New vaccines im using this year

Help Support CattleToday:

In newborns, the only 7 way I recommend using is Alpha 7. I'm not entirely convinced it even provides a lot of protection, but in herds with a history of purple gut in young calves, it may be worth using. Alpha 7 stimulates the immune system for a longer period of time then Ultrabac or Vision, which would be beneficial in young calves that still have maternal antibody from the dam. I really don't know that it is a necessary shot in a lot of herds. Duration of immunity is about 4 months, so you will want to give another dose at grass turn out. Alpha 7 is a fair bit more pricey then the other 7 ways, so I would booster with vision or ultrabac.

So are you saying that you do not booster your calves in 2-4 weeks after you give their initial vaccine? If so, you might as well not waste the money giving just one. It will be ineffective.[/quote]

Brangus,
By the time the calves need a booster they are down the road somewhere in someone else's hand, and I'm on my way to the bank. I sell them between 6-7 months old and most people that buy them have their own shot routine anyways but they know what we give.

Our vet told us when we started our vaccine program to give the booster the first year then just stay on a yearly program after that. We do booster the replacement heifers that we keep just in case they didn't get the shots when we first gave them and to keep them in top shape for when/if we put them with the herd.

machslammer":1o1rj4wb said:
So are you saying that you do not booster your calves in 2-4 weeks after you give their initial vaccine? If so, you might as well not waste the money giving just one. It will be ineffective.

Brangus,
By the time the calves need a booster they are down the road somewhere in someone else's hand, and I'm on my way to the bank. I sell them between 6-7 months old and most people that buy them have their own shot routine anyways but they know what we give.[/quote]

Machslammer it is none of my business, and I do not care how you vaccinate your calves. I am only stating this for newbies that are trying to learn about vaccine effectiveness. So please do not take this personal.
You had stated, "all of our shots do not require boosters", when in fact the vaccines you had listed do require a 2-4 week booster to have the effectiveness that the Manufacturer had intended. If you are not doing this, you have wasted your money and time giving just one dose to a calf.
You are correct in that everyone will have their own program when they purchase them. But you are not selling "vaccinated calves" IMO this can be misleading to someone that does not know any better, to ask if they have received 2 rounds.

branguscowgirl":1obwludr said:
machslammer":1obwludr said:
So are you saying that you do not booster your calves in 2-4 weeks after you give their initial vaccine? If so, you might as well not waste the money giving just one. It will be ineffective.

Brangus,
By the time the calves need a booster they are down the road somewhere in someone else's hand, and I'm on my way to the bank. I sell them between 6-7 months old and most people that buy them have their own shot routine anyways but they know what we give.

Machslammer it is none of my business, and I do not care how you vaccinate your calves. I am only stating this for newbies that are trying to learn about vaccine effectiveness. So please do not take this personal.
You had stated, "all of our shots do not require boosters", when in fact the vaccines you had listed do require a 2-4 week booster to have the effectiveness that the Manufacturer had intended. If you are not doing this, you have wasted your money and time giving just one dose to a calf.
You are correct in that everyone will have their own program when they purchase them. But you are not selling "vaccinated calves" IMO this can be misleading to someone that does not know any better, to ask if they have received 2 rounds.[/quote]

I agree...

A lot of people around here that sell their steers at 6-7-8 months old don't give the booster either and they may not even get the original vaccination if they aren't born yet when they work their cattle. Now if they weaned their steers (like a lot of people do as well) I'm sure they do booster them...we do if we wean a steer. We don't give the booster to the steers usually if we sell them at 6-8 months. Just giving them the vaccines as precautions when we do work cows...wasting money...probably so but that's how we do it...peace of mind I guess you can say. Like Machslammer said...buyers give the calves all the rounds of vaccines that they need to protect them at their place and so on and so forth...even if you gave the booster or not. Heifers on the other hand we do give the booster too like I said in my earlier post.

Let me say it this way....as long as they are on our place when we work cattle they get the booster or they get vaccinated....Bull, Cow, Steer, or Heifer. When I sell calves I'm not going to get them in the head gate....give them their booster shot....then put them on a trailer and take them to the barn that really is wasting money. If I'm selling to a direct buyer however and they want the booster then I would give it but not when I send them to the barn. Just my 2 cents on the matter. I guess you can say I'm a little in between both arguments going on lol. Hope I don't upset anybody with this lol probably will been doing that a lot lately when I don't mean too.

I am just going to say this again. If you are giving just one dose of a vaccine that requires a 2-4 booster, you are wasting money and not protecting your calves.

Our vaccines say give the booster to calves between 6-8 months old and that's when we sell and if i'm going to sell the calf(s) in question I'm not going to give the calf the booster that's wasting money as well. If they go in the weaning pen different story they get the booster.

Big Cheese":ygncuk65 said:
Our vaccines say give the booster to calves between 6-8 months old and that's when we sell and if i'm going to sell the calf(s) in question I'm not going to give the calf the booster that's wasting money as well. If they go in the weaning pen different story they get the booster.

