New(er) Bull Thoughts

Help Support CattleToday:

Franke

Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on OMF Epic, HILB Oracle, VCL LKC Equity, and W/C Rolex?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
This might help some.

http://bullbarn.com/simmepd.asp?ID=1116

https://cattlevisions.com/detail.php?BullId=4380

https://cattlevisions.com/detail.php?BullId=4515

https://cattlevisions.com/detail.php?BullId=4379

Thank you

With any bull selection, I usually look at what his weakest points are and decide if those weaknesses will be major for me, or if I can live with them with minimal impact. I finish all my calves and sell them on a grid, so OMF Epic would be my first choice of those four, and second place would be quite a ways behind. Full disclosure, I've known the Aggen family at OMF for half my life and always liked and respected them. Tested one of their bulls as part of a structured evaluation program more than ten years ago. Hooks Pharoah. The Pharoah calves grew quite well and didn't have any major flaws. Interesting point on their carcass data is that I never had one grade higher than High Choice. They'd be 90% CAB, but not a single one could make the next third of a grade jump to hit Prime. A couple grids are +$30 on Prime and +$3 on CAB. That last third of a grade to go from CAB to Prime can be $200 per head.

OMF Epic's numbers look good. His biggest issue looks to be backfat and ribeye area. Take those two traits out and I like his numbers a whole lot more. A feedlot implant can help ribeye area shortcomings, and backfat to a lesser extent.

Equity comes up short on growth traits. Plenty of bottom 5-10% rankings on growth and middle of the pack on carcass traits. He'd be my second choice of the four.

Rolex looks clubby and high-headed in his picture. Neither of those are traits I'm looking for. His DOC numbers say he'd be a top 2% animal, so maybe it's a bad photo.

Oracle looks great physically. There's not much behind his EPDs to get me excited, though. Bottom 10% on growth and below-average on carcass traits.

I didn't make it to the inaugural OMF production sale this past winter, but I think I'll be there next year.

What'sMyBeef said:
With any bull selection, I usually look at what his weakest points are and decide if those weaknesses will be major for me, or if I can live with them with minimal impact. I finish all my calves and sell them on a grid, so OMF Epic would be my first choice of those four, and second place would be quite a ways behind. Full disclosure, I've known the Aggen family at OMF for half my life and always liked and respected them. Tested one of their bulls as part of a structured evaluation program more than ten years ago. Hooks Pharoah. The Pharoah calves grew quite well and didn't have any major flaws. Interesting point on their carcass data is that I never had one grade higher than High Choice. They'd be 90% CAB, but not a single one could make the next third of a grade jump to hit Prime. A couple grids are +$30 on Prime and +$3 on CAB. That last third of a grade to go from CAB to Prime can be $200 per head.

OMF Epic's numbers look good. His biggest issue looks to be backfat and ribeye area. Take those two traits out and I like his numbers a whole lot more. A feedlot implant can help ribeye area shortcomings, and backfat to a lesser extent.

Equity comes up short on growth traits. Plenty of bottom 5-10% rankings on growth and middle of the pack on carcass traits. He'd be my second choice of the four.

Rolex looks clubby and high-headed in his picture. Neither of those are traits I'm looking for. His DOC numbers say he'd be a top 2% animal, so maybe it's a bad photo.

Oracle looks great physically. There's not much behind his EPDs to get me excited, though. Bottom 10% on growth and below-average on carcass traits.

I didn't make it to the inaugural OMF production sale this past winter, but I think I'll be there next year.

Excellent response. :welcome: to Cattle Today!

Equity and Oracle are both on my to use list, not sure if that helps you any. Epic just doesn't get me excited to use him. As I see calves I may feel different. Many people like his sire and the cattle he creates.

Equity is probably highest on my list due to the cow families in his pedigree, all of them are known for making the type of cows I want to make, and the Profit genetics are red hot at this time, so the marketability should be there.

WMF,
We used a cane of Hooks Pharaoh semen several years back on virgin heifers. Calves were good, but as we sell weanlings, I've got no idea how they performed at the feedlot or on the rail. Didn't get a single heifer out of the deal.

I like Epic and will be flushing to him this fall. I have know the Aggen's for a long time and we have used his Commander bull a few times and know what he can do. I saw a couple of the Oracle breds out of AJE Gabby (I just bought a daughter) and really liked them along with everyone else, I got outbid by quite a bit. Rolex is a full brother to Relentless ( I think had a very good Jr National showing). All three are available for sexed female semen. And Equity really intrigues me.

Latest posts