Thoughts on this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Admittedly I figured out who the bull is :)

My initial thoughts aligned with Ken.

I was not familiar with the bull. Interesting pedigree (for me anyway).

I like how he looks for many reasons. However, I would like to see his pedigree before
I would use him. Looks can be deceiving.

He has apparently sired very few calves (with progeny data submitted to AAA) for his age (4.5years), therefore the low accuracies on the EPD's. Birth weights on only 20 calves. Weaning weights on just 12. Wondering why he has not been used more in purebred herds?

Photo of the bull looks good. The breeder is a guy in Missouri. People might be reluctant to try a bull from a name that is not familiar. I read the bull's EPDs and saw how short he is. Too short for me. ...to find this bull look on the Genex website.

For those that haven't already figured out the bull's identity, it's Butchs Trustee.
He is a Confidence Plus son but as mentioned before there are only 20 offspring reported to the Angus association, so EPD accuracies are low.
All of the $ indexes are in the top 10% of the breed.

For those that haven't already figured out the bull's identity, it's Butchs Trustee.
He is a Confidence Plus son but as mentioned before there are only 20 offspring reported to the Angus association, so EPD accuracies are low.
All of the $ indexes are in the top 10% of the breed.

I do not know the bull. But a photo alone does no good. Just as numbers alone do no good. Too much of a cost and possible waste of time to merely drool over a polished picture. If my pricing insults you, add $500 for the registered value until I know more. The semen collection centers and farm tanks are full of semen from past "great ones". Most should be dumped.

@Ebenezer share with us the names of these great ones you speak of that are filling all of these tanks.
Are these great ones affordable to the commercial cattle raisers?

He has apparently sired very few calves (with progeny data submitted to AAA) for his age (4.5years), therefore the low accuracies on the EPD's. Birth weights on only 20 calves. Weaning weights on just 12. Wondering why he has not been used more in purebred herds?
I think this is the modern seedstock reality. Both breeders and AI companies can comb the data and find outliers. The bull may be in some commercial pasture and they buy the bull just for the potential genetic merit in the EPDs/DNA.

It's my understanding that there is a bull that sold initially for not much fanfare, potentially had some fertility issues, perhaps was returned, then ended up in an AI catalog with some outstanding "numbers" and was promoted heavily (I was at one of the seminars -- though they didn't mention the initial issues).

In 2021, the bull was in the top #15 in angus registrations.

Latest posts