need some good cattle dogs!

Help Support CattleToday:

13 people or 30 people on foot, makes no difference. When those cows start running you are not going to head them off and not going to catch them.
When they run you may as well stop and rest awhile.

3MR":3mwz03mc said:
I think if I had two horses and thirteen people, at this point, I would have tranqed them and drug them into the trailer.

Honestly, I just dont understand how you cant drive them where you want to, but then I am also not familiar with the terrain you are going over.

I can tell you from experience, if the people helping you dont know how a cow thinks they are more harmful than help.

The terrain is a huge problem, very hilly and lots of woods and brush.

tncattle":2rkfix0s said:
3MR":2rkfix0s said:
I think if I had two horses and thirteen people, at this point, I would have tranqed them and drug them into the trailer.

Honestly, I just dont understand how you cant drive them where you want to, but then I am also not familiar with the terrain you are going over.

I can tell you from experience, if the people helping you dont know how a cow thinks they are more harmful than help.

That shouldn't effect people who know what they are doing. You work with what you have.

The brush down here will rip you clothes off. The cow dogs come out bleading from brush burn.

Brute 23":1vsdc3rb said:
tncattle":1vsdc3rb said:
3MR":1vsdc3rb said:

That shouldn't effect people who know what they are doing. You work with what you have.

The brush down here will rip you clothes off. The cow dogs come out bleading from brush burn.

Now remember I'm a rookie so I just kind of learn as I go. But give us some credit we have caught 5 heifers and the bull.

tncattle":eikbz7bz said:
Brute 23":eikbz7bz said:
tncattle":eikbz7bz said:
3MR":eikbz7bz said:

Now remember I'm a rookie so I just kind of learn as I go. But give us some credit we have caught 5 heifers and the bull.

Sorry... not trying to offend you. :oops: Its just you would be amazed at what the people who catch cows every day for a living can do... and how fast. It will make you never want to fool with cows like that again. You will just pick up the phone and watch them work from the AC in your truck.

Cur dogs are one of the toughest dog breeds...they can out run and out fight most dog breeds so they are good for wild cattle. When you put 'em on wild cattle, the cattle will decide to do anything to get the heck outta Dodge!

TedH71":2xgeozzs said:
Cur dogs are one of the toughest dog breeds...they can out run and out fight most dog breeds so they are good for wild cattle. When you put 'em on wild cattle, the cattle will decide to do anything to get the heck outta Dodge!

Plott's were always popular here in my youth, I haven't seen a Plott in years. When I was growing up every family had a Plott he was the hog,cow,deer,varmit dog. Hog hunted in the spring to mark the hogs, first cold snap hundreds of hogs went in the smokehouse as several famlies would get together for a hog killing.

Plotts are considered hounds nowdays. I've seen them but not too often. They're used if you have tons of land since their baying on track will drive the hogs away and they have to work harder to run down the hogs..the silent ones are worth their weight in gold...but not to Plott hunters. They try to cull the silent ones. They hunt too wide compared to cur dogs but they are good dogs if you wanna hunt hogs..haven't heard them being used as cow dogs. Coon and hog dogs, yeah, but not cow dogs.