New Tractors

Help Support CattleToday:

So I made the rounds today looking at new tractors. Looked at JD, Case, NH, Kubota, and Massey F. All dealers are located same distance away.

Our local John Deere has pretty poor service. It's a mega dealer so it's pretty much take it or leave it. Plus the JD has the largest price tag.

Kubota dealer is so-so. I could not sit or look at one I wanted because they were out of stock.

The Case dealer is good and I already do business with them on some parts for equipment. They also carry MF.

Same with the MF/ NH dealer. Very good service, been doing other business with them a long time.

I'm not interested on an E model on any of them. Looking at an M or C or basically the mid trim of all of them.

I dont think I can justify the $100K+ for an 6000 series, in JD, type tractor. It's a ranch tractor that moves hay, sprays, some disking, little road work and misc stuff. I doesnt row crop, or hay, or hire out.

At the moment, a Case 120C and MF 5711 D are my top contenders.

I'm curious if any one has experience, first or second hand on these MF?

The D is a neat tractor with some very attractive features including a brake clutch deal, cab suspension, 2 levels of 540pto, you can direct all your hydraulic flow to front or rear if needed, and some auto shift functions. Your getting some bells and whistles that you dont get with others at the same price point. It's also a #10K tractor when the others are more like #8K. Looking online the motor and transmission is supposed to be very reliable on that tractor.

The MF part doesnt bother me if it meets all the hype and lasts. My problem with it is resale and not being a well know brand if we are not happy with it or want to upgrade.

The next part is does any one know of tractor brokers that we can pay to hunt us down a used tractor if we dont go new?

Open to thoughts on any of the above. Thanks

I have a pretty heavy JD disk that just fits through a 16' gate so I dont think less than 100hp will get it done in the new tractors.
I am up to three disks now. Two to work with and one to work on.

I have found that 85 hp FWA is plenty for a ranch disk IF the soil is mellow. I no till a cover crop into killed sod. After that breaks down the disking is easy.

I know the ads show guys disking at 8 mph but rocks would eat you up here.

Last edited:
So I made the rounds today looking at new tractors. Looked at JD, Case, NH, Kubota, and Massey F. All dealers are located same distance away.

Our local John Deere has pretty poor service. It's a mega dealer so it's pretty much take it or leave it. Plus the JD has the largest price tag.

Kubota dealer is so-so. I could not sit or look at one I wanted because they were out of stock.

The Case dealer is good and I already do business with them on some parts for equipment. They also carry MF.

Same with the MF/ NH dealer. Very good service, been doing other business with them a long time.

I'm not interested on an E model on any of them. Looking at an M or C or basically the mid trim of all of them.

I dont think I can justify the $100K+ for an 6000 series, in JD, type tractor. It's a ranch tractor that moves hay, sprays, some disking, little road work and misc stuff. I doesnt row crop, or hay, or hire out.

At the moment, a Case 120C and MF 5711 D are my top contenders.

I'm curious if any one has experience, first or second hand on these MF?

The D is a neat tractor with some very attractive features including a brake clutch deal, cab suspension, 2 levels of 540pto, you can direct all your hydraulic flow to front or rear if needed, and some auto shift functions. Your getting some bells and whistles that you dont get with others at the same price point. It's also a #10K tractor when the others are more like #8K. Looking online the motor and transmission is supposed to be very reliable on that tractor.

The MF part doesnt bother me if it meets all the hype and lasts. My problem with it is resale and not being a well know brand if we are not happy with it or want to upgrade.

The next part is does any one know of tractor brokers that we can pay to hunt us down a used tractor if we dont go new?

Open to thoughts on any of the above. Thanks
Sounds like you are shopping for a new tractor... until it doesn't. That's the first decision to make. What's the annual utilization? What's the cost of downtime? (assuming a new machine will have limited downtime). Is a rental unit available if your down? How long are you going to keep it? If you keep it for 20 years then trade in value is not a consideration but parts availibility moves to the top. By the way.... a 15% premium price for the best tractor and dealer is a bargain and that unit will carry the best trade in value, if that is important. Right now new equipment has great interest rates, warranty and tax advantages to consider. If utilization is low and downtime is not an issue (as far as inconvenience) then used equipment the way to go. Good luck in your search.

I called our closest JD dealer and no one knew what a y-strainer was in the parts department. The one guy my age who doesnt know **** but tries to things happen said... go ask so and so in the back if he knows what this guy, me, is looking for. 🤣

You literally have to show up with dang near the part numbers so they can place the order.

That is so true.. same exact experience

I just went through the same process. As a last step I had the dealer bring in a long shot just to look at--a Mahindra 6075. I was quite confident I wouldn't like it and what a surprise I got! Heavy steel everywhere, great features, lighting, and a hefty 5 speed, real stick shift. No regen's, simple console, a loud diesel sounding engine. The only downside is it didn't have a stereo--$150 solved that. Just a thought.
I was reading through this post waiting for someone to mention a Mahindra. They are not a complicated tractor and your local shop can work on them. They are a global brand so parts are out there but they may take a while to get.

This isn't a shot at anyone but I just don't know how any cattle farmer/rancher affords these brand new tractors.
I dont either. My dad and I were just having that discussion. Our product does not have enough margin. Even larger used tractors are priced high enough that I'm not sure they can be paid for with cattle. Then, even if you can, do you want that much of your money in one piece of equipment?

