New Tractors

Help Support CattleToday:

The problem with repairing old tractors is you lose most of or all of that money when you go to sell it. This is true for almost all equipment. Newer tractors hold their value really well so once you get one paid for you can swap every 5 years for not much money.
1) Collectable
2) Green and soon to be collectable
3) Green low hours

I have been buying them with about 300 to 500 hours on them and then reselling at 1500 to 2500 hours. This means I am turning a FEL tractor every 3 to 4 years.

In the last year pretty much every piece of iron I own has appreciated in value. Tractor i paid 15k for 6 years ago was just offered 27k for. Baler I paid 21k for was worth close to 30k on trade in.

I don't sell much. I hunt forever buy good solid used equipment that when taken care of doesn't decrease much in value and then run it a long time.

Only thing I get rid of is balers. My current would have been gone this spring but I was unable to find the replacement that I wanted.

I definitely don't think everyone should always buy new equipment every few years but there are reasons people do. In Fences case the down time probably cost him more than the repairs. It sounds like Brute might loose a years time because of his break downs. The last time I traded the required service and new tires ate up around 60% of the trade difference and taxes saved most of the rest. I traded for a bigger and nicer tractor too. As far as cattle people being able to afford new tractors that's just a management deal and a cattle #'s game. Cattle are supposed to make you money not cost you money and it takes several to make money.

We have one of those.😄 We have dumped $10-15K in random repairs in it the last 3-4yrs. Its maintenance cost is getting up real close to its value.

Went to stack hay last week and the ac didnt work. Got 4 bales in and blew a hydraulic hose. With rain on the way and trying to get a second cutting we paid some one to stack hay. I cant fertilize or get back to spraying until the tractor is back up and going. We have the perfect weather for fertilizer and spraying right now and I'm dead in the water. With our weather, we domr always get second chances.
You get up this way swing by. Your . more than welcome to mess around with my tractors. Always got some baled that needs stacking.
Neighbor and kinda partner has the Kubota 96?? And ms111 you could probably run as well. depending on timing

This isn't a shot at anyone but I just don't know how any cattle farmer/rancher affords these brand new tractors.

Ballin on a budget. 😉 Jk farm grants. Save. Loans. Beat people up. Jobs. payment plans. Nice wife's let them have expense toys. 🤷🏽‍♀️

I'd take your times, do research, shop around don't just settle for a tractor. Don't let a salesmen talk you in to something. If you have to drive farther to get tractor you want. In the end you will be happier with the one you want versus with one you just settled with. All depends on what you use a tractor for. If you want a cab and all that fancy stuff.

When I worked for a dealership over a decade ago now, (Kubota) and we worked on anything that came thru the doors, Mahindras were heavy built, simple design and just good basic machines (and easy to work on). We didn't see many come in tho, and that's usually a good sign. Lots of water has run down the creeks since then tho.

So I made the rounds today looking at new tractors. Looked at JD, Case, NH, Kubota, and Massey F. All dealers are located same distance away.

Our local John Deere has pretty poor service. It's a mega dealer so it's pretty much take it or leave it. Plus the JD has the largest price tag.

Kubota dealer is so-so. I could not sit or look at one I wanted because they were out of stock.

The Case dealer is good and I already do business with them on some parts for equipment. They also carry MF.

Same with the MF/ NH dealer. Very good service, been doing other business with them a long time.

I'm not interested on an E model on any of them. Looking at an M or C or basically the mid trim of all of them.

I dont think I can justify the $100K+ for an 6000 series, in JD, type tractor. It's a ranch tractor that moves hay, sprays, some disking, little road work and misc stuff. I doesnt row crop, or hay, or hire out.

At the moment, a Case 120C and MF 5711 D are my top contenders.

I'm curious if any one has experience, first or second hand on these MF?

The D is a neat tractor with some very attractive features including a brake clutch deal, cab suspension, 2 levels of 540pto, you can direct all your hydraulic flow to front or rear if needed, and some auto shift functions. Your getting some bells and whistles that you dont get with others at the same price point. It's also a #10K tractor when the others are more like #8K. Looking online the motor and transmission is supposed to be very reliable on that tractor.

The MF part doesnt bother me if it meets all the hype and lasts. My problem with it is resale and not being a well know brand if we are not happy with it or want to upgrade.

The next part is does any one know of tractor brokers that we can pay to hunt us down a used tractor if we dont go new?

Open to thoughts on any of the above. Thanks
I got a Case C120 a month ago and I love it, nice ride and plenty of power

We've got an older (2006) Maxxum 110. Looks pretty similar to the C120.

It's been an okay tractor reliability wise, but it's my least favorite to spend time in. The ride is awful and bouncy because of the short wheelbase, and the transmission (16 speed powershift) has to be jerkiest thing I've ever ran. Hopefully they have improved them since then.

I've had to yank the seat and floor up every couple years to clean the evaporator. Once they get some age, the seals around the ducting don't work as well and it will pull dust in around the cabin filter no matter what you do. Takes about a day to evacuate the system, pull it out, clean it, install, and recharge. You cannot open the windows or anything so you are running the heat/AC all year.

It burns a lot of fuel for the size. The engine is fairly small for the size of the tractor.

Parts are high as can be and it seems like the dealer never stocks what I need, but that is regional.

It's got 6200 hours now, had to go to the dealer once a long time ago to get the trans calibrated and the brake system rebuilt. Otherwise it's just been small repairs.

It is our primary loader tractor and gets used mostly for that, but also pulls a 15' mower quite a bit in the summer.

Last edited:
What kind of things do you do with it as far as shredding, disking, bucket work, etc?

I liked that tractor. It had nice things but was simple. The price point is nice also for the hp.
So far all I have done is shred and it was nice and comfortable for 7 hours, used about 3/4 of a tank of fuel

Latest posts