Thoughts on this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

My problem with almost every Confidence Plus son out there is his terrible scrotal size EPD. Maybe they are just late hitting puberty - I don't know. For some reason the HP on them is quite high despite the SC EPD.

My problem with almost every Confidence Plus son out there is his terrible scrotal size EPD. Maybe they are just late hitting puberty - I don't know. For some reason the HP on them is quite high despite the SC EPD.
It's been found that while scrotal size is correlated to when heifers cycle, it's really not that important

I for one don't need heifers coming into heat at 5 months either!

View attachment 13700

I'm interested in your thoughts on this bull before I tell his name.

J+
I don't know the bull or any of his stats, so I'm guessing you are asking about conformation.

He's well muscled, carrying plenty of muscle well down into the hock and across his top line. Straight, long back, smooth shoulder, and not overly muscled in his neck. Not a lot of belly which seems to happen to a lot of Angus. If I was to mention anything negative I'd like to see him in action because his back legs look a little straight and he has slightly too much brisket but I'd like to see him from the front to say for sure.

View attachment 13700

J+
Rear leg is a little straight, front shoulder is a little straight. Neck should be more muscular. Hard to tell on the rear hip but it looks on the short side. Depth is okay, and lacks a beer gut which is good. I'd give him a 6, but would breed accordingly with my above comments.

@Ebenezer share with us the names of these great ones you speak of that are filling all of these tanks.
Are these great ones affordable to the commercial cattle raisers?
Apparently you did not read what I wrote. I said there are some good bulls in the past but way too many that "had potential", were collected and did little good. The promoters are still doing the same thing. Go to some of the web sale sites and there are a lot of bulls from $5 to $500. What a person needs to know is what fits their environment and management and then start looking. Do you look at the price of the semen or the quality of the calves to determine the amount semen is worth?

I need to look this bull up and see what he has to offer.

Apparently you did not read what I wrote. I said there are some good bulls in the past but way too many that "had potential", were collected and did little good. The promoters are still doing the same thing. Go to some of the web sale sites and there are a lot of bulls from $5 to $500. What a person needs to know is what fits their environment and management and then start looking. Do you look at the price of the semen or the quality of the calves to determine the amount semen is worth?

I need to look this bull up and see what he has to offer.
Looked him up. Dam had 4 calves recorded for birth, 3 for weaning and 2 for yearling. That does not do anything for me. $EN is negative and feet scores are like he is up on his hoof tips or something.

View attachment 13700

J+
You are the one you have please so if you like him go ahead. If you have time you may wish to do more research as the picture appears
to be enhanced. In any case have a reliable back up as 'one on the ground' trumps an open cow any day. Good Luck!

View attachment 13700

J+
I live nearby Butchs Angus. They have been in the business for a long time and have very nice cattle. Some of our first registered cows came from Butchs. I think he's a good looking bull and has a nice epd profile. His numbers would work in our program. I may be wrong but I think Paul Meier (Butchs son) may be a Genex rep.

I like him just by his look but would want to know more about the breeding behind him if i were to use him. Angle of photo doesnt help his shoulder or back leg but i suspect both would be fine if seeing him in the flesh. I would also want to see him walking. Love his topline. Not crazy about loose skin on his brisket.

I agree a personal dislike with too many bulls today are the sway backs that look like the bottom of a rocking chair.
I think a lot of the problem is photographers want the pic with the head up and ears forward. That drops the middle unless the bull is being posed on halter with head up and a show stick pulling up the middle. Probably no one would use this bull just going by his picture in a catalog but he is in a lot of Angus pedigrees. Nothing prettier than fat.

1646847165449.png

I think a lot of the problem is photographers want the pic with the head up and ears forward. That drops the middle unless the bull is being posed on halter with head up and a show stick pulling up the middle. Probably no one would use this bull just going by his picture in a catalog but he is in a lot of Angus pedigrees. Nothing prettier than fat.

View attachment 14163
The one at the start of this post has a good topline with head up and ears forward….I don't like chair rockers either

Latest posts