I called our closest JD dealer and no one knew what a y-strainer was in the parts department. The one guy my age who doesnt know **** but tries to things happen said... go ask so and so in the back if he knows what this guy, me, is looking for. 🤣

You literally have to show up with dang near the part numbers so they can place the order.
If you don't know what your looking for your screwed. It's best to look your part numbers up and call and see where the parts are at before leaving.

I was reading through this post waiting for someone to mention a Mahindra. They are not a complicated tractor and your local shop can work on them. They are a global brand so parts are out there but they may take a while to get.
We're all green and yellow but I deliver 18 rolls of hay every week year round to a customer with the 6075 Mahindra. I will admit it is a substantial feeling little tractor. Roomy to. I've been unloading with it for over a year and I wouldn't be a bit worried about it as a general purpose utility tractor.

When I was working in Waco the guy I worked for was a Mahindra dealer. He had a 6xxx open cab tractor we kept on the yard for doing all kinds of odds and ends. It was handy as a shirt pocket. It had wheel weights, shuttle shift, and some other goodies but was still a fairly basic tractor. I liked it a lot. I dont think it will get done what I need to though. Plus, nearest dealer is a good ways away.

I called another JD dealer that is not far and spoke with them. I've done a few things with them for some other people recently. They were a lot more helpful. It's not as big of a dealer and the sales guy also has experience on the service side. If we go that route, I'll feel a lot more confident buying from them.

Our tractors are all older and I'm not a mechanic nor am I physically able to do any real mechanic work, so it's been expensive to keep them going. I'm thinking of downsizing a little and maybe getting a new one or fairly recent model. Are the New Holland's the same or similar to Case? I haven't ever looked at a new tractor just crippled along with a couple old Fords and then about 15 years ago bought a used Case. Always thought John Deere was overrated and over priced, but am open to any mainstream brand. Are there still regular gear shift tractors without a lot extra price pushy buttons?

I don't either. My dad and I were just having that discussion. Our product does not have enough margin. Even larger used tractors are priced high enough that I'm not sure they can be paid for with cattle. Then, even if you can, do you want that much of your money in one piece of equipment?
Cow calf production margin is sad. Should have been a trader the past two years.

ROI police say you should only own a tractor that appreciates in value. Have you looked into this?

When I was working in Waco the guy I worked for was a Mahindra dealer. He had a 6xxx open cab tractor we kept on the yard for doing all kinds of odds and ends. It was handy as a shirt pocket. It had wheel weights, shuttle shift, and some other goodies but was still a fairly basic tractor. I liked it a lot. I dont think it will get done what I need to though. Plus, nearest dealer is a good ways away.

I called another JD dealer that is not far and spoke with them. I've done a few things with them for some other people recently. They were a lot more helpful. It's not as big of a dealer and the sales guy also has experience on the service side. If we go that route, I'll feel a lot more confident buying from them.
I've got a jd5085 and a 5100 the 5100 has plenty of power for my use including pulling a 19' tandem. Although I do use a 7 shank chisel to loosen things up. The 5085 is getting close to 2500 hours in three years as it works for the fence company to.
One place the m series will definitely without a doubt be better is when you trade it in. They hold value much better.

I've got a jd5085 and a 5100 the 5100 has plenty of power for my use including pulling a 19' tandem. Although I do use a 7 shank chisel to loosen things up. The 5085 is getting close to 2500 hours in three years as it works for the fence company to.
One place the m series will definitely without a doubt be better is when you trade it in. They hold value much better.
If we go that route I'm between a 5115 M or 6120 M.

You pull a 19' disk with with the 5100 tractor?

Cow calf production margin is sad. Should have been a trader the past two years.

ROI police say you should only own a tractor that appreciates in value. Have you looked into this?
We were in a bad drought the last 2 years. Cattle were only going one way. Not sure what we could have traded?

No I have not. What kind of tractor appreciates in value?

Our tractors are all older and I'm not a mechanic nor am I physically able to do any real mechanic work, so it's been expensive to keep them going. I'm thinking of downsizing a little and maybe getting a new one or fairly recent model. Are the New Holland's the same or similar to Case? I haven't ever looked at a new tractor just crippled along with a couple old Fords and then about 15 years ago bought a used Case. Always thought John Deere was overrated and over priced, but am open to any mainstream brand. Are there still regular gear shift tractors without a lot extra price pushy buttons?
Case has some nice tractors. I looked at a 120C. C in case is supposed to be the M of the JD. Nothing fancy but a few of the nice things. It was $70K. You could drop down a few hp but it didnt really save you much. You had to go less than 100hp to see any significant price savings. You save maybe $10kish vs the JD counter part from what I saw.

We were in a bad drought the last 2 years. Cattle were only going one way. Not sure what we could have traded?

No I have not. What kind of tractor appreciates in value?
A really old one if it still runs

A really old one if it still runs
We have one of those.😄 We have dumped $10-15K in random repairs in it the last 3-4yrs. Its maintenance cost is getting up real close to its value.

Went to stack hay last week and the ac didnt work. Got 4 bales in and blew a hydraulic hose. With rain on the way and trying to get a second cutting we paid some one to stack hay. I cant fertilize or get back to spraying until the tractor is back up and going. We have the perfect weather for fertilizer and spraying right now and I'm dead in the water. With our weather, we domr always get second chances.

The problem with repairing old tractors is you lose most of or all of that money when you go to sell it. This is true for almost all equipment. Newer tractors hold their value really well so once you get one paid for you can swap every 5 years for not much money. Allot of times with upkeep on the older one and the tax advantages of the new one it'll be a wash. That being said mine is 10 yrs old now, may be time to start looking.