new holland br 740 round baler

Help Support CattleToday:

eze556

Reaction score
has anyone used one of these balers looking for some info
how does the open thoat work vs a hard core like the jd 467
and do the bales stay round like the jd or do they flatten out on bottom after a while

eze556":1o0jh9s0 said:
has anyone used one of these balers looking for some info
how does the open thoat work vs a hard core like the jd 467
and do the bales stay round like the jd or do they flatten out on bottom after a while

Both balers have an "Open Throat" design. The JD has the Hesston designed vertical chamber design. The NH has a bottom drum roller first used by Vermeer on their round balers in the early 1980's. The JD has the diamond tread belts and the NH uses mini-rough top belts. The NH will require a little more HP than the JD. Both balers will do a good job.

HayMaxx-anas.gif

I used a NH640 for about ten years with very few problems.I did have some trouble when it was new but learned a few tricks and rolled approx 12000 rolls with only minor problems. Traded in August of 04 for a new BR 740.I am very well pleased with this baler but I have several years of experience now with NH balers. Any problem that comes up I know exactly where to look and what to do, this takes time with any machine.One thing that gives trouble with NH balers is long stemmed hay that is laying flat and straight,it tends to hit the belt and try to shoot out the top of the baler. If you use a mower/conditioner or a tedder this will not come in to play.The tension on the belts is easy to adjust. The bales hold their shape very well

The BR740 works well in bermuda,you may need to increase belt pressure then decrease some for Sudan. Sudan will need to be conditioned or tedded to roll up well.Both grasses can be hard to cure here in TN and green rolls will burn down a good barn.

Many guys in North country using late-model NH RB's. They make a good bale that holds it's shape. The older NH balers with the chains made those bales that sagged and turned into jelly rolls. Some of that was the operator's fault.

Latest posts