New Post Driver

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75":xy8z9m18 said:
lookin good man!

how's she poundin?

Pretty good so far. It's always a little frustrating trying to get used to a big change like this, but well worth it. I'm just about familiar enough with it to get my hands on the right levers without looking. It's an upgrade for sure.

FFS, would you mind sharing your overall thoughts on your old vector post driver? Pros, cons, etc. Thank you

fasttommy":2if53rpj said:
FFS, would you mind sharing your overall thoughts on your old vector post driver? Pros, cons, etc. Thank you

Sure. It is night and day diffrence between a pile driver style and an H beam driver. As for the Vector in particular, every hydraulic cylinder on it has been replaced or repaired, and you'd better be handy with a welder and a torch to keep one going, but still much better made than a Shaver or Worksaver. I much prefer what Protech is building, from the smallest tractor mounted driver they make, right up to the EVO 2. Full disclosure....We are now handling US sales and distribution for Protech. I honestly feel that the post drivers they build are better than anything else available, and they are contstantly trying to improve. That's why we are with Protech and not another manufacturer. Vector drivers are essentially (exactly) a copied design of Bryce Suma drivers. The owners of both Vector and Bryce Suma are less than pleasant to deal with, and any request for a modification is met with extreme resistance. Protech, on the other hand, will build a custom machine to fit a customers needs. For example, the next machine we have being built will have a hydraulic drive welder and a hydraulic post cap latch for working with longer posts. Hopefully this is helpful. If you have any specific questions about a Vector, just fire away and I'll do my best to answer.

Looking at a Danuser SM40 to mount on the front of my CTL. Anyone have experience with one - pros / cons? I like the grapple and the concept of setting posts without the need for a helper!

alpine740":3bwhdcvb said:
Looking at a Danuser SM40 to mount on the front of my CTL. Anyone have experience with one - pros / cons? I like the grapple and the concept of setting posts without the need for a helper!

Yes. I did not care for them. Difficult to drive a Post straight. Some folks like them, but was too inefficient to suit me. FWIW, I've been driving posts without a helper for nearly a decade.

Farm Fence Solutions":pzdasar1 said:
fasttommy":pzdasar1 said:

Sure. It is night and day diffrence between a pile driver style and an H beam driver. As for the Vector in particular, every hydraulic cylinder on it has been replaced or repaired, and you'd better be handy with a welder and a torch to keep one going, but still much better made than a Shaver or Worksaver. I much prefer what Protech is building, from the smallest tractor mounted driver they make, right up to the EVO 2. Full disclosure....We are now handling US sales and distribution for Protech. I honestly feel that the post drivers they build are better than anything else available, and they are contstantly trying to improve. That's why we are with Protech and not another manufacturer. Vector drivers are essentially (exactly) a copied design of Bryce Suma drivers. The owners of both Vector and Bryce Suma are less than pleasant to deal with, and any request for a modification is met with extreme resistance. Protech, on the other hand, will build a custom machine to fit a customers needs. For example, the next machine we have being built will have a hydraulic drive welder and a hydraulic post cap latch for working with longer posts. Hopefully this is helpful. If you have any specific questions about a Vector, just fire away and I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate the insight.

alpine740":3jwhqmt3 said:

its ok.. you have to be really easy hitting the posts with it..

it wobbles around quite a bit, hollering the post hole out when it does.

I set a lot with that driver and a lot of them were slightly loose the next year.

grapple did work great and it does the job.. will pound through very rough ground.

alpine740":13tzrjdk said:

I just bought one and so far so good. I drove pipe post in near solid Rock yesterday and pretty much fell in love with the thing. It's huge advantage over other drivers is the ability to apply down pressure while you hit. This gives a huge advantage in rock. And this driver will drive in ROCK. We will see how it holds up here. danuser has been around forever. My first real machine was a danuser on a Ford 8n. Made in the USA is nice to. I'll post some video as soon as I get some time and a clear phone.

callmefence":zii26h9g said:
alpine740":zii26h9g said:

I just bought one and so far so good. I drove pipe post in near solid Rock yesterday and pretty much fell in love with the thing. It's huge advantage over other drivers is the ability to apply down pressure while you hit. This gives a huge advantage in rock. And this driver will drive in ROCK. We will see how it holds up here. danuser has been around forever. My first real machine was a danuser on a Ford 8n. Made in the USA is nice to. I'll post some video as soon as I get some time and a clear phone.

Did you get the tilt and extra weights? Looking forward to seeing it in action with pipe and rock.

Farm Fence Solutions":1yssfpsu said:
callmefence":1yssfpsu said:
alpine740":1yssfpsu said:

Did you get the tilt and extra weights? Looking forward to seeing it in action with pipe and rock.

Yep tilt and 500 lb wieght. I'm really in disbelief about how it drives in rock. The grapple drops 23/8 if you don't grab it just so. 27/8 no problem. I think it's gonna be a real simple modification to fix that problem.

callmefence":2dvfr0yn said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2dvfr0yn said:
callmefence":2dvfr0yn said:

Yep tilt and 500 lb wieght. I'm really in disbelief about how it drives in rock. The grapple drops 23/8 if you don't grab it just so. 27/8 no problem. I think it's gonna be a real simple modification to fix that problem.

Sounds like she just needs a pair of gloves. ;-) I don't know why they don't market those more to the pipe side of things. Seems to me that'd be where they would shine. I'm gonna end strain some net with the winch on my driver today, just for you. It has a remote control, so I can see this being handy on a long rough stretch when there isn't any help to be had.

Is the tilt necessary if your fencelines are fairly level? Seems like I could readily position the CTL to plumb the driver. Don't think I will need it, but don't want to 'wish I had added it'!

alpine740":1ixd1mp7 said:
Is the tilt necessary if your fencelines are fairly level? Seems like I could readily position the CTL to plumb the driver. Don't think I will need it, but don't want to 'wish I had added it'!

Im sure for personal use you can get by fine without it. I've used the tilt very little so far. You have very good control over this driver with a skid steer. I do think it would be dillicult to use on a tractor fel . The tilt would definitely be more needed on the tractor.

I'm in Missouri right now and got to watch a couple guys using a brand new T3 Danuser driving pipe. It seemed to work quite well. Fellas also said they had a SM40 that would punch pipe through just about anything. I got to look at one up close at a dealership for the first time and it looked pretty good to me. Also got to see a side mount self contained wheatheart. Lots of pipe fence built and being built down here, neat to look at something different.

Latest posts