new Chevy Silverado engines

Help Support CattleToday:

t&d farms

Reaction score
wondering if there were any opinions on the new "active Fuel Management" system in silverado Vorteck 5.3L or Vortec MAX 6.0V8 It seems that four of the eight cylinders deactivates when less power is needed. an example givin was "cruisin down the highway"

we're in teh market for a new or very newer truck i like the chevys my husband likes anything that will run lol. we are mostly looking at deisels but wonder what kind of mpg that these newer gas engines get i know the older trucks got around 10mpg

any opinions would be appreciated
thanks in advance

Don't know about this deal....

But...........My haying partner bought a new Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD last year. His first tank of gasoline got him exactly 6 MPG.

Needless to say, he's got a Duramax now.

my neighbor has a 07 powerstroke flat bed dually and the best it gets is about 8mpg. that is w/o a trailer. he is not real impressed. it may have to do with the all the emission requirements the gov't put on vehicles.

"Needless to say, he's got a Duramax now"
do you know how much he gets in teh Duramax? we've heard that most hte newer desiels get around 18-23

"it gets him over 30 mpg on highway"

Do you know what type of truck that is? like a 3/4 ton or the 1/2 ton? and does he pull anythign with it? how does it pull? what does he get when hes not on the highway.
30 isnt bad at all..

my uncle got a new tundra this year. but its only a 1/2ton not really what we're looking for he gets around 18 with his

we're interested in the silverado 2500hd 4x4

sorry for all the questions. but thanks for the replies.

My buddy has a brand new black 1/2 ton, 4dr, Z-71. It has that deal. Its a switch where you can put it for 8cyl or 4cyl.

During the week when he is working he gets 24mpg in the 4cyl mode. That is with 285 BFGs and driving in town. That is damn good... any one who has a truck simular to that with some 285s and drives in town knows. :shock:

That is a nice driving truck. I have driven it several times.

Side note... Duramax gets 18-20 on the highway driving 70mph.

sorry, dont know what ton it is. he wasnt pullin anything. the only major work that truck will ever do is have a pallet of seed in the back. thats all the info i got. that it gets over 30 on highway. and knowin him he was goin purty fast.

cattleluvr18":152e6em5 said:
sorry, dont know what ton it is. he wasnt pullin anything. the only major work that truck will ever do is have a pallet of seed in the back. thats all the info i got. that it gets over 30 on highway. and knowin him he was goin purty fast.

He must have some guys pulling a funny on him and putting extra gallons of fuel in his tank when he's not looking. I've got one and get 18-19, which is real good for a heavy truck like that. :lol:

For every internal combustion engine including jet engines, it takes 6 lbs of fuel to create 15 Horse Power.

Cut your HP back and cut your fuel consumption back.

VZCR":tui1ahrn said:
cattleluvr18":tui1ahrn said:

He must have some guys pulling a funny on him and putting extra gallons of fuel in his tank when he's not looking. I've got one and get 18-19, which is real good for a heavy truck like that. :lol:
yeah i bet. :roll:

I have a 2004 2500 with the 6.0 and I get 16 mpg. I would think this new technology should do much better, but I do not know anyone with the new truck.

csm

MikeC":22uehmer said:
For every internal combustion engine including jet engines, it takes 6 lbs of fuel to create 15 Horse Power.

Cut your HP back and cut your fuel consumption back.
I don't understand. I put a chip in my truck which increased HP and fuel mileage.

Brute 23":1idyvjj9 said:
My buddy has a brand new black 1/2 ton, 4dr, Z-71. It has that deal. Its a switch where you can put it for 8cyl or 4cyl.

During the week when he is working he gets 24mpg in the 4cyl mode. That is with 285 BFGs and driving in town. That is be nice good... any one who has a truck simular to that with some 285s and drives in town knows. :shock:

That is a nice driving truck. I have driven it several times.

Side note... Duramax gets 18-20 on the highway driving 70mph.

That's pretty close to what I get with my Duramax. Since new the average fuel consumption is 17.7 MPG (I've put 80K+ miles on it). And that's with a 6600 lb. vehicle. I can't complain about the milage.