New cow preg test on market

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris H

Reaction score
The vet lab we used last year sent a letter in early August. They switched from BioPryn to a test from this maker,http://www.idexx.com/view/xhtml/en_us/corporate/news/press-releases/20110809pr.jsf The cost is just slightly more than BioPryn, but the test is slightly more accurate, can be used 28 days post breeding, 60 days post calving. 60 days vs 90 days for BioPryn is pretty nice if you're looking to move a cow earlier in the breeding season.

Oh, you get the test results back quicker, too. We drove the blood samples to the clinic, 2.5 hours away, dropped them off and did some sightseeing in the area. We drove home and the results were waiting in my email.

I'm just not that impatient to know if the cow's bred or not. And...just because she's pregnant at 28 days doesn't mean she'll still be pregnant at 60 days. Have seen way too many that didn't return to heat at 18-21 days post breeding(AI or bull), but show up in heat later on - especially when breeding in HOT weather.
I'd be afraid that if I put all my eggs in that basket, and got the news that the ol' gal was bred, I might drop my guard and not be watching close enough to catch her if she aborted and cycled back in.

I'm not all AI; most of my adult cows get one AI service and then out to the bull. So...if they don't stick to the AI service, the bull should take care of it from that point forward. If I palpate, and they're 60+ days along, I feel pretty confident that, barring a disaster, that they'll carry to term.

We use http://bedfordvetlab.com/.

It's a management tool that works in our situation. My husbands health & my job off the farm keeps us from watching for cycling cows. Last year we turned out 3 bulls in 3 pastures, all fertile when turned out. I needed estimated calving dates on the Angus bred heifers & cows since we planned on selling that group. Turns out the bull didn't get the job done but we had time to switch bulls and still get them bred to another bull and sell them as due to calve in the spring.

I don't know how many of you read the Pinzgauer Journal (OK- don't laugh at me! :help: ) but anyway there's a gentlemen who was a vet back in his day that always does a Q and A type deal and this last issue he mentioned something about a test than can be done on farm with a milk sample. Has anyone heard anything about this?

CPL":20ft65hj said:
I don't know how many of you read the Pinzgauer Journal (OK- don't laugh at me! :help: ) but anyway there's a gentlemen who was a vet back in his day that always does a Q and A type deal and this last issue he mentioned something about a test than can be done on farm with a milk sample. Has anyone heard anything about this?
They've been doing it for years in dairys

Latest posts