Indubrasil vs Nelore/Ongole

Help Support CattleToday:

gaurus

Reaction score
Brazil is one of the largest producer of beef cattle, they have their own cattle breed called Indubrasil and the Nelore(Ongole), I wish to add heat tolerance to a Charolais/Limousin cross herd I run in Texas(South) I know all about Brahman and Texas Longhorn cross, but I was thinking of using any of those breeds.

Indubrasil cow and calf
b771601ce6370c1d93e2870161616326.jpg

Nelore/Ongole cow and calf
valva.jpg

Which one would you use(AI) and why?

Thank you.

gaurus":1yfih132 said:
Brazil is one of the largest producer of beef cattle, they have their own cattle breed called Indubrasil and the Nelore(Ongole), I wish to add heat tolerance to a Charolais/Limousin cross herd I run in Texas(South) I know all about Brahman and Texas Longhorn cross, but I was thinking of using any of those breeds.

Indubrasil cow and calf
b771601ce6370c1d93e2870161616326.jpg

Nelore/Ongole cow and calf
valva.jpg

Which one would you use(AI) and why?

Thank you.
Well I'd use the Nelore cause it has less ear(=less docking) then the indubrasil :2cents:

Knowing nothing about the actual specifics of either breed, I would go with the Indubrasil. I'm a nut for big ol Basset hound ears
That's why I like Gyr cattle

Believe the Nelore are noted for better (greater) milk production than many of the other Zebu types.
Like dun... I'm a sucker for the big, long ears (used to breed Nubian goats and Bloodhounds)... but today, I"d opt for less 'ear'...at least up here in the frigid northland of southern west-central KY.

Nelore is the beef breed with the largest numbers in Brazil. If you are concerned with carcass quality use Nelore.

Indu Brasil is a Gyr with something like Caracu in the woodpile. It is the dairy cow used deep in the interior regions.

Boa Sorte

JWBrahman":3tqwwzx2 said:
Nelore is the beef breed with the largest numbers in Brazil. If you are concerned with carcass quality use Nelore.

Boa Sorte

Thank you, I appreciate the information you guys have provided me, I will go with Nelore, they really have short ears(compared to other zebu type cattle) and the F1s will be docked much less if at all at the sale barn :cboy:

Seems like, IIRC, years(decades) ago, Nelore were noted as having superior marbling characteristics of any of the Zebu cattle. Perhaps that's what I was (mis)remembering, rather than milk production.

DallyCash":pbh7bknk said:
Uhh where can I get some semen from the Indubrasil?! those ears!!!! :heart: :heart:
Some people truly love them ears... :cboy:

b4ea693e285dfa60117db224dadadc50.jpg

73df35a94f7e80e96d6494fc59dcfc03.jpg

Latest posts