What vaccines are you using? Let me guess you don't know the ones your family used before you got involved? Why not choose another vaccine?

Big Cheese":9ck4n15u said:
There are few vaccines that are a true one shot. You talk about giving them the booster for the buyer, what the people are trying to say is that you need to give the booster to protect yourself. With blackleg vaccine the only one that I am aware of that does not say to booster in 2-4 weeks is Alpha 7. If you are not giving Alpha 7 or giving the booster you are taking a chance of the calf never living till 6-8 months.

We use Triangle 10 and Ultrabac 8. No I don't know what they used before I got involved because obviously I wasn't involved. From what I've heard though they only wormed cows with Ivomec so they didn't have a very good vaccine program. We got on this vaccine program when we got back in the cow business because we bought some cows and they started having dead calves....3 straight out of 8....vet said it was a BVD problem and to put the herd on Triangle 10 for that and to put them on a Black Leg vaccine as well which was Ultrabac 7 which is now Ultrabac 8 and we are changing to Alpha 7 after we finish this bottle of Ultrabac 8. Our vet told us to give the vaccine then a booster 4-6 weeks later then only yearly treating after that. They both do say give a booster for calves but our calves usually don't get it until they around 3-4 months old because that is around when we work our herds so it's always almost time to sell when it is time for their booster.

In addition to taking a chance on the calf, you are defeating the purpose of stimulating the immune system properly that sets them up for lifelong health.
We perhaps need to post how the primary and booster work together for this.
However I am puking my guts today and just don't have it in me......... Maybe later this week end.

Get to feeling better Branguscowgirl puking ain't no fun! The calf can get protection from all of this through vaccinating the momma cow in the Colostrum....right?

I know I'm not following the rules on this but it is working for us. Yes we are taking a chance. Lifelong health for us in a calf is 7-8 months. Either way we do this we are going to lose money it sounds like to me lol. We aren't going to give it a shot then put it on the Trailer and sell it. It just falls on a bad time when the booster is due for most of our calves. Some calves do get the booster and all replacements and calves we wean get the booster as well. We are actually following the advice that our vet gave us on treating our cattle.

Heres a basic explanation on why to booster:
http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_b/B-222.pdf

Most vaccines especially killed ones like Triangle need a booster to do much. Alpha 7 and some 5 way modified live vaccines are labeled for 1 dose. I usually still booster them since that is what my vet has reccomended and MLVs are cheap.

I understand the not wanting to spend the money on the booster right before being sold most yards revaccinate everything coming in anyway according to their own plan, but you might as well not give them the first shot and save the money if you aren't going to booster.

kenny thomas":2ry5j762 said:
I use both. The inforce 3 on the calves I buy and the Vista 5 because it is a one shot vaccine.

Be careful and really read the product as many today are combination vaccines.
Talk with your vet if you don't have one get with the state vet through your Ag college.
You can actually get dram overload causing stress, weight loss and immunity problems including death.
It is very easy with some of the products to be triple or quadruple vaccinating for the same thing.
The vac companies are in the business of selling vaccines.
For those in Texas Dr Tom Hairgrove TAMU

bmoore87":1ebfkjxe said:

Most vaccines especially killed ones like Triangle need a booster to do much. Alpha 7 and some 5 way modified live vaccines are labeled for 1 dose. I usually still booster them since that is what my vet has reccomended and MLVs are cheap.

I understand the not wanting to spend the money on the booster right before being sold most yards revaccinate everything coming in anyway according to their own plan, but you might as well not give them the first shot and save the money if you aren't going to booster.

We just give the shots for peace of mind really and truly. We know it's costing us money but even if it barely helps it's better then nothin. But like I said some don't get the booster, some do, and some don't get the shots at all. We mainly vaccinate for the cows. I'm sure our minds will change once we Lose a big calf. One of the main reasons we run Longhorns though lol don't have to give them much medicine

Big Cheese":757get9u said:
bmoore87":757get9u said:

We just give the shots for peace of mind really and truly. We know it's costing us money but even if it barely helps it's better then nothin. But like I said some don't get the booster, some do, and some don't get the shots at all. We mainly vaccinate for the cows. I'm sure our minds will change once we Lose a big calf. One of the main reasons we run Longhorns though lol don't have to give them much medicine

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: im done after this comment... You have insurance for peace of mind.. you pay your bill in hopes you don't need it... You don't pay 1/2 of your bill and think you will be covered like you paid your bill in full.

Insurance? People don't get insurance around here on their cow herd. They get them on feeder calves or buyer/salers get it because they buy and sell so many different head of cattle. But I don't know of any farmer in my area that has insurance on their herd of cattle. So we don't have that bill.

Big Cheese":omoqpx88 said:
bmoore87":omoqpx88 said:

Why not try an MLV then such as Bovi-SHield Gold 5 or Inforce 3. They only take one dose to give protection and are cheaper than using a killed vaccine.

Latest posts