New Tractors

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
So I made the rounds today looking at new tractors. Looked at JD, Case, NH, Kubota, and Massey F. All dealers are located same distance away.

Our local John Deere has pretty poor service. It's a mega dealer so it's pretty much take it or leave it. Plus the JD has the largest price tag.

Kubota dealer is so-so. I could not sit or look at one I wanted because they were out of stock.

The Case dealer is good and I already do business with them on some parts for equipment. They also carry MF.

Same with the MF/ NH dealer. Very good service, been doing other business with them a long time.

I'm not interested on an E model on any of them. Looking at an M or C or basically the mid trim of all of them.

I dont think I can justify the $100K+ for an 6000 series, in JD, type tractor. It's a ranch tractor that moves hay, sprays, some disking, little road work and misc stuff. I doesnt row crop, or hay, or hire out.

At the moment, a Case 120C and MF 5711 D are my top contenders.

I'm curious if any one has experience, first or second hand on these MF?

The D is a neat tractor with some very attractive features including a brake clutch deal, cab suspension, 2 levels of 540pto, you can direct all your hydraulic flow to front or rear if needed, and some auto shift functions. Your getting some bells and whistles that you dont get with others at the same price point. It's also a #10K tractor when the others are more like #8K. Looking online the motor and transmission is supposed to be very reliable on that tractor.

The MF part doesnt bother me if it meets all the hype and lasts. My problem with it is resale and not being a well know brand if we are not happy with it or want to upgrade.

The next part is does any one know of tractor brokers that we can pay to hunt us down a used tractor if we dont go new?

Open to thoughts on any of the above. Thanks

Last edited:
With the exception of a Farmall tractor that I run the feed wagon with I pretty much bleed green. But I have looked at some T series New Holland tractors that look like they could sure get the job done. MF isn't overly common around here,but the guys that have them seem to like them.

Brute, I used a tractor broker a few years ago with good results. He found us our 2012 Kubota M-9645 ironically enough at a used equipment auction about 45 miles from our farm. I doubt he works the Texas market so I'm basically just giving testimony about a positive experience with a broker.

Check facebook (Market Place), craigslist and Ebay often. I bought my last one from a Market Place seller. Our local MF dealer, when it comes to parts, will only order if you pay shipping or wait until they get a large enough order to were they get free shipping.

I had a MF 5612 cab tractor about 5 years ago and loved it. I'd still be running it if the local Massey dealer service department knew the 3pt hitch end versus the loader end of a tractor. Not a fan of the dealership to say the least. Parts are a little slower to get than the local JD place and I think that's an AGCO problem not a dealer problem but could be wrong. The MF 5600 and 5700 series tractors have been out for years and I think it's funny that JD came out with a similar m6110 and m6120 tractor with the sloped front ends this year like it's some new thing and MF started that look and transmission gear shifter like 8 years ago. AGCO does a horrible job of marketing compared to JD IMHO.

You might call Dan at Dans Equipment in Pilot Point, Tx. He's a nice guy and always has clean tractors, I would think he could find you something also. He has a website too.

Neighbor across the road has a MF not sure of model but about 125hp MFWD. I have run it some and it is nice and has some features that if you figure them out are handy. A lot of electronics on it and that would make me nervous. Seems like one of those things that when they work are great but would be a nightmare if they got a gremlin. He darn sure doesn't baby it and it has been trouble free as far as I know. Tractor is maybe 6-7 years old. Around here the dealership is a big turn off as well. JD isn't cheap but they are well made and I can get it worked on and plenty of parts.

Thanks for the contact.

I'm not against the tractor coming from where ever across the US as long as the person is reliable. A lot of the farmers have tractor shipped to them from up north.

The MF has the best dealer of them all. Would it be out of the question to ask for a test drive on some thing like that? I'd actually like to hook it up to my disk and be sure it had enough hp. Wonder if they have a return policy?😄 They had a 130hp MF with a heavier style frame and stuff just not the bells and whistles for the same price.

There are some great deals on used less than 100 hp tractors. The weekend warriors sell them after a couple years and their tractors are low hours.
I think FWA is key if doing a lot of dirt work. Sounds like you don't. So we are talking about a 2wd haying tractor?

A good dealer will likely let you demo if you do business with them and they are sure your serious. However bear in mind they want it back in like new condition if you change your mind so the tasks you get to try it on may be limited. I will tell you my neighbor pulls a heck of a disc with his, more than I thought it would pull really, it grunts but it does it. I think it is cutting 12-14' but it is twice that wide and he runs it with the wing folded up so the weight makes it cut harder.

So I made the rounds today looking at new tractors. Looked at JD, Case, NH, Kubota, and Massey F. All dealers are located same distance away.

Our local John Deere has pretty poor service. It's a mega dealer so it's pretty much take it or leave it. Plus the JD has the largest price tag.

