New Holland 650 Round Baler

Help Support CattleToday:

Gphillips

Reaction score
I have been looking for a round baler for a while now. I have found a 1994 NH 650 for sale locally, looks like a good baler but I am going to take someone else to look at it with me next time I go. I was just wondering if any of you on here have used one of these balers and if so what are your thoughts on them.

they are good balers with very few problems
One of the main things to look at is the gears on the sledge roller, you have to open the back of the baler to look at the gears and the idler gear between them if they are wore down and the teeth are sharp they need replaced

I have one and it's been a dependable baler. Can eat up a pretty big windrow if hay is dry but if it's a little damp it will plug up on the augers of the wide pick-up if I drive too fast. Autowrap is pretty good, maybe 1 out of 100 bales the twine will in wrong location on one side and will not tie or cut, but I just have to hope out and trip the lever to re-tie and keep going. I know netwrap was an option but I don't know how that worked. I personally haven't had good luck getting cornstalks to feed very good so I don't bale many. Not near as nice as newer balers but not near the price either. I have no plans of getting ride of mine in the near future but I bale less than 500 bales a year.

Just sold mine for 8 grand. Had it for a lot of years. I ran 22K plus bales through it with very little trouble. I used the twine AND the wrap so it was nice to have the option. Traditionally I also made my bales a bit bigger than 5 feet. I never baled anything but hay and straw with it - anything else I always contracted out to a square baler. I would own another one in a heartbeat

Keep 'em shedded, greased and oiled and they almost all will run well - best to you

Bez

Gphillips":fon6jg4i said:
I have been looking for a round baler for a while now. I have found a 1994 NH 650 for sale locally, looks like a good baler but I am going to take someone else to look at it with me next time I go. I was just wondering if any of you on here have used one of these balers and if so what are your thoughts on them.

http://jacksontn.craigslist.org/grd/3716729773.html
Here is a local one just for comparison.

I bought a 640 last year which is basically the same baler in the 4x5 roll. It is an excellent baler. The autowrap works great and I have had zero issues with mine. One of the best balers for the money that I have ever seen. Just check your gears and stuff for excessive wear and make sure your steel rollers on the inside are not sloppy. Don't think you will be disappointed with it though.

Latest posts