Nelore

Help Support CattleToday:

VanessaF

Reaction score
If anyone can give me any information on Nelore cattle, it would be great! Also if anyone has so experience with cattle in Brazil, I would love to hear about it. Thanks!

I have polled nelore cattle. Nelore is one of the breeds of bos indicus cattle that make up the grey brahman.

Nelore cattle are taller brahman. They do not have as much leather as brahman nor the big ears, but yet the heat tolerance is stil there.
Nelore or originally from brazil. Ranchers there have pastures with 20,000 cows. The cattle migrate from one side of the pasture to another. Cows have to calve, get the baby up to nurse and catch up to the herd before predators come. This has been imprinted into the Nelore cattle. Calves are more vigorous at birth and quickly get to their feet and nurse

Females have smaller teats unlike some brahman have. With Nelore cattle being higher off the ground, when the babies look up to nurse the instantly find the teat. The Nelore cattles udders are not low to ground so there is less chance of calves not finding the teat.

Nelore are registered as Brahman through the Bahman association.

I will try and post a picture of my Nelore cattle.
I am just getting started in the nelore and brahman business. I do not know everything about them, but I hope I helped some.

Thank you so much. I do not know anything about cattle. I am moving to Brazil very soon. I know that land is pretty cheap, but you cant do much with it, I am told that the soil is sandy and acidic. I am going to be really close to the Amazon rainforest, northeastern Brazil. So really there is no seasonal change, its hot and humid and there are a lot of mosquitoes. I want to learn everything that I can on owning cattle, particularly owning Nelore in Brazil. Is this a good breed for beginners?

VanessaF":1n10fd26 said:
Thank you so much. I do not know anything about cattle. I am moving to Brazil very soon. I know that land is pretty cheap, but you cant do much with it, I am told that the soil is sandy and acidic. I am going to be really close to the Amazon rainforest, northeastern Brazil. So really there is no seasonal change, its hot and humid and there are a lot of mosquitoes. I want to learn everything that I can on owning cattle, particularly owning Nelore in Brazil. Is this a good breed for beginners?

I am a beginner myself. I am 16 and have been around cattle all my life. But am new to the brahman and nelore. In brazil your best bet would be Nelore.
The key is make sure the cattle are gentle. BRahman and Nelore cattle responded quickly to the way they are being treated. Start off with gentle cattle. Depending on how soon you want to start making money on from your cattle, I would start with young GENTLE heifers, that way they can get used to you and trust you. My nelore heifers are young and gentle.

Handle the cattle slowly and patiently if you move too fast they will get agitated. IF you start off with young heifers and get them used to you, you still need to be careful at calving. When the cows calve give them a week before you mess with the calves.
I Breed my Brahman and NElore cattle between 18 - 24 months. They are the only breed I breed that late in age, because they will reach their growth potential better if you do not breed them younger than 18 months. The younger you breed brahman or Nelore, the more input you will have to put into them to get them to their potential size.

With the climate in Braziil I do not know any other breeds, besides other BOs Indicus cattle to use.

Kingfisher":1u893xl5 said:
dun":1u893xl5 said:
Boss Cowman":1u893xl5 said:
what predators are there in brazil?
Jaguar is the only one I know of for sure.
You don't think they have bears there?
Got me curious so I did a search. The only brazil bear it came up with was teddy bear

I am a registered Polled Nelore breeder in Texas and Oklahoma. I have worked hard to overcome the myths that Nelore cattle have bad temperaments and are small boned. People that visit me are surprised at the gentle nature of the cattle and the amount of meat and bone that they exhibit. I can be contacted at 903-466-6243 to answer any questions that you might have about nelore cattle.

RickButler":4lo6b622 said:
I am a registered Polled Nelore breeder in Texas and Oklahoma. I have worked hard to overcome the myths that Nelore cattle have bad temperaments and are small boned. People that visit me are surprised at the gentle nature of the cattle and the amount of meat and bone that they exhibit. I can be contacted at 903-466-6243 to answer any questions that you might have about nelore cattle.

Do you have website we can look at?

Latest posts