New Bull Testing

Help Support CattleToday:

MOFarmer2013

Reaction score
I have just bought a registered bull that has been with another herd. Before I put him with my cows, do I need to test him for anything? Recent topics on here have made me nervous.

Yes he is a reputable guy. They are both 2 years old. They have been with his cows. After reading recent topics on Johnes, I didn't know if that was something i need to test for or not.

I'd like a Johne's test - though I know that most 2-yr olds, even if they are infected, will probably test negative.
You might ask the breeder if he's had any JD diagnosed in his herd; he may or may not tell you, especially if he's had it diagnosed, but most reputable breeders who are enrolled in an official herd testing program will be glad to divulge their negative herd test status.

Lucky_P":3qhy8s4n said:
I'd like a Johne's test - though I know that most 2-yr olds, even if they are infected, will probably test negative.
You might ask the breeder if he's had any JD diagnosed in his herd; he may or may not tell you, especially if he's had it diagnosed, but most reputable breeders who are enrolled in an official herd testing program will be glad to divulge their negative herd test status.
:nod: :nod: :nod:

Latest posts