Kubota dealer is so-so. I could not sit or look at one I wanted because they were out of stock.

The Case dealer is good and I already do business with them on some parts for equipment. They also carry MF.

Same with the MF/ NH dealer. Very good service, been doing other business with them a long time.

I'm not interested on an E model on any of them. Looking at an M or C or basically the mid trim of all of them.

I dont think I can justify the $100K+ for an 6000 series, in JD, type tractor. It's a ranch tractor that moves hay, sprays, some disking, little road work and misc stuff. I doesnt row crop, or hay, or hire out.

The D is a neat tractor with some very attractive features including a brake clutch deal, cab suspension, 2 levels of 540pto, you can direct all your hydraulic flow to front or rear if needed, and some auto shift functions. Your getting some bells and whistles that you dont get with others at the same price point. It's also a #10K tractor when the others are more like #8K. Looking online the motor and transmission is supposed to be very reliable on that tractor.

The MF part doesnt bother me if it meets all the hype and lasts. My problem with it is resale and not being a well know brand if we are not happy with it or want to upgrade.

The next part is does any one know of tractor brokers that we can pay to hunt us down a used tractor if we dont go new?

Dealer support is what I would base my decision on.

There are some great deals on used less than 100 hp tractors. The weekend warriors sell them after a couple years and their tractors are low hours.
I think FWA is key if doing a lot of dirt work. Sounds like you don't. So we are talking about a 2wd haying tractor?
FWA with cab and loader

I have a pretty heavy JD disk that just fits through a 16' gate so I dont think less than 100hp will get it done in the new tractors.

We have a 2755, 90hp now that will that pulls it but it is slow. I've had the same disk behind a 120hp tractor and it pulled noticeably better.

Last edited:
Parts are a little slower to get than the local JD place and I think that's an AGCO problem
One of the reasons we are so JD driven is that one of the national JD parts hubs is in Moline, IL. 20 min away. It used to be that as long as our dealer ordered the part we could go pick it up. Then they said no more of that. So we usually had to wait 12hours, our dealer picked up orders twice a day. Then Covid. Now you can get your parts in 48hrs if you pay an extra $20 to Deere or wait 7-10days. It's total bull! Our dealer told is if we think we will need parts this fall for our combine, that we need to order them now.

This isn't a shot at anyone but I just don't know how any cattle farmer/rancher affords these brand new tractors.
Tax write off in one year section 179 and have a second and third job. A lot of farmers from what I have heard and read their debt ratio is pretty high. With the way the future of cattle looks no way I put myself in a hard place for these new Government tractors with all the expensive BS on them to go wrong. If things continue in eight years we will be running charge up tractors.

This isn't a shot at anyone but I just don't know how any cattle farmer/rancher affords these brand new tractors.
A lot of the mid West cattle guys row crop also. They run cows on the small % of their farm that can't be farmed. So it isn't just the cows paying for it.
For the rest of us that count on cattle to pay the bills; 20years ago if I blew a hydraulic hose on my feed tractor on thanksgiving morning I could have called our implement dealer at home and someone would have met me at the store so we could get the cattle fed. Now they close from Wednesday - Sunday for thanksgiving, the whole week between Christmas and New years, and from Thursday through Sunday for Easter. Most of the livestock feeders are gone now, and the implement dealership has forgotten that livestock is what carried them through the 80's.
New tractors hopefully tend to break down less. It's the cost we pay for not having service when we're in a jam.

Managed properly most tractors , skid steers etc. Can pay for themselves with 2-3 days of work per month. You just have to keep them working.
When we were running at full capacity we put 100hrs a month on a loader tractor. When you use them that much you can't afford any down time.
The smartest thing we ever did was put a second loader on a tractor.

One of the reasons we are so JD driven is that one of the national JD parts hubs is in Moline, IL. 20 min away. It used to be that as long as our dealer ordered the part we could go pick it up. Then they said no more of that. So we usually had to wait 12hours, our dealer picked up orders twice a day. Then Covid. Now you can get your parts in 48hrs if you pay an extra $20 to Deere or wait 7-10days. It's total bull! Our dealer told is if we think we will need parts this fall for our combine, that we need to order them now.
I called our closest JD dealer and no one knew what a y-strainer was in the parts department. The one guy my age who doesnt know **** but tries to things happen said... go ask so and so in the back if he knows what this guy, me, is looking for. 🤣

You literally have to show up with dang near the part numbers so they can place the order.

I just went through the same process. As a last step I had the dealer bring in a long shot just to look at--a Mahindra 6075. I was quite confident I wouldn't like it and what a surprise I got! Heavy steel everywhere, great features, lighting, and a hefty 5 speed, real stick shift. No regen's, simple console, a loud diesel sounding engine. The only downside is it didn't have a stereo--$150 solved that. Just a thought.

Latest posts