Need Some Rain!

Help Support CattleToday:

SPH

Reaction score
For those of you who pray, we could sure use some prayers for some plentiful rain storms in central Iowa. For a 2nd year in a row now we probably will have to pull the herd from summer pasture this weekend early than usual because the creeks are drying up and may be out of water soon so will have to move them back to the main farm where they have a pond and waterers. Last year we had to move them just after the 4th of July. The grass has held up pretty well due to the wet spring we had but we probably have not seen much over an inch of rain in 2 months now so unfortunately we will have to start grazing pasture that we save for the fall which means feeding hay sooner than normal and with 2 dry summers in a row now our hay inventory is pretty thin without going out and buying more. Very frustrating, our family has been on this farm over 30 years and never have we run out of water in the creeks during the summer before last year and this year.

I am twelfth generation descended from Chief Rouensa of the Kaskaskian tribe. Will start the rain dance for you today. :)

If your dance brings some rain then by all means dance away my friend! Used to think washing the vehicles was a sure fire way to fire up a storm to make them dirty again but I guess the extra dust is just doing the job instead right now.

Central Texas is suffering...just need a little to give the grass a chance to grow and we can hold off on hay for a bit.

We have had plenty of rain but without the major floods here in Southern Indiana. I was even blessed enough to have hay rained on this year, but I'll take it for it has made for a thick second cutting.

Lowered a 1-inch diameter, 3-foot long stick down a crack in the pasture. Never hit the bottom so I just dropped it on in and walked away shaking my head. This year went from a really good first cutting to probably bying the second one. Forget a third one. We can't make the winter with the hay we have and I am afraid to spend the $ on seeding oats for winter grazing. I believe it was CB who said we are never more than 4-5 weeks away from another drought. He was right! Like we say about the Houston Astros.. "wait 'till next year".

PS: Rain dances are becoming the norm around here.

Balin' Wire":24068mj6 said:
Lowered a 1-inch diameter, 3-foot long stick down a crack in the pasture. Never hit the bottom so I just dropped it on in and walked away shaking my head. This year went from a really good first cutting to probably bying the second one. Forget a third one. We can't make the winter with the hay we have and I am afraid to spend the $ on seeding oats for winter grazing. I believe it was CB who said we are never more than 4-5 weeks away from another drought. He was right! Like we say about the Houston Astros.. "wait 'till next year".

PS: Rain dances are becoming the norm around here.

This is sad to see and hear. You guys in Texas and other drought areas have my sympathy.

The other day got some rain... only was a good quarter inch, neighboring town got over an inch :(
It's something, but need more.

Brother has irrigation set up. It's not the same, and costly, but what do you do? Let it all go to waste after going through the expense of seeding?

Well it's official, cows are coming home in the morning as the creeks are down to standing water and no rain in the 7 day forecast. They still have some decent grass in the pasture which is a shame. Just hope we get some rain to get the creeks running again so we can move them back else they will eat up the fall pastures and force us to feed hay early and we would need to buy additional hay if that happens because we re-seeded our main hay field with alfalfa this year and have maybe an inch of rain on it since we cut the cover crop of oats in mid June so we won't be getting a 2nd cutting.

They got some isolated rain about 3 hours NW of us the other day that dumped 2" of rain but not a drop here. Farmer that has the 80 acres just north of us chopped all the corn in the field last year to feed his cattle, planted winter rye and chopped and baled that in mid June then no-tilled soybeans in and I can't imagine he is going to break even on that crop since they got next to nothing for rain during prime growing weeks.

NOAA weather site has a a weather forescast site for 6-10 days; 8-14 days, and 30 day forecast.

The second map is the rain forecast. 6-10 day forecast:
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/

8-14 day forecast
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/

30 day forecast
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/30day/

It shows that up to 33% chance every day is normal. Once it goes past that percentage, it will register on this map.

The area that is white, is normal precipitation for your area each day. Here in Tennessee, we can pretty much see a 20-30% chance of rain every day, which means that 20% of the area will supposedly be rained on. Once the color changes on the map, your percentages go up. It has a % color code at the bottom.

I like the NOAA forcast better then accuweather. NOAA shows september above normal for precip, accuweather says a chance of a T-storm on the 4th and again on the 18th. That's it for september. But as screwy as things have been we could have floods on those 2 days to get us above normal for the month

I like this site real well. It allows many people around the area to set up weather stations at their houses to get more accurate rain fall, and tempatures over a wide spread area. Of course, you must figure out which stations that are out in the county for a more accurate weather reading. There are some really nice weather stations that can be purchased, and then some less expensive models. I like their radar because you can actually see where the clouds are around your house. You can zoom as close as you want. The weather site is: http://www.wunderground.com
First, type in your Zip,
Scroll down to the map on the right of the page. A window will pop up in the map that gives you the option of
"Nexrad" or "Wundermap."
Click on the "Wundermap" and type your address in the "Search and Favorites" box across the top.
You can put the map into animation and see how the clouds are moving around you. You can also move the map as close as you want. But each time you move the map, you must click on the magnifying glass beside your address, or it will return to your zip code address only. To refresh it for the current time, click back on the magnifying glass to pull your address up again.
You can see exactly when the rain cloud is passing over your house, and when it is going to let up. Pretty neat!

SPH":3rmhlr4e said:
Well it's official, cows are coming home in the morning as the creeks are down to standing water and no rain in the 7 day forecast. They still have some decent grass in the pasture which is a shame. Just hope we get some rain to get the creeks running again so we can move them back else they will eat up the fall pastures and force us to feed hay early and we would need to buy additional hay if that happens because we re-seeded our main hay field with alfalfa this year and have maybe an inch of rain on it since we cut the cover crop of oats in mid June so we won't be getting a 2nd cutting.

They got some isolated rain about 3 hours NW of us the other day that dumped 2" of rain but not a drop here. Farmer that has the 80 acres just north of us chopped all the corn in the field last year to feed his cattle, planted winter rye and chopped and baled that in mid June then no-tilled soybeans in and I can't imagine he is going to break even on that crop since they got next to nothing for rain during prime growing weeks.

Don't really know when our creeks HAD standing water for more than a day or to....Certainly haven't had any for 3 or more months.

Truthfully....and you didn't ask....Sounds to me like your overstocked.

My calculator must be messed up.
When I enter in: cattle + grass in pasture + dry creek bed, I get understocked pasture with no rain for miles above existing pasture to fill creek bed.

Latest posts