New Low

Help Support CattleToday:

you know one of the best rancher. I was ever around would bite his tounge till it bled and cuss like a sailor on his good days but you could learn from him if you had the hide it took to hang around him. he came to north ala in the 60's too manage a banker's cattle then took it over himself later that SOB was a cowboy/cattleman he done it all . was crippled on his right leg from having a horse jerked down on him. he didnt mince word didnt have the time. some you fellow alabamians might have known him if i called his name

Caustic Burno":234ko94x said:
I would almost welcome the cubicle cowboys or the hobby wannabes back, when they were not pretending to be John Chisolm there was at least a cattle discussion. We have digressed to why does calf poo stink and look at my ostrich's
Gotta bust ya' on this one Caustic. Who posted that stuff about fishin' last week ? I believe I even asked about some hushpuppies.
Catfish and ostrich meat - sounds like some new age , low fat diet food to me.
Just keepin' ya straight ol' buddy....

KMacGinley":3djrywlv said:
Mike: Did you see the example that I used in my post? That was real. It was posted here not that long ago. If that is not torturing an animal, I don't know what is. People should ask their questions and learn their stuff before they start trial and erroring with living breathing feeling cattle. That's all... enough said. Mac.

I am not very old (30) but have done a few things, and find it true so far with cows too, that research and learning is a major difference from the real thing.

I agree that the 8 hour calving is plain carelessness. There is no excuse (not even ignorance for waiting like that) but I wouldn't call it torture, their not actively doing anything against the animal (by the way what happened, got a link?).
Anyone who has their first calving cow and isn't caring anough to find out the process and what to expect shouldn't have the cow yet.

PETA and other groups claim cattle ranchers torture their animals. I was on some advocate site yesterday and they actually said that (chickens) "Slaughter is highly stressful and can cause much pain to the birds...". I took a while to stop laughing, yeah I bet slaughter is kind of stressful to them. They also say how awful it is when the birds aren't knocked out by shock but are awake when they get their throats cut, hey thats the only way we've ever butchered chickens. So am I torturing the birds, according to them yes.

I just dont like "torture" linked to animals that people are trying their best to raise. If their mistreating them on purpose then sure. I dont know where to draw the line but I wouldn't want someone looking at a mistake I make with an animal and start saying I torture them.

norriscathy":3djrywlv said:
Some of these "caustic" remarks are nothing more than an attempt to serparate the wheat from the chafe.

Maybe so (I not so sure though), besides who made Caustic and others acting like that the thresher?

And when you get attitude like that then people (like me who are getting their first animals) feel they better not ask because their questions are going to be put to the test first of "can I make it sound like a stupid question" instead of putting up a simple answer. After all if the question is so stupid then the answer should be pretty obvious.

Mike

MikeJoel":pbtp6llz said:
KMacGinley":pbtp6llz said:
Mike: Did you see the example that I used in my post? That was real. It was posted here not that long ago. If that is not torturing an animal, I don't know what is. People should ask their questions and learn their stuff before they start trial and erroring with living breathing feeling cattle. That's all... enough said. Mac.

I am not very old (30) but have done a few things, and find it true so far with cows too, that research and learning is a major difference from the real thing.

I agree that the 8 hour calving is plain carelessness. There is no excuse (not even ignorance for waiting like that) but I wouldn't call it torture, their not actively doing anything against the animal (by the way what happened, got a link?).
Anyone who has their first calving cow and isn't caring anough to find out the process and what to expect shouldn't have the cow yet.

PETA and other groups claim cattle ranchers torture their animals. I was on some advocate site yesterday and they actually said that (chickens) "Slaughter is highly stressful and can cause much pain to the birds...". I took a while to stop laughing, yeah I bet slaughter is kind of stressful to them. They also say how awful it is when the birds aren't knocked out by shock but are awake when they get their throats cut, hey thats the only way we've ever butchered chickens. So am I torturing the birds, according to them yes.

I just dont like "torture" linked to animals that people are trying their best to raise. If their mistreating them on purpose then sure. I dont know where to draw the line but I wouldn't want someone looking at a mistake I make with an animal and start saying I torture them.
Mike

peta would like me I am kind to my rabbits. I always give them a good hard hit behind the ears to knock them out before I cut of their head with my axe. They stay still better so I dont miss. The chickens only get their legs tied so they dont run off after I chop of their head.

Mike, couldn't agree more. You can share your knowledge and experience without being rude. Everybody was a beginner and knew nothing about cattle at some point in their life. I'm sure there are folks here who are rookies in the cattle business, but
they might be able to teach others a thing or two about running a manufacturing company, banking, law enforcement or whatever. There's already plenty of meaness to go around.
We all have a common interest in raising cattle and enjoying the lifestyle. Why not build upon that bond?

peta would like me I am kind to my rabbits. I always give them a good hard hit behind the ears to knock them out before I cut of their head with my axe. They stay still better so I dont miss. The chickens only get their legs tied so they dont run off after I chop of their head.

Now, that remark is a new low. Thanks so much for sharing...

Alice

Talking about a newbie torturing an animal, but a few threads back, was'nt it an 'experienced' cowman who was starving [ torturing] his whole herd?

Bullbuyer":1fopp7fr said:
Caustic Burno":1fopp7fr said:
I would almost welcome the cubicle cowboys or the hobby wannabes back, when they were not pretending to be John Chisolm there was at least a cattle discussion. We have digressed to why does calf poo stink and look at my ostrich's
Gotta bust ya' on this one Caustic. Who posted that stuff about fishin' last week ? I believe I even asked about some hushpuppies.

