New Low

Help Support CattleToday:

Yea it was not long ago I was the Picture boy for the Hobby Guys and butting heads but this new wave of Hobby Farmers in the past couple months makes me and my operation look like a Top Notch Cattle Operation. I'm not even sure If I still fit in with these new boys.

I am thinking maybe I can start sitting at the Farmers table in the morning with the Real farmers at the local Diner instead of in the corner with the Night shift nurses and Janitors :)

aplusmnt":19m0yha0 said:
I am thinking maybe I can start sitting at the Farmers table in the morning with the Real farmers at the local Diner instead of in the corner with the Night shift nurses and Janitors :)

I think the world of all the old farmers around me, but given the opportunity I might have to go with the nurses.

fitz

The name for this topic is Beginners Board, not know it all smart a$$ loud mouths!
So for those that don't want to help Beginners may I suggest finding another topic? Go make yourselves another topic, say Ol Timers that have nothing new to learn?

Okay, I'll probably get blasted here, but enough is enough. This is the BEGINNERS board. There are a number of experienced guys who read the posts and take a great deal of time to help us BEGINNERS. (Dun comes immediately to mind) If the stupid questions offend you. Get the heck off the beginners board. Perhaps they could start a new board called the I KNOW EVERYTHING BOARD. It's just like the crap on TV. If you're not interested in the post, don't open it. I have crawled under my desk now!!! LOL!

bobrammer":3qqg95py said:
Okay, I'll probably get blasted here, but enough is enough. This is the BEGINNERS board. There are a number of experienced guys who read the posts and take a great deal of time to help us BEGINNERS. (Dun comes immediately to mind) If the stupid questions offend you. Get the heck off the beginners board. Perhaps they could start a new board called the I KNOW EVERYTHING BOARD. It's just like the crap on TV. If you're not interested in the post, don't open it. I have crawled under my desk now!!! LOL!

Much like TV it can make for some interesting reading though! And time to time we even learn something when people get called out, when they say they can keep and maintain a Cow for $100.00 per year or start threads like "how Tame are your cows". Really sparks some thoughtful points.

bobrammer":2ffge0ao said:

Kinda like getting AI advice from the beginner its ok because its the beginners board.
Try reading and the seach feature loaded with lots of great info do a little work for yourself first.
Experience is a tough teacher she gives the test first then comes the lesson.

Caustic Burno":3u24yc01 said:
bobrammer":3u24yc01 said:

Kinda like getting AI advice from the beginner its ok because its the beginners board.
Try reading and the seach feature loaded with lots of great info do a little work for yourself first.
Experience is a tough teacher she gives the test first then comes the lesson.

Well said.

Why does it offend the "real cattle farmers" when the new and unexperienced members ask stupid questions? I am also a third grade teacher, and if I had a $1 for every stupid question I am asked during an average day, I'd be a millionaire. But I also know that it is part of the learning process. I for one, really appreciate this board and the help that I have received from it.

CB is right. Some of these questions or comments on here make me cringe when I read them. The problem is that if you have 5 acres you can buy cattle and proceed to torture them, and then get good and outraged when someone tries to set you straight.

example: Hooves have been sticking out for 8 hours, what do I do? Help!!! :mad:

I haven't seen CB really hurt anybody. I have seen him help a lot of people. Some of his advice may have saved someone's life that might have gone out there to rub their bull's head. :shock:
Some of this is life and death stuff folks, if not for you, then definetly for your cattle.

Actually I have never read much of anything on here that was particularly malevolent or harmful in the discussions, like oh, maybe damaging to someones Self Esteem. If you are in the; I'm ok, you're ok club, here's a news flash; not everybody is ok, especially when they have the care of animals that are dependent on them.

Maybe learn something before you begin torturing cattle through ignorance. Is there a such a thing as a stupid question? Maybe, but this is a good place to learn the answer to it. If you don't have enough sand to take it here, you won't last long in the cattle Business. :)

KMacGinley":3m0gjnb6 said:
Maybe learn something before you begin torturing cattle through ignorance.

"Torturing"? I don't think I have seen anyone in here asking any question that amounts to torture. I may be new but common sense prevents you from torturing an animal. You pretty much have to be an air head or doing things on purpose to torture an animal. No you may not be an expert on cattle but if your on this forum and you have or are getting an animal I doubt you plan to stick them somewhere and forget them (why would you be on this forum then).

