New to the board

Help Support CattleToday:

Dvperez81

Reaction score
Bayside (5 boroughs) NY . El Peten Guatemala .
Hi everyone ,

New to the board been doing this cattle thing for a little over a year now . Since I live in NY and my ranch is in central america(guatemala) I only get a chance to head down there 2x a year . My uncle/godfather looks after it for now, until my dad decides to live down there permenantly.

here is a link to view the pictures .

http://photos.yahoo.com/dvperez81
Currently I have 27 females for breeding , and 60 males which 35 of them should be close to or over 1000lbs by oct of this year .
BTW the cattle are either Brahman or Guzerat.

Dvperez81":2vqqwg19 said:
Hi everyone ,

New to the board been doing this cattle thing for a little over a year now . Since I live in NY and my ranch is in central america(guatemala) I only get a chance to head down there 2x a year . My uncle/godfather looks after it for now, until my dad decides to live down there permenantly.

here is a link to view the pictures .

http://photos.yahoo.com/dvperez81
Currently I have 27 females for breeding , and 60 males which 35 of them should be close to or over 1000lbs by oct of this year .
BTW the cattle are either Brahman or Guzerat.

Welcome to the boards. Enjoyed your pictures. Great looking place.

BuckemRanch":21okda3g said:
What part of Guatemala? I was there in May. Welcome to the Boards.

I was there in may for 3 weeks A place called "El Peten" the property is located towards the northwestern furthest point of guatemala . I have 450 acres looking to buy more next door to me which would give me access to the "san Pedro" river which flows into mexico . Thanks for the comments . looking to gather some info while I check out the rest of the board. My godfather has been cattle ranching for 10 years his place is just across the river , currently has 8200 acres . someday I hope to have that :cboy:

It looks nice down there. Welcome to the boards. Have you thought about Braford on those Brahman/Guzerat cows? It could really beef up those cattle (without losing much in the way of heat tolerance). Were all you Central AMerican cattlemen for CAFTA or against? Being able to import more goods without tariffs is always a plus; but the prospect of facing American beef imports untariffed could be a downside.

Great pics - brought back many memories.

I lived in San Lucas on Lake Atitlan 1974 / 75.

I am sure it has changed a great deal. One of the more beautiful places in the world.

Bez'

Welcome from middle Tennessee. Like those cows-they would do nice if you put a Hereford bull on them and keep the heifers for replacements. Or like Brandonm2 said-use a Braford to give them some size.

well thanks for all the comments guys . Im just starting out and basically im buying 6 month males and letting them graze until 1000lbs not much profit because I have to buy them. so far Ive had 5 calfs that were born in the last year . Im currently using 2 brahmans one bull is 2 1/2 years and the other is maybe 4 or 5 years . whatever females are born im gonna keep ,im just gonna change bulls every 2 years or so . I figure the next step would be what cross should I use I figured is stick to brahmans not sure yet. BTW there are 27 females . not all the 27 females are full grown some are maybe 900lbs or so .

anyone know after how many births i should get rid of the females??? what would be a good age ?

Dvperez81":11411woj said:
anyone know after how many births i should get rid of the females??? what would be a good age ?

With brahmas, about 15 plus. I know a few guys that have got 18 to 20 calves out of a brahman cow.

Welcome to the boards. Great looking cattle , I enjoyed your pictures. I cant help to think of how good a hereford or braford bull would be on your cows.

Latest posts