New Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

They look good, I would have bought them if I had room.
We filled up last summer during the drought, we bought some really nice cows for a very good price, we had grass during the summer and we have enough hay to get them through the winter, we bought these cattle for resale next spring, a lot were bred, some weren't palpated, we have some calves on the ground already and should have a lot more after the 1st of the year.
It going to be hard to let some of these go.
But that's the business we're in now.

With a calf like that, she has the right to be skinny. I'd love to have some of your cattle but they'd melt down here.
I wonder if they don't see more heat where Nesi lives?
After 2021 I wonder that too.. We peaked at 119F in the shade, cows were in the sun, but I set up irrigation for them to stand under.. usually they hate the water, but they learned it was cooler under there, they do fine with no shade at 100

This was that peak heat day
20210629_181306.jpg

After 2021 I wonder that too.. We peaked at 119F in the shade, cows were in the sun, but I set up irrigation for them to stand under.. usually they hate the water, but they learned it was cooler under there, they do fine with no shade at 100

View attachment 23413
Nice looking herd.

Appears someone took her horns off huh?
Glad she's doing well!

How's the brown one coming along?
Brown one has filled out but not like the black one

Attachments

• 142ECE25-467B-43E1-A577-1C6F177F2C55.jpeg
    142ECE25-467B-43E1-A577-1C6F177F2C55.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 6EB0253D-E768-4EE6-8CE5-C9D33002B37C.jpeg
    6EB0253D-E768-4EE6-8CE5-C9D33002B37C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Update on this thread:
Both cows calved in February, found black cow's calf dead about 2 weeks later with no explanation, gave less than $600 for her and already have her sold for burger so will work out. The brown one lost her calf at a few weeks old due to hernia, she belongs to my dad and is a good young cow so will probably give her another chance since death was no fault of her own, if replacements weren't so high she'd probably be burger too. So to recap, I bought 4 mama cows between July and end of December, 2 lost calves, 1 has a 3 legged calf due to frostbite, and one has a real nice bull calf. I have terrible luck with cow/calf, only upside is my average was $862.50 each on these 4 cows so I can still make money but not as much as I'd hoped for.

View attachment 23413
Nice cows, beautiful country.
If I was a young man I would want to crawl all over them hills.

Thanks for the update. A newborn calf and a hernia? Someone please explain...

Thanks for the update. A newborn calf and a hernia? Someone please explain...
Umbilical hernia can occur in calves. Of course, the umbilical cord is the tube that connects the calf to the cow. It passes though the abdominal wall at the navel. There has to be a hole there for the cord to pass through. That little hole should close up after birth. But some calves have a larger hole that does not close up or does not close quickly due to size. The intestines can descend into the hole and can get trapped/pinched. That results in the death of the calf unless action is taken quickly. You can feel the intestines and the hole. The intestines can be pushed back up through the hole. A big "bandage" around the calf can be used to attempt to keep the intestines pushed up into the proper place. Surgery can be done to suture the hole closed. Note that a small hernia can have a little intestine go back and forth through the hole until it closes off. The danger is when they stay down and get trapped/pinched. Experience says that some sires produce more calves with hernias, so a genetic issue maybe. Swollen navel area calls for examination for a hernia or for navel ill.

Umbilical hernia can occur in calves. Of course, the umbilical cord is the tube that connects the calf to the cow. It passes though the abdominal wall at the navel. There has to be a hole there for the cord to pass through. That little hole should close up after birth. But some calves have a larger hole that does not close up or does not close quickly due to size. The intestines can descend into the hole and can get trapped/pinched. That results in the death of the calf unless action is taken quickly. You can feel the intestines and the hole. The intestines can be pushed back up through the hole. A big "bandage" around the calf can be used to attempt to keep the intestines pushed up into the proper place. Surgery can be done to suture the hole closed. Note that a small hernia can have a little intestine go back and forth through the hole until it closes off. The danger is when they stay down and get trapped/pinched. Experience says that some sires produce more calves with hernias, so a genetic issue maybe. Swollen navel area calls for examination for a hernia or for navel ill.
With the intestines pushed up a couple of safety pins can be pushed through the loose skin up close to the abdominal wall and 1 or 2 green elastrator band slipped over them. (diaper pins if you don't know what safety pins are)

Ken

Latest posts