Also there are a few in here not in the "cattle business" and are just wanting to take care of one, two or a dozen, not hudreds or thousands. So 5 acres is plenty of room for a few cattle.

just my opinion
Mike

~ hobby farmers me and you~ cattle poopie stinky stinky pukeie pew~ got a died one what to do~ call the doctor ~thats what ill do~asking questions cause im~ new hobby farmers me and you ;-)

mcdowedd":343wctlj said:
Why does it offend the "real cattle farmers" when the new and unexperienced members ask stupid questions? I am also a third grade teacher, and if I had a $1 for every stupid question I am asked during an average day, I'd be a millionaire. But I also know that it is part of the learning process. I for one, really appreciate this board and the help that I have received from it.

You misunderstand; most of the cattlemen on here are grandfathers with big bellies and gray hair who love nothing more than to share their mistakes and sucesses with beginners. It is a real pleasure to really help a newbie out with a problem. The problem is that there are a lot of phonies and frauds on this forum who are more than willing to give you all the "advice" you can take. These frauds to a disservice and possible great harm to a beginner and his animals. Some of these "caustic" remarks are nothing more than an attempt to serparate the wheat from the chafe. CB has his own technique to get one of these frauds to rise to the bait and expose themselves for what they are. A lot of this "back bitting" is a calculated effort to find and weed out the frauds before they do someone some harm. For instance: being new to the cattle business you would not know that Bangs is not a sexually transmitted diease and only heifers under one year old are vaccinated. When a recent poster stated that he didn't vaccinate his bulls because he didn't use them for breeding; that was a dead give away. Only a couple of smilely faces from Texan on the next post would have given the new reader a clue that this was not a real cattleman. Don't take any advice from anyone on this forum until you know who they are. Several frauds have taken a remendous beating from CB and others but they keep on coming back.

Norris

ALACOWMAN":3fha1gbj said:
~ hobby farmers me and you~ cattle poopie stinky stinky pukeie pew~ got a died one what to do~ call the doctor ~thats what ill do~asking questions cause im~ new hobby farmers me and you ;-)

Get the paddy wagon. I think he has lost it. :shock:

ALACOWMAN":1k2mlj3d said:

Should have broken after the "new" to keep the rhythm though :)

MikeJoel":21kuy51e said:
ALACOWMAN":21kuy51e said:

Should have broken after the "new" to keep the rhythm though :)
well this is my first attemped at song writing. now i need to learn the gittar ;-)

The majority of production now comes from part timers. It is something like 68% of beef production.

With all the big farms becoming urban sub-divisions or "ranchettes", at some point it will have to turn around to where new comers can actually jump in and make profits early on.

I do indeed have the gray hair; "Grampa" is about to be applicable, one coming in July and another in November. However, I am exempt from that "big bellied" description.

MikeJoel":2sk6btui said:
KMacGinley":2sk6btui said:
Maybe learn something before you begin torturing cattle through ignorance.

"Torturing"? I don't think I have seen anyone in here asking any question that amounts to torture. I may be new but common sense prevents you from torturing an animal. You pretty much have to be an air head or doing things on purpose to torture an animal. No you may not be an expert on cattle but if your on this forum and you have or are getting an animal I doubt you plan to stick them somewhere and forget them (why would you be on this forum then).

Also there are a few in here not in the "cattle business" and are just wanting to take care of one, two or a dozen, not hudreds or thousands. So 5 acres is plenty of room for a few cattle.

just my opinion
Mike

Mike: Did you see the example that I used in my post? That was real. It was posted here not that long ago. If that is not torturing an animal, I don't know what is. People should ask their questions and learn their stuff before they start trial and erroring with living breathing feeling cattle. That's all... enough said. Mac.

CB (and all)
I've read this board for a few months now. I have a tad bit of land and a head or two so I feel comfortable in saying this:

I had a few old ranchers give me advice over the years. Most of it was because I asked a question. Some of it was because they saw me doing something wrong and wanted to help me out. Most of the advice was presented in the same format that you use. It has worked so far. I am growing out of training wheel ranching and getting close to the real thing. Few more years and and a lot rain and I'll be on the ranch with only one extra job for insurance.

Dont' change a thing and forget the sensitivity training. Heck, I read this board because of folks like you.

Chet

Latest posts