Need some help

Help Support CattleToday:

alfalfaking

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am trying to put a pencil to this and see which route would be more profitable. The situation is, I have 160 that I currently lease out. It includes 90acres of creek bottom currently in wheat and another 70 acres in coastal bermuda in great shape. Fencing and water and working facilities are all in place. I make my note payment with the rent which is $5000.

I have 73 limi/angus cross cows and I have to rent all my pasture and purchase all my hay. When it comes time to wean, I dont fell like I am getting the most out of my calves since I dont have the needed wheat ground to run them on.

Since I have the needed equipment to put up the hay, would I be better off to drop one of the other pastures I rent($1250) and take back my 160 put in the wheat, run the calves on it, then either cut the wheat for hay.

I guess my question are:

1. Is it more profitable to either sale the calves after their weaned and buy my own hay
2. Retain the calves, take back my 160 put in some wheat(will there be enough gain?) and cut my own hay.

OK, this is like one of those word problems in math. If your calves gain 2 lb per day on the wheat, and you had 70 calves, you would be generating about $4200 per month off of the wheat at $1 per lb of gain. I wonder how long you would be able to run them on the wheat?

Putting up your own hay would be gravy on top of that deal.

Am I missing something? For the more experienced, is 2 lb per day a reasonable guess?

Latest posts