New to me chainsaw............

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
I dropped by the local Pawn shop and this chainsaw had just came out from over a year in storage were the owner had failed to come back and pay to get it out of hock. It is a Stihl MS361. These are the last of the 360 series pro line chainsaws that breath in gas and put out smoke without all the extra EPA equipment on it. I got it for $300 OTD.

Bn3ekz8.jpg

WHCf3bh.jpg

Looks new to me, and a good deal for sure. I have a Stihl 391 that's not oiling very good and have it adjusted to max flow, any ideas on how to get it to put out more oil?

True Grit Farms":3sdheh61 said:
Looks new to me, and a good deal for sure. I have a Stihl 391 that's not oiling very good and have it adjusted to max flow, any ideas on how to get it to put out more oil?
Usually slow oiling is the screen plugged up inside, thick oil ( use a lighter oil or spray a little WD-40 in the oil to thin down, the bar rails need cleaning, defective pump. If the saw was older I would say check the oil line in the saw. I had a 039 that would oil a 25" bar good on max. Another problem I have seen in the past is the oil spring not in the notch of the clutch drum correctly and therefore it want pump correctly.

These work great and for me bout 30 minutes to install. Easily worth a try instead of the $75/hr stihl labor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Pump-Worm- ... SwgjFZuPev

jltrent":2qkceyt3 said:
True Grit Farms":2qkceyt3 said:
Usually slow oiling is the screen plugged up inside, thick oil ( use a lighter oil or spray a little WD-40 in the oil to thin down, the bar rails need cleaning, defective pump. If the saw was older I would say check the oil line in the saw. I had a 039 that would oil a 25" bar good on max.

These work great and for me bout 30 minutes to install. Easily worth a try instead of the $75/hr stihl labor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Pump-Worm- ... SwgjFZuPev
Thanks for the information, I had a new oil pump put on recently. You nailed the problem with the thick oil, I put some diesel fuel in the oil and it's working good now.

JW IN VA":qkawjur7 said:
Doesn't look like it was ever used
I did clean the saw up, but it is very low hours and super high compression probably good as new.. A lot of coal miners recently laid off around here and they may have needed money and not able to get it back as $300 is a good price on a saw like this.

True Grit Farms":2s58z69q said:

I obviously live in Texas and still feel that OTC saw oil is too thick so I mix in ATF with mine to thin it down. I'm a believer that when your fuel runs out your oil should too. Wink!

Other thing is clean out the blade drive area of your saw including the oiling holes ever so often which helps.

I run the Stihl silver oil and run a bottle and a half to a gallon. Yes it smokes a little but not much due to the syn oil base stock and I want the extra lube. I ran my last Stihl with the silver at the recommended bottle to a gallon and I think the rings wore out prematurely...considering the shape the rest of the machine was in. If it looks like I'm getting things gummed up I'll just add a bit of Sea Foam to the gas mix and clean it out. Good thing to do periodically anyway. I kept SF in my 2 stroke outboard engine and never had a combustion area/fuel problem in the 10+ years I had it.

Use the winter grade bar oil, it's a lot thinner.
If you have a 36x you can also upgrade the oil pump to a 460 oil pump, if you want to runs longer bar like a 28" light, with full skip.

jltrent":29d7wvo4 said:
I dropped by the local Pawn shop and this chainsaw had just came out from over a year in storage were the owner had failed to come back and pay to get it out of hock. It is a Stihl MS361. These are the last of the 360 series pro line chainsaws that breath in gas and put out smoke without all the extra EPA equipment on it. I got it for $300 OTD.

Bn3ekz8.jpg

WHCf3bh.jpg

I will give you $350.00 if you bring it to my door and I will give you a quart of clear to take back home with you. :D

skyhightree1":16lquwq4 said:
jltrent":16lquwq4 said:

I will give you $350.00 if you bring it to my door and I will give you a quart of clear to take back home with you. :D
Thanks for the offer, but this one maybe a keeper even though the clear sounds good. I have sold several saws on Ebay this year and I have a few more that I may sale next year, but I would like to get down to a 3 saw plan, or maybe 5 or 10.

jltrent":3o5s1hvm said:
skyhightree1":3o5s1hvm said:
jltrent":3o5s1hvm said:

Thanks for the offer, but this one maybe a keeper even though the clear sounds good. I have sold several saws on Ebay this year and I have a few more that I may sale next year, but I would like to get down to a 3 saw plan, or maybe 5 or 10.
I'll help you out Trent, 200T, 360 and 660. A good saw for every situation. A friend of mine just got an 880 with a 59" bar and that thing is ridiculous. Awesome but ridiculous.

ohiosteve":29vfdfw8 said:
jltrent":29vfdfw8 said:
I'll help you out Trent, 200T, 360 and 660. A good saw for every situation. A friend of mine just got an 880 with a 59" bar and that thing is ridiculous. Awesome but ridiculous.

These days I don't want to hold a saw with a 20" bar all day much less the other big beasts..

ohiosteve":g6i2v3c2 said:
jltrent":g6i2v3c2 said:

I don't think a 880 with a 59" bar is ridiculous. But very few people have trees that would require a bar that size. Back in the day I spent a lot of days with an 090 with a 60" bar. An 880 would have been a huge up grade. But how many people are falling trees 8 - 10 feet on the stump on steep ground? I fell a lot of trees that were 8 foot on the stump with a 42" bar. But they were on reasonable ground where a person could get around to the downhill side of them.

Dave":1r494bu4 said:
ohiosteve":1r494bu4 said:
jltrent":1r494bu4 said:

I don't think a 880 with a 59" bar is ridiculous. But very few people have trees that would require a bar that size. Back in the day I spent a lot of days with an 090 with a 60" bar. An 880 would have been a huge up grade. But how many people are falling trees 8 - 10 feet on the stump on steep ground? I fell a lot of trees that were 8 foot on the stump with a 42" bar. But they were on reasonable ground where a person could get around to the downhill side of them.
I couldn't even imagine cutting an 8-10 ft diameter tree Dave. I get nervous dropping a 2ft diameter tree.

ohiosteve":1gudnlvu said:
jltrent":1gudnlvu said:

Here is a few of the at least 50 chainsaws I sold on Ebay the last couple years. I have owned all the saws you have listed except the 200T before and I still have my 660 and a like new 036. Those 200T are going crazy high with the newer ones being crap with the emission like the other new saws. I have bid on a few 880s but parts are super high and buying a saw unseen is scary like that. I will get one eventually.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292334102019?s ... 1561.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/292334101658?s ... 1561.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/292315978953?s ... 1561.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/292319361355?s ... 1561.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/292315981831?s ... 1561.l2649

Latest posts