expensive Sleep Number bed and told her when I got back home. She had a hissy and of course that bed sucked big time. Sold it less than a year later and lost a good deal of money. Never again.

Latest posts