New Vehicle Buy Question

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591":1u3ugxll said:
I'm afraid not being able to see or drive a new one would ever work with my wife. A few years ago I went by myself and bought the most expensive Sleep Number bed and told her when I got back home. She had a hissy and of course that bed sucked big time. Sold it less than a year later and lost a good deal of money. Never again.

Yeah, I would agree. We replaced the old Suburban this spring, and it dang near took all day. :lol: She ended up with a Subaru Outback. It's what she wanted, but we had to go drive everything in town to make sure. It's a nice rig, gets considerably better mileage, and her insurance went down by quite a bit. She's happy, so I'm happy. The long term cost of ownership should be much less than the Suburban, as well.

Right now she's looking at the Grand Cherokee, but not set on it as we've just started this venture. Still aways to go I'm afraid.

ALACOWMAN":1ctee5ir said:
slick4591":1ctee5ir said:
I think that DOC fee used to be called an advertisement fee, which I never knowingly paid.
it a fee to pay for the paper work the office does.. It's a croc.. Their getting payed regardless..
Yeah they charged me $150, I was pizzed, I didn't walk out because the truck was $3000 cheaper then anywhere else.

I have a cousin who used to go on about what great deals he would get in vehicles as opppsed to regular guys like me who just couldn't seem to get as sweet a deal as he claimed to get.

He buys a vehicle and they practically throw in a new house and a private island, and if not, HE WALKS OUT. So, I told him to go buy one for me, get the same great deal, and I would actually pay him for his services. Oddly, he tried twice for me and couldn't get a sweet deal.

He never mentions his vehicle haggling anymore.

Best way to buy new is ask to see the invoice from dealer/manufacturer , I found many dealers would not share this information unless you went in person and talked to the commercial sales side ( manager) . on the invoice there is a holdback . this is a kickback from manufacturer to dealer if they hit goals sales .( this is negotiable too)

I only bought one new ride, ton flatbed last feb. I searched online thought I found exactly what I wanted. Drove 2 hours to look at it a very large dealership. Walked in older man greeted me said what can I help you with told me his name. Quickly realized he was the owner no pressure at all. Here are the keys let me pull them up front, for you to test drive. Drove 3 picked the one I wanted. I paid advertised price but I knew what it should be and these where deep discounted 16 left overs. That said this dealership will have first chance at my next one. I really don't like car salesman and the crap they cram on you. Best advice don't trade in sell it privately yourself. Wife did that, I kept mine for another farm truck.

ALACOWMAN":2lnics2j said:
Bestoutwest":2lnics2j said:
ALACOWMAN":2lnics2j said:
The thing you have on your side is other options...buying a new vehicle is a necessary evil..gotta find the dealer that's the least evil..don't buy any extras. Like the extended warrenties.gotta watch those..if you Do best to wait till the factory warranty is going out.make em throw all accsessories in with the deal... In short be a horses a..

I got the warranty on my truck. It's saved my rear a couple of times. These days, little things add up quickly. A sensor, that we never used to have, can easily be $300, $400 or $500 and then you have 3 hours of labor at $85+/hour to get at the thing just to unplug the old one and plug in the new one.
not saying you shouldn't get it if you want it .. Just have to watch ----How--- you get i :2cents:

We got ours "at a pretty good deal." What's hard is you never know how you're doing really b/c everything is so secretive.

slick4591":fhzatfvr said:
Right now she's looking at the Grand Cherokee, but not set on it as we've just started this venture. Still aways to go I'm afraid.

