ABS' new Alpha Sheaths

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
Has anyone tried them? I purchased a pack and had my AI guy use them. They are "slightly" bigger diameter than others. Are we supposed to use a different gun? When we pull the straw out of the Alpha, we can definitely see semen left in the sheath. Not much, but there is some. I haven't pulled the straw from a regular sheath and examined it for left over semen.

I have not used them but looking through the literature about them it says less backflow??? I regularly check my sheathes after breeding and can't say I have ever seen semen residue in my old style sheaths. not sure how sheath design gives better semen deposit into uterus because of the two holes. I will just stick to my old reliable ones.

Our old friend Ron discussed them in a FB group back in December. He felt that the smooth closed end (with 2 side ports for semen delivery) made getting through the cervix easier.

I have not used them, but any sheath with an insert is going to leave a little semen inside since the insert has a fixed opening that the semen must pass through. The plunger on the gun will push the internal cotton plug to the end of the straw against that insert that seals it. The insert is between the cut end of the straw and the end of the sheath, so nothing to push that last little bit out of the insert. Traditional sheaths with a colored insert mean you don't see the little bit left inside. Seems like that design with a closed tip and 2 side ports might leave a little more in the sheath than the older type. I think all that is correct, but no guarantee.

Latest posts