New to Mini Herefords in TX

Help Support CattleToday:

davemeier

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the Board and Mini Herefords. We recently moved to a small acreage home in Texas. We own 5 and lease 70. We're new to raising our oun cattle and started off with a few Angus but my wife decided she preferes smaller cattle so we're switching to Mini Herefords. Any advise, guidance is greatly appreciated. We currently have two small framed angus heifers left and are ready to start the move to mini herefords. Thanks

pdfangus":3bljy43p said:
I THOUGHT EVERYTHING WAS BIGGER IN TEXAS....

I've seen the Columbia River there between Washington and Oregon. We don't have anything like that here :D

I been wondering whe it was going to occur to yall to deepen and widen the Rio Grande a little bit.
maybe throw in a few gators and some canebrake rattlers.

My suggestion would be to give KP Ranch in Nebraska a call. I used to be neighbors with them and a friend of their daughter. I know they were having a private treaty retirement sale, but I'm sure they'd help you out with your questions.

I don't know where you live in Texas. The Houston Livestock Show has a Miniature Hereford Show. They move in March 12.
You can call the HLSR Livestock Office to find out more.

That would be a good place to meet Texas breeders and owners.

pdfangus":232a1b3q said:
I been wondering whe it was going to occur to yall to deepen and widen the Rio Grande a little bit.
maybe throw in a few gators and some canebrake rattlers.

If someone could figure out a way to go around the gubment I'm sure there would be enough volunteers to do the job in one weekend.

As for the herefords..there are a few good operations in Texas but most of them would qualify as miniature herefords. Nothing but belly and heads.

TexasBred":cbnvjaj2 said:
cowboy43":cbnvjaj2 said:
Nothin but bellies and heads, sounds like the old men sittin in the beer joints around here!
:lol2: :lol2: And no butt.

There you go again, picking on Angus and skinny ugly women. :lol2: :lol2:

Dave
When you asked your question I bet you never thought it would go to old men,big bellies, big heads, ugly women and no butts, but sometimes our minds go south. Seeing this is your first post you probably think what kind of people are these.
Like someone posted probably not a lot of minature people here, but I would think minature cattle is more of a hobby maybe 5 or 10 head to eat. To stock 75 acres with minature cattle it would be a challenge to find a market for that many calves each year,because you local auctions do not want them because the buyers will not buy them. I would think you are going to have find your own market and that may be a challenge. I would find a market before I got in too deep. They may be like horses if you want one you pay a high price then when you want to sell you can't give it away. Just my 2 cents what it is worth.