Bullbuyer that was on the Everthing board and you missed what we were trying to do. This Texan fellow needed fertilizer for his hay field. Some guy was trying to scalp him of fish heads and guts. Several of us were just trying to undercut the sale of organic fertilizer. ;-)

Caustic Burno":2xstwpai said:
Bullbuyer":2xstwpai said:
Caustic Burno":2xstwpai said:

Bullbuyer that was on the Everthing board and you missed what we were trying to do. This Texan fellow needed fertilizer for his hay field. Some guy was trying to scalp him of fish heads and guts. Several of us were just trying to undercut the sale of organic fertilizer. ;-)

I am going to have to start reading more new threads, I missed the ostrich, feeding chicken litter and now a fish head and guts thread. I am going to have to hire a new workers so i have enough time for threads on here.

Alice":v8a7le0b said:

Alice

I dont get it Alice. How do you butcher yours? I am open for suggestions if you have a better way.

S.R.R.":aahzdb5d said:
Alice":aahzdb5d said:

Alice

I dont get it Alice. How do you butcher yours? I am open for suggestions if you have a better way.

If you grab the hind legs with one hand and the head with the other with your thumb across the back of their neck and just pull and bend the head back over the thumb the head breaks off at the first vertebrae. Simple as pie. Only works with fryers though, stewers still take a wack

dun

Caustic Burno":22lw0mdi said:
:lol:

tsk, tsk, tsk. And here I thought all of you Cattlemen were bent outta shape 'cause the forum didn't stay cattle related. And here we have sophmoric comments, for shock value only, about rabbits and chickens, of all things, from you Cattlemen.

I'm really disappointed in what I've read the short time I've been here. I came here to learn and possibly share things that I've experienced in the years I've spent raising baby calves...and what I learned from editing an agricultural journal for 2 1/2 years. What I've found is preening and arrogance. What a shame.

Oh, by the way, my dead, cookin' chickens come from HEB. Bless their hearts, they do a really good job. Bet if I asked, they'd even come up with rabbit meat.

Now, I will practice what I preach to others. Ignore, ignore, ignore...

Alice

Alice":3t99hfj4 said:
tsk, tsk, tsk. And here I thought all of you Cattlemen were bent outta shape 'cause the forum didn't stay cattle related. And here we have sophmoric comments, for shock value only, about rabbits and chickens, of all things, from you Cattlemen.

----------------

Now, I will practice what I preach to others. Ignore, ignore, ignore...

Alice

Sorry Alice. I didnt bring the topic up for shock value. I was using it to express that what one group may call torture is not, but the normal way of handling something.

(Sorry dont know what HEB is) but someone is doing the butchering and for hundreds of years in this country an ax or knife has been used to render the animal (chickens) lifeless.
I want to be as humane to animals as should be but it is also important to remember they are animals.

I treat them a lot better than a tiger or bear would.

By the way, we use rubber cones (you see on the road) and the birds are pretty still.
Also allows for thorough bleeding.
Mike

Guess I screwed up MikeJoel,

I was referring to what SRR and Dun wrote. I could care less about what it takes to kill a chicken or rabbit.

And, H.E.B. is a supermarket chain. I use it rather than an axe and a cone.

Alice (who seems to be having a problem with ignore, ignore, ignore).

Alice":2v55nqus said:
Guess I screwed up MikeJoel,

I was referring to what SRR and Dun wrote. I could care less about what it takes to kill a chicken or rabbit.

And, H.E.B. is a supermarket chain. I use it rather than an axe and a cone.

Alice (who seems to be having a problem with ignore, ignore, ignore).

Alice I did not mean to hurt your or anyone elses feelings. :cry2: This world is getting pretty sad when talking about how best to butcher a rabbit or chicken means you are ignorant and trying for shock value! I also kill, gut and butcher my own deer :shock: partridge :shock: squirrels :shock: ducks :shock: and geese :shock: Someone had to kill the meat you buy at H.E.B. so what is your point?

Alice I did not mean to hurt your or anyone elses feelings. This world is getting pretty sad when talking about how best to butcher a rabbit or chicken means you are ignorant and trying for shock value! I also kill, gut and butcher my own deer partridge squirrels ducks and geese Someone had to kill the meat you buy at H.E.B. so what is your point?

Oh brother...After this comment :roll: , I no longer am having a problem with ignore, ignore, ignore...have a nice evening.

Alice

Alice":w46qvasv said:
Alice I did not mean to hurt your or anyone elses feelings. This world is getting pretty sad when talking about how best to butcher a rabbit or chicken means you are ignorant and trying for shock value! I also kill, gut and butcher my own deer partridge squirrels ducks and geese Someone had to kill the meat you buy at H.E.B. so what is your point?

Oh brother...After this comment :roll: , I no longer am having a problem with ignore, ignore, ignore...have a nice evening.

Alice

Alice I am sorry that you feel the need to ignore what others enjoy. I love to raise cattle, horses ect. but I also love to harvest the animals God put on this earth for us to hunt, eat and feed our familes with. I know you can not be a peta member as you do eat meat. I am confused as to why you are so agianst me eating my own animals insted of buying my meat at the store?

I think Alice is still looking for that mystical "White Rabbit",remember that song?

Bwahahahahahahahahaha! Jefferson Airplane had it goin' on....hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Latest posts