Need new riding lawn mower, what kind??

Help Support CattleToday:

Craftsman - hands down. I would undercoat or paint the work side of that mowing deck before I ever used it. Otherwise, the engine will way outlast the deck.

Bullbuyer":shm6ouie said:
Craftsman - hands down. I would undercoat or paint the work side of that mowing deck before I ever used it. Otherwise, the engine will way outlast the deck.

Worst deck problem I ever had was on a John Deere. Rusted out like a old Chevy Truck.I always take the air hose to the deck after use.

Crowderfarms":3oirkjk8 said:
Bullbuyer":3oirkjk8 said:

Worst deck problem I ever had was on a John Deere. Rusted out like a old Chevy Truck.I always take the air hose to the deck after use.

I thought you rich people always hired a service for these sorts of menial tasks ?

One more crack about Chevy trucks and you're gonna need a Chevy Ambulance !! I hope it ain't too rusty to haul your sorry self ! LOL

The way I see it, a yard's a waste of pasture. Get yourself some polywire and a charger, much cheaper.

cfpinz

cfpinz":2wlf2w8j said:
The way I see it, a yard's a waste of pasture. Get yourself some polywire and a charger, much cheaper.

cfpinz

Donr it in the past, but momma takes a dim view of that much fertilizer in one pile that close to the door. No sense of humor or adventure I guess.

dun

EIEIO":3t8str06 said:
Too many tree's and buildings around for a 8 or 9N Ford or older gas Massey (my favorite) with a finish mower, would just take too long and I'd spend half a day with the weed-eater to make it all look good.

Ooooh, you want it to look good... I see.

We're in different boats, then. I only mow when I can't see the dogs anymore.. :D :lol:

I hate to make any Murray fans mad but,I bought one last year for the yard to get in tight places that my Gravely could'nt. I have had this Gravely for 12 years with nothing but a carb. kit and a couple spark plugs for repairs,as I type this I look out the window.......yup still on the junk trailer waiting for me to get a load to haul to town is that new Murray,I like Gravely's if they have the Kohler engine,think they are now using some Briggs & Stratton in some models...............good luck

JD LX 280 48" Deck, 17 hp Kawasaki Engine. So far so good, have had to replace Mower Deck Belts once in two years. Solid equipment that my wife uses to chop rocks into smaller rocks. She wont get off and move nothin, just runs it over. You have to stay clear, cause let me tell ya some of the stuff she runs over comes out of the discharge at Light Speed. I can say this though... when I brought that pretty Green Machine home she started doing a heck of a lot more mowin. She thinks my Tractors SEXY!

After looking at the Gravely I think I'm going to get one.

Can't go wrong with a Graverly. My dad has had one for like 15 years and it is still going strong. The big cemetery near where I grew up had like a fleet of Graverly mowers they used 24x7 in the Summer. It's the only brand they ever bought.

We have a nice Craftsmen garden tractor 5000. Four years old
just smoke a few belts when trying to hog some tall grass.
I like for the deck to to go higher. I think MTD makes it.
Does have a 10 ga. deck that helps

I've had two Snappers, two Murrays, and two Craftsmans. I mow a LOT of grass. Snappers are horrible. Murrays are OK for the money. Craftsmans cost about the same as Murrays and are by far the better machine-they are better put together, cut better, handle better, are more comfortable and don't eat up belts as quickly as a Murray. EIEIO, get yourself about a $1500 Craftsman with auto trans and the big cushiony seat. You won't regret it. If all you use it for is 2 acres, it'll last forever.

EIEIO":2cshehph said:
Now, I need a new riding lawn mower. Will be used on about 1-2 acres. So far I have looked at the Deere 300 series and the Kubota 1700 (I think). Need something with a mulching deck as well.

Don't want to spend over 3K on one but will if it will get me a mower that may outlast me.

Any opinions welcome.

Thanks,J

Sounds like you are wasting 2 acres of good pasture. Get some sheep or some light calves, and put the rest of the 3K into the bank.

Stocker Steve":33v98t44 said:
EIEIO":33v98t44 said:
Now, I need a new riding lawn mower. Will be used on about 1-2 acres. So far I have looked at the Deere 300 series and the Kubota 1700 (I think). Need something with a mulching deck as well.

Don't want to spend over 3K on one but will if it will get me a mower that may outlast me.

Any opinions welcome.

Thanks,J

Sounds like you are wasting 2 acres of good pasture. Get some sheep or some light calves, and put the rest of the 3K into the bank.

Actually not much wasted around here Steve and someone already suggested what you did. My 70 yo. dad and mom have began living part of the year in the old farm house on our ranch as we built a new home about 1/4 mile away from it. Dad is slowing down a bit and wants a riding mower, he would use a push one if I'd let him. Since we got 2 places to keep up he wants that as "his" job so I'm letting him. The driveway to both places are each over 100 yards and I don't want to fool with a gate or even a cattle guard. Pretty good hill going up both drives as well.

I've had both sheep and goats, well actually my kids have had sheep and goats to show in 4-H. Dang goats would get up on top of the vehicles, the dang sheep would save their s### for the carport!

Also, I think it was Dun who said his wife like mine don't really appreciate all the added fertilizer in the yard.

J

IMHO there are two classes of riding tractors, the consumer models sold almost anywhere and the premium tractors sold at a few specific dealers. The biggest differences are in the way they are built. The consumer models have light stamped sheet metal frames with a stamped sheet metal weldment for a front axle. I've seen several of different brands with the sheet metal axles torn out from under them due to use/misuse on rougher ground. The premium tractors have heavier frames and either I-beam steel or cast iron front axles and stand alot of abuse.

The second major difference is the deck design. The cheaper tractors tend to have shallower decks. That gives less room for the air and grass to escape. The grass gets recut much more and absorbs more hp. The premium tractors have deep decks and discharge the grass more efficiently.

I would also not buy any of them without a hydrostatic transmission. The belt driven models I've had were like a part time job keeping new belts put on.

Compare the difference. As for me I picked a Simplicity. In my opinion, a premium tractor built to last ( and has done well for 5 years now). John Deere makes good stuff but you pay dearly for that green paint. One other note. John Deere markets some lower end tractors that I don't believe they make themselves and are suspect looking in quality. I've seen them at Home Depot and Lowes.

What ever you decide, best of luck to you

Latest posts