New to this, please help!

Help Support CattleToday:

4Dranch

Reaction score
I am planning on working approximately 100 head of char/lim cross for the first time ever next week. What is the "standard" or generalized recommended vaccinations or other treatments?

Also, there are no records kept on any of these cattle, so I will be tagging them all and beginning a records system. What records do you keep? I am planning on weight, approxinmate age, identifiers, and medical/vac records. What else am I missing?????

4Dranch":3q0sqd55 said:
I am planning on working approximately 100 head of char/lim cross for the first time ever next week. What is the "standard" or generalized recommended vaccinations or other treatments?

Also, there are no records kept on any of these cattle, so I will be tagging them all and beginning a records system. What records do you keep? I am planning on weight, approxinmate age, identifiers, and medical/vac records. What else am I missing?????

For vaccinatios, the basics usually are a clostridial 7-way(blackleg) and one that covers the shipping fever and pneumonia. The best thing would be to talk to a vet, and see what he reccomends in your area. Other vaccines will somewhat depend on what you are planning to do with these heifers. Are they for breeding or are you just planning to feed them.

Again, what you want for record keeping will depend on what your plans are for heifers. If you are just feeding them you don't need an elaborate system. Just tag #, weight (if you are weighing them) and somewhere to mark down if you treated one, which one it was, what you treating for and what medication you used.

If you are keeping them for breeding, that depends a lot on how elaborate you want your records to be. Lots of people just keep a calving book, where they write down the # of the cow, when she calved and what sex the calf is. Or you can go as far as keeping track of everything fromthe basics, right up to BW, WW, description of calf, and everything in between.

Whatever the case, it is a good idea to keep track of which animals get treated, what for, what with, withdrawl, and so on.

You can download a free trial of cattlemax and play with it. That should give you a feel of what type of records you will want to keep. As a minimum you'll need cow ID and age, lineage if you can do it, breeding, calving, weaning records along with any meds, treatments and vaccinations/worming.
for vaccinations, check with a "good" cow vet or the university to find out what is recommended in your particular area.

4Dranch":18aapu1m said:

You live in Texas.

You have received answers from people living in every place BUT where you live.

You must be wary of this info - despite good intentions and well thought out responses.

Ask your local veterinarian - large animal guy / gal - not a dog and cat vet.

Or ask the most successful cattle person within your local area.

Good luck.

Bez+

Welcome back Bez+.
Ask the vet in your area. Our vaccinations are about the same as what has been mentioned here.
When things slow down want to look at the cattlemax software. Looks cool

Hey Bez+ great to see you back! :D :D
Dun suggested cattle max, but I use Ranch Manager. Tried the cattle max, but could never figure it out.
read the label on the vaccines, some are for open cows and some are for bred cows.
TN forgot bangs for replacement heifer calves. Normally done before 1 year of age.

We're in Texas... ;-)

Would recommend CattleMax software. We use the LonghornMax2 version of theirs for our Longhorns.

We use:

In Texas:
  • [1] Blackleg (Clostridial bugs). Either Covexin 8 or UltraBac 7
    [2] Multi-purpose respiratory, etc. ViraShield 6 for BVD, IBR, PI3, BRSV, etc.
    [3] Brucellosis Vacc (by Vet) for heifers between 4 & 12 mos. old.
    [4] Vaccinate calves at 3-4 months with repeat at ~205 day weaning. Plus de-worm both times.
    [5] Entire herd annual vacc in spring.
    [6] De-worm all animals spring & fall with Ivomec or Agri-Mectin injectible. Sometimes adults in fall with pour-on.
    [7] Castrate (band) bull calves at weaning that are not sire prospect for registered or commercial cross-breeding.
    [8] TAHC Testing for Brucellosis yearly, TB Testing every other year by Vet in November.
    [9] Weigh and de-worm any animal sold before loading up.
    [10] Spray all animals when worked with Permectin II for flies.
    [11] Use blue algaecide in stock tanks + "Mosquito Bits" in water for algae and mosquito control. Empty and wash out stock tanks about once a week in spring, summer, and fall (or as needed) and refill with clean water, algaecide, & mosquito bits.
    [12] We also weigh on digital scale, measure hip height and horn length every time we work an animal as well as prior to sale. Other data include BW, WW, YW, annual weights, breeding records, current photos, and 6 generation pedigrees on all animals.

About all I can think of at moment... :)

I always keep calving dates, the sire they are bred to, interval from a cows calf to the next calf she has, calf weight at day of sale, and days calf is old at day of sale. This way if you ever in a drought like Kentucky is now, you know which cows make the most money if you have to sell a few. As for shots, ask a good vet in your area. I have mine written down, but not handy right now. I know we for sure give blackleg, lepto, 5,7,or 9 way vac., sometimes we do pinkeye (you can get blackleg and pinkeye in one shot here. Absolutely give blackleg and lepto if your last dime you have.

i got the free trial cattle max and made myself a spreadsheet. All that is so expensive. University of Kentucky sent me another one that I really like. Check with them or your closest Univ. UK's had nice features.

Latest posts