Need help & opinoions on new venture.

Help Support CattleToday:

hyp7

Reaction score
We get a lot of small baby calves at our sale barn and they have a hard time getting over $100 per head. Normaly they bringb $50 to $75 .I was thinking on buying one maybe two and raising them up to around 300lbs. then selling back. What do I need to start this new venture? I will have time to bottle feed. How long will a bag of milk replacer last? I was thinking on getting a milk goat insted of milk replacer. any thoughts on this? Do i need hay or alphalfa? What type of grain or mix when ready? Medical stuff that i need on hand? This is a few of many questions. thanks Gene

I could tell ya, but a couple of the experts here would be Alice and Milkmaid.

I'm sure they will help you. :D

If you are serious about this, I'd go with nurse cows and buy beef calves split at the sale barns.

This subject comes up from time to time. There is a very long thread on it recently, with a lot of opinions and information.

Most of the calves are beef calves. So when Im looking for a mom what do i look for and what should i expect to pay for one. Thanks again

Hyp,

Go through this link, if it works. It is a few pages back under the title "Plan of Attack" and it has a lot of info. http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewto ... ht=#460988

Additional questions? Just ask them. Folks will answer. I prefer calves that are 10 days old or so. Alice likes them day old. We all have different reasonings for why we do the things we do.

dont do with it without getting a nurse cow first. otherwise u loose from the beginning.

Well, not meaning to argue, but I have made money doing exactly what you are talking about, without a nurse cow. It's a good way for kids to get started as well. We used milk replacer, some form of calf manna pellets, and hay. Problem here now is you can't buy a bum calf for that price here at the auction. Matter of fact you can't find one at an auction. Local ranchers (myself included) seem to find folks who want to take the time and raise a calf, usually for their own table, and sell it to them immediately after it loses its mother. I sold one last year for $200.00 after it's mother was electrocuted. At 50 or 75 dollars for a calf, I would think you could make a good profit.
Now, as far as what you need, here is what I would suggest;
A pen with some room for the calf to get some excercise, shelter, a halter (you can tie them to a stake and chain/rope so they can graze outside the pen when the weather is nice, and it can be moved to different locations periodically). Make sure your fences are in good shape, and any place those calves will be should be woven wire on the bottom at least. Barb wire fence aint gonna do it for small calves.
I'm sure I will draw some fire from someone on this next part;
As far as meds go, don't go broke buying a bunch of stuff you may never use. Give them their 7 way/blackleg shots. Anything else, don't buy it until you need it. Chances are the worst thing you will have to deal with in your part of the country will be scours. Your local vet will be happy to help you with anything you need. These are just my suggestions and what has worked for me in the past. If you prefer a nurse cow, that is a great idea as well. Good luck and keep us posted, no doubt you will come up with ideas of your own that might help the rest of us out.

Thanks for the replys good or bad. I gota no what im getting myself into. The calves that have been selling lately are real good looking calves around a week or 2 old. We did have a couple real bad bum looking calves with broken legs and such but most real nice ones just motherless. I have a pen that is about 60'x40 with a lean to shed that im going to rebuild.
So what weight would you sell them at? And also might keep one for the freezer. unsure if i can get a jersey here in North Platte NE. but ya never know. At the sales they sell older cows that look like their udder bag is going to explode but not sure if that means much. They go cheep around 30 to 40 cents.
Is there an age i should stay away from? Like less then a week old. all the help is appriecieated. thanks guys

hyp7":2287r1d6 said:
At the sales they sell older cows that look like their udder bag is going to explode but not sure if that means much. They go cheep around 30 to 40 cents.

My guess is that if those are dairy cows, they are used up.

I like to start a nurse cow with her first calf. Milk her out a few times and when you put an additional calf on her, sponge it all over with the milk from the cow. That puts her scent on it. My one nurse cow, will now take 4, in a pasture setting, once they are a couple of weeks old. I still supplement the heck out of her with feed.

If I raise them on the bottle, I use a bottle only and not a bucket. There has been a great deal of discussion on this topic too and it is argued both ways. I put the bottles in a bottle rack with individual alleys for each calf.

The cost of the manna is a consideration. If you have a nurse cow, you cannot forget the extra cost of feed twice a day to supplement her. Either way, there is expense involved. There is time involved too.

When I retire, I may run several nurse cows. For the time being, the experience I have acquired is a plus.

hyp7":2b7dw9f5 said:
I was thinking on getting a milk goat insted of milk replacer. any thoughts on this?

I would be careful going this route. Goat milk is richer than cows milk, and can cause problems.

Do i need hay or alphalfa?

I would start them out on a small amount of good grass hay, then start alternating grass with alfalfa every other feeding when they hit a couple of weeks old. Reason being - grass will help to regulate their digestive system, and will help to offset some types of scours, whereas alfalfa's protein content can be a source of scours in itself if the calf is not used to it.

What type of grain or mix when ready?

You can either buy some type of calf starter, or you can use a 3-way grain mix (corn, oats, and barley mixed with molasses is the usual one around here). Keep a small handful out from day one, and stick a little bit in the calves mouth after you've bottled them. Keep it fresh, and you'll have better luck with them eating it.

Medical stuff that i need on hand?

If you're careful, don't overfeed the milk, keep the bottles/nipples clean, provide some type of shelter with a good layer of straw/old hay(depending on your location/climate/temperatures), and don't put them in a pen that has been recently occupied by sick calves, you might not need any medical stuff. Good luck if you do choose to go this route. It's time consuming, it can be nerve-wracking, but it's also very rewarding and fulfilling.

thanks Gene

Latest posts