New vaccines im using this year

Help Support CattleToday:

Triangle 10 cows, triangle 5 calves, alpha 7, pilliguard triview for pinkeye, fly tags, and either pour on wormer or shot alternating years For wormer and fly tags.

talltimber":2mcco1fz said:
Vira Shield 6+VL5 HB
Covexin 8
That's exactly what I was doing until I switched the covexin 8 to Calvary 9, the Calvery 9 is a 2cc shot instead of 5cc and I like that better.

Speaking of fly tags,I saw something several years ago about using organophosphate tags for three years then anewer generation pyrethroid the fourth.Also recommended against the tags which had both types of chemicals. :2cents:

machslammer":1cc0cbus said:
All of our shots don't require booster and we switch from python to warrior fly tags every other year
Triangle 10 and 7 both require boosters to the initial shot 14-28 days later.
So I am not understanding what you mean by your statement above. :???:

So many vaccines I get confused, I let the vet do it when pregnancy check and green tag. I've thought about doing it myself but with all the choices I wouldn't know what I need or what's best.

nobull82":12qzvllo said:
So many vaccines I get confused, I let the vet do it when pregnancy check and green tag. I've thought about doing it myself but with all the choices I wouldn't know what I need or what's best.

Here's a crazy idea I just kicked around in my head to suggest to you I mean its a far out idea and all but my suggestion would be... "ASK THE VET WHAT HE/SHE USES IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH WHAT THEY USE " crazy idea and all but try it and maybe just maybe they will tell you and you can do it on your own. :lol2:

Haha wow such a great idea! I know what they use but every vet I've talked to seems to use a different vaccine

nobull82":21wqkasg said:
Haha wow such a great idea! I know what they use but every vet I've talked to seems to use a different vaccine

That is true different vets like different vaccines .. However, Unless you have different vets multiple times a year the one you utilize should have what they use and be able to tell you. I wouldn't worry about what other vets use if you have a single vet thats keeping your cattle healthy. What would be important to me is the one currently being used not opinions by other vets that aren't sticking your cattle. I truly don't understand what the issue is if you know what your cattle are currently on :???: :???: :???:

nobull82":36rw8fgi said:
Nobull, vaccines can be confusing. Sky is correct, your vet is your best resource for what is needed in your area and in your particular herd. But there is no shame in just letting your vet take care of it on a regular schedule for you also. (I think there are others here that do that also.)
Sometimes it actually works out cheaper if you don't have enough cattle to use a whole vial up, or you are having preg checks and such done at the same time.

I vaccinated all of my bred cows with Triangle 10 last fall. This spring all of the cows will be given PregGuard Gold FP 10 and Alpha 7 + MB 1. I am going to give all of the calves the Alpha 7/MB1 at the same time as the cows. My fall cows are going to get a straight pink eye vaccine.

I am going to be using the Patriot fly tags this year, they are supposed to work against pyrethroid resistant flies, the tags I used last year were pyrethrin based so I am going to try these this year.

branguscowgirl":1yjzvxeq said:
machslammer":1yjzvxeq said:
All of our shots don't require booster and we switch from python to warrior fly tags every other year

Triangle 10
IBR, BVD Types I and II, PI3, BRSV and 5 strains of Lepto. Give 5 ml SQ or IM. Repeat in 2-4 weeks. Calves vaccinated before 6 months of age should be revaccinated at 6 months of age. Annual booster is recommended. Safe for pregnant cows.

In cows is what I was talking about.. Annual booster is all they need. In calves it's diff, but I never give one a repeat in 2-4 weeks.

How do y'all feel about Ultrabac 8 and Alpha 7? They are both for black leg and we are switching from Ultrabac to the Alpha 7. Alpha 7 supposedly works in calves younger then a month where Ultrabac doesnt. Should we make this switch in yalls opinion? Or does it really matter?

machslammer":1744vk7m said:
branguscowgirl":1744vk7m said:
machslammer":1744vk7m said:

Triangle 10
IBR, BVD Types I and II, PI3, BRSV and 5 strains of Lepto. Give 5 ml SQ or IM. Repeat in 2-4 weeks. Calves vaccinated before 6 months of age should be revaccinated at 6 months of age. Annual booster is recommended. Safe for pregnant cows.

In cows is what I was talking about.. Annual booster is all they need. In calves it's diff, but I never give one a repeat in 2-4 weeks.
So are you saying that you do not booster your calves in 2-4 weeks after you give their initial vaccine? If so, you might as well not waste the money giving just one. It will be ineffective.

Latest posts