new calf cold weather

Help Support CattleToday:

RAWCJW

Reaction score
well I have my first calf today, and we have 10 inches of snow on the ground and it's supposed to be cold tonight, it's 13 deg now. The cow is very protective and down a big hill from my barn. Do I leave them alone or try to move the calf ?She has him dry but he seems to be shivering alot and he doesn't appear to be nursing. his legs are covered with snow but he seems to be moving good do I need to worry about ears or feet for frost bite?

Were it me, I'd bring mother and baby into the barn tonight. That way, you can be certain he is nursing. As cold as it is, he's gonna need the nutrition, and you want to make certain he gets the colostrum. Just my 2 cents.

Alice

I would put mom and baby in the barn if there is any question about if they are not nursing or if the weather is wet and cold in the first couple days. It gives you a chance to make sure they are getting the colostrum they need and also gives mom & baby a chance to bond out of the bad weather. This is my personal opinion...

Well I got them in the barn. You would be surprised how fast a guy can run backwards in 10 inches of snow uphill. Good thing Highlands have small calves, I think I will leave them in overnight and if all is well turn them loose in the morning. How long do you wait for a calf to nurse before helping. He seems to be standing all the time.

Myself, I wouldn't wait too long if for no other reason than I'd want to go on inside the house, rest, and get a good night's sleep w/o worrying about it. And, colostrum needs to be in the little guy w/in 24 hours.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AN110

Glad you got them inside...if nothing else, I sure do feel better...but then, I'm a woosie.

Alice

i would make sure the calf has nursed within 8-10 hrs of being born. The sooner they get the colostrum, the better in my opinion.

HPIM0817.JPG
He was born between 8 this morning and 1:00 this afternoon I have been checking on this cow for a week now 3 times a night. My wife made me go x-mas shopping this morning go figure :roll:

That picture...that mama and her baby...that's what it's all about. Thank you so much for posting that.

It's your first, right? How exciting for you!

Alice

Yes it's our first I don't remember being this nervous with my kid's. I think it's because I don't know what I'm doing. At least she waited until after the rain and snow. She was due dec 5 It,s pretty rewarding to finally see a calf of you're own. My bull is a dun color, kinda weird color genetics. I have another due in a few weeks

Congrats, Pop! I can imagine you being a bundle of nerves. When your own precious babies were born, you knew the experts were there...and you wouldn't have to go hunt them all over he11 and half of Georgia to find them...then face a mad mama to check them out...then wonder do I bring them in, or leave them out. In other words, man oh man...do I ever feel your pain!

Alice

What an adorable picture!
I remember those first babies and all the nervousness and sleepless nights that went a long with it. It is bad enough dealing with those protective moms without the horns!! I can imagine how fast you went through the deep snow carrying that bundle. It is a real good thing it wasn't a heavy calf. How much does it weigh? Have you seen it nurse yet? How old is the mom? How many more do you have to calve yet?
Congrats!

Get some hay or straw and put it out near where she is keeping the calf. These animals are a tougher than you think. If the calf seems to be fine, just try to get something for them to bed on. They'll survive. Especially a HIghland!!!

As long as the calf is dried off and has sucked it will be fine. If it's ears were frozen it will have happened fairly quickly after the calf was born, and there is nothing you can do about it now anyways. We have had calves born in warmer weather than that freeze their ears and we have had them born in colder weather and their ears were fine. All depends on mama. That temp is nip and tuck on the ears, but if they didn't freeze and they are dried off well chances are he will be fine. Make sure he is sucking, and that he is bedded well, that will be the most important things you can do.

Too cute..... congrats on the new baby. Sounds like you did all the right things. That pic brings into reality that calving season is right around the corner, ours are due Jan 18th. Seems like we wait forever, then boom, it's here.

Thanks for posting the pic.

Thanks to all. The calf is doing good lays in hay pile most of time. I helped him nurse yesterday about 10:30 am. He is pretty active when he is up. Weighs 60 lbs

RAWCJW":3p82ivtm said:
Thanks to all. The calf is doing good lays in hay pile most of time. I helped him nurse yesterday about 10:30 am. He is pretty active when he is up. Weighs 60 lbs

Hit him with 5cc of B12. That might help from you having to help him find the teat.....well, that and shaving the shaggy hair.... :roll: :lol: :lol:

On second thought...hit him with about two to three if he is only 60lbs

Is your area Selenium deficient? If so, that's the MOST important thing to get into the calf - BoSe from your vet. If calf is up & dried and fed, he should be bouncing around & playing. Of course, there are some calves that seem to be real slow getting going, but usually because they are lacking something.

Latest posts