New calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Chapin81

Reaction score
New calf's and getting rid of
the bulls because they are light.

born two days ago

This is a son of JDH Woodson de Manso he's 29 months old and working with 100 heifers waiting to see what his calves look like. First are due in late October

These two guys are our biggest mistakes purchased in mexico.

new stud coming tomorrow he's a son of JDH Clanton de Manso 21 months old.

Fire away and criticize I like to hear people's thoughts so I can breed better quality cattle. All grass fed.
FYI usually weaning weight with the steers that are offspring of the bulls that were purchased in Mexico are about 400lbs maybe 450lbs if we get lucky

Love them Brahman calves. Sorry to hear they haven't been growing out well. Purebred steers take a beating in most places, and not having much weight to them makes it hurt even worse unless you have a different way you are marketing them. Were the Mexico bulls bought for low birthweight calves? I didn't know if the calves started out too small and just never can catch up, or if they are just poor performers all the way around. They look like small calves, but the cows may just be big and make them look that way. Hopefully the new bulls with JDH breeding will get you the better results you are looking for.

I don't know, I think I'd be looking a bit deeper than the bulls. A good cow on good feed will produce an acceptable calf sired by a pretty sorry bull. It is not until you start keeping heifers by those bulls that the quality of your herd goes down. Only one of your photos shows some grass.

Ken

A.J. said:
Love them Brahman calves. Sorry to hear they haven't been growing out well. Purebred steers take a beating in most places, and not having much weight to them makes it hurt even worse unless you have a different way you are marketing them. Were the Mexico bulls bought for low birthweight calves? I didn't know if the calves started out too small and just never can catch up, or if they are just poor performers all the way around. They look like small calves, but the cows may just be big and make them look that way. Hopefully the new bulls with JDH breeding will get you the better results you are looking for.

The two bulls from Mexico were purchased as a "great deal" they weren't purchased for any particular reason it was just cheap. sure enough a year later we started getting calls that their offspring both male and female were "small" the two bulls we had prior did not present this problem. Then I also found out these bulls were not registered. Personally I think they are a mixed breed. we have decided not to keep their heifers and the steers are going to market anyway. Lesson learned, don't turn you back on your cattle. The other heifers that are with a Woodson son, their sires where registered and they weren't small at BW and WW. A life learning experience, can't make up the time we lost due to this.

wbvs58 said:
I don't know, I think I'd be looking a bit deeper than the bulls. A good cow on good feed will produce an acceptable calf sired by a pretty sorry bull. It is not until you start keeping heifers by those bulls that the quality of your herd goes down. Only one of your photos shows some grass.

Ken

Those pastures do have little grass. They are going into new pastures soon. we are fixing a rotational problem we have.
And yes agreed I do believe some cows are not worth keeping, the problem is my family's been working with out a scale for years so there is no proper way to keep track of weight gains until we sell them , and a neighbor is kind enough to let us rent/use his when this happens . I just brought a squeeze chute but it hasn't shipped because of covid19. And the trutest load bars are there already but no chute :(

ALACOWMAN said:
Some good Bulls will help you catch back up..get you a couple heavy boned,,deep bodied, grey Bulls..

Will do. The problem is find them here it's tough.

ALACOWMAN said:
They are decent.light made..looks like your new bull should improve them..you got a lot of frame on em .. just need more meat hanging on them..
Thanks for the input :cboy:

Latest posts