New Registered Simmental x Shorthorn AI Sire available

Help Support CattleToday:

ddej9925

Reaction score
Dual-registered Simmental 50% and Shorthorn Plus 50%- DSC SimShorthorn. Good looking calving ease sire- will work on those clubby cows to produce fancy club calves or use on those registered SimAngus or Simmental cows to produce next your generation of breeding stock. Check him out at CattleVisions.com under Simmental Hybrids- DSC SimShorthorn 1312A

Nice looking bull. Looked him up on American Simmental Herdbook and his mother is a great cow. His dad is from Select Sires JSF Capiche. Thinking about using his on my SimAngus 1/2 Bloods. Progeny be 1/2 Sim 1/4 Angus 1/4 Shorthorn.

Of all of the Shorthorn sires they could have picked to make a Simmental hybrid and they used Capiche.

Really. I'm with you on that, AndyVA
Nothing I see would make me want to use him.
Yeah, I know the clubby/show SH crowd likes JPJ, but there was nothing about Capiche, beyond decent BW/CE that held the slightest interest for me; low WW/YW/MCE were deal-breakers.
There are WAY better Shorthorns available for commercial folks to use - and the epds this bull posts, in the Simmental database, are dismally poor in virtually all areas.

Almost any Waukaru, Sneed, Kaper, or A&T bull would have been a better pick than Capiche, as would Saskvalley Bonanza, Dunbeacon Venture, 7026, DRC 101VM...the list goes on.

But, it's just my opinion. No accounting for different tastes.
No offense intended if the OP is the breeder/owner, but he won't be in my tank or my cows.

Andyva":3t1zxp8d said:
Of all of the Shorthorn sires they could have picked to make a Simmental hybrid and they used Capiche.
Purely for show cattle. That's why they used a big name show bull on the shorty side, and the Simmental cow they used is out of Built Right which is another one used by a lot of show farms. So you can happen to guess they made this hybrid just for the show industry.

Too bad they couldn't use a good functional Simmental and a bull like Captain Obvious or Muridale Buster. Going for the fluffy steer with testicles look in the semen catalogue probably wouldn't work as good if they did that though.

The current Shorthorn EPD system does not correlate with simmental EPD. Shorthorn Association has partnered with Simmental Association to put the shorthorn data base in with theirs and come up with new epd number system. Yw of 100 simmental is like a 40 for shorthorn so when combined the current system is not relative but this is changing this summer from what I have been told. You should see the shorthorn numbering system get better. A 7 ce in shorthorn is good and is like a 15 in simmental association. The Shorthorn Association is very excited about all of this and anxious to see what come out of this.

redskins04":hn85xtfo said:
The current Shorthorn EPD system does not correlate with simmental EPD. Shorthorn Association has partnered with Simmental Association to put the shorthorn data base in with theirs and come up with new epd number system. Yw of 100 simmental is like a 40 for shorthorn so when combined the current system is not relative but this is changing this summer from what I have been told. You should see the shorthorn numbering system get better. A 7 ce in shorthorn is good and is like a 15 in simmental association. The Shorthorn Association is very excited about all of this and anxious to see what come out of this.
That bull should've had been a steer. There's nothing impressive about that bull.

redskin
I'm not sure about your comparison of SH 40 = SM 100; we have used some SH bulls with 40WW epds - the calves are good, but not sure they're better than the calves sired out of similar cows by SM bulls with 70WW epds.
Will be interesting to see how the 'numbers' compare if the Shorthorns move to the Simmental/Red Angus epd computation system. The numbers will change, but percentile ranking within the breed will be the same - but will make it a bit more realistic in comparing epds across those breeds.

Capiche - sure, he's in the top 10% of the Shorthorn breed for CED and top 5% for BW - but he's in the bottom 1% for WW, bottom 5% for YW, bottom 25% for MCE. Nothing there, beyond decent calving ease that would entice me to use him in a commercial setting - there's no growth, and I'd be concerned about ease of calving in his daughters.
His son, the DSC SHxSM, posts epds that are just around (SM)breed average for most traits - so...I guess he's a 'balanced' package... but, as is the case with any young, unproven bull, the proof will be in the pudding.

Main thing Capiche has going for him is that he was evidently within Select Sires price range at the sale they bought him at. There is bound to be a lot of info on him now. Not sure that he is the best representation of the breed, but unfortunately, him and his offspring are going to be what commercial cattlemen base their opinion of the shorthorn breed for the next 25 years or so.

We have 3 full sisters in blood sired by Caphice. PB Shorthorns. Not the biggest in the group but so far deep, soggy, and fertile. Just picked up a Simmental x Shorthorn cow I custom feed and breed this am. Used Caphice on her last year. Calf is out growing a few of my x-breds and PB Simmentals.

Is he the best Shorthorn bull in the breed? Not really but he has done a few things right. I will use a little more yet.

Till-Hill":3674iwlt said:
We have 3 full sisters in blood sired by Caphice. PB Shorthorns. Not the biggest in the group but so far deep, soggy, and fertile. Just picked up a Simmental x Shorthorn cow I custom feed and breed this am. Used Caphice on her last year. Calf is out growing a few of my x-breds and PB Simmentals.

Is he the best Shorthorn bull in the breed? Not really but he has done a few things right. I will use a little more yet.
;-)
That makes me feel better about the Capiche in my tank.

Latest posts