Recently bought one of these myself and if you bought any New Holland equipment in a certain window you can go by your dealership and get a slip of paper proving this and present it to the dealer when you finalized the price and they will knock another $1500 off the price. I think they call this a customer loyalty program or something. They have several discounts available that they don't advertise. I think with all my discounts they knocked $5000 off the agreed price.

slick4591":1um227yf said:
I haven't bought a new one since 2010. We stopped at a dealership the other day to look for the wife. Sales lady told us they had gone to a buy-it-or-leave-it pricing system and most dealerships were going to this. Basically, they knocked off a couple grand off the sticker and applied a rebate if one was offered. Anyone else seeing this or was smoke being blown?

dealers are becoming more and more strict and not haggling... I hate buying new vehicles the thought of losing 10 grand as they title it in the computer make me sick to my stomach. I hate payments as well. What I have found is that I will never buy what is considered an " American " car again.. I will only buy ford trucks. The foreign car warranties are a lot better than the American car warranties. Heck a freaking Hyundai has a 10 year 100,000 mile power train warranty. I haven't noticed any American car dealerships offering the motor and transmission for the life of your vehicle warranty either. I guess what im saying is money for me is earned too hard to waste it so I buy foreign whenever possible and would buy American but the car quality and resell value is just not there.

No new farm equipment in a while. I've have two OTD prices from two dealerships and they are $733.60 apart. I'm waiting on numbers three and four to call me back. Only one offers an additional discount because I'm a Sam's Club member. I'm not supposed to to tell them until I have a firm price tho, so I don't know how much at this point.

skyhightree1":5kxlpa9y said:
slick4591":5kxlpa9y said:
I haven't bought a new one since 2010. We stopped at a dealership the other day to look for the wife. Sales lady told us they had gone to a buy-it-or-leave-it pricing system and most dealerships were going to this. Basically, they knocked off a couple grand off the sticker and applied a rebate if one was offered. Anyone else seeing this or was smoke being blown?

dealers are becoming more and more strict and not haggling... I hate buying new vehicles the thought of losing 10 grand as they title it in the computer make me sick to my stomach. I hate payments as well. What I have found is that I will never buy what is considered an " American " car again.. I will only buy ford trucks. The foreign car warranties are a lot better than the American car warranties. Heck a freaking Hyundai has a 10 year 100,000 mile power train warranty. I haven't noticed any American car dealerships offering the motor and transmission for the life of your vehicle warranty either. I guess what im saying is money for me is earned too hard to waste it so I buy foreign whenever possible and would buy American but the car quality and resell value is just not there.

What I'm doing is taking the one car my wife decided on and giving the VIN out and saying I'm going to buy from whoever is lowest. I don't give out other quotes, so the salesperson knows it's a one shot deal so hopefully they take it to their sales manager and they do their best.

Salesman now,are nothing more than order takers,, they write down numbers and take em to the managers.. The old salesman are dinasours..in fact a lot of the older ones wind up on the carpet...

slick4591":3lbbh5uu said:
skyhightree1":3lbbh5uu said:
slick4591":3lbbh5uu said:

What I'm doing is taking the one car my wife decided on and giving the VIN out and saying I'm going to buy from whoever is lowest. I don't give out other quotes, so the salesperson knows it's a one shot deal so hopefully they take it to their sales manager and they do their best.

Gotcha... I had a friend that flew out to the Midwest to buy a suburban cause the dealer was 10k cheaper than ones around here.

Just got off the phone with number three and they were 3.5k higher than the lowest. Number four should be calling back any time now.

It would also pay you to do your serious haggling at the end of the month. End of the quarter is even better.

Last one just called and he beat the lowest deal by a hair plus he threw in delivery to my house (35-40 miles away). Went ahead and pulled the trigger so momma should be driving the new one in a few days.

skyhightree1":2dekh36n said:
Jogeephus":2dekh36n said:
It would also pay you to do your serious haggling at the end of the month. End of the quarter is even better.

exactly right before they have to pay taxes

Not so much that but the dealers are under a lot of pressure to make numbers for the reports and they sometimes get some big incentives from the manufacturer if they meet or exceed the goals the bean counters in Detroit put on them. If he exceeds the goals by selling a vehicle below market he can make up for it from the bonus plus if he moves the vehicle he can still make a good lick of the floor plan he's working under. Most times your haggling is more with the salesman than the dealer because the dealer has a lot of incentive to move the vehicle quickly - the salesman not so much.

Latest posts