Need help on disposal of a old cow

Help Support CattleToday:

1848":x0dmpy7j said:
Old tires work well and burn real hot...just allot of black smoke.

I don't know about your area, but it is illegal to burn tires in a lot of areas. Around here, the sheriff's department is usually patrolling, and the black smoke is a dead giveaway. Sounds to me like a very good way to get hit with a very hefty fine!

mbdexter - call me sentimental, but first bought cows have a tendency to be special. I'm sorry she died. :( Given the facts, I would either bite the bullet and call the knacker, or I would drag her into the south 40 and let nature take its course - which route I chose would be determined by the animal.

Dun, I ate a heifer that was hit by a train- broken back, laid out for at least half a day before we found her. Drug her in to the trailer with a piece of plywood and hauled her to the packer. She was delicious.

On the other hand had a steer that was roped and tortured by the neighbors, after we got him in the trailer he went down and being the tightwad I am decided to butcher. He was dark and the meat rather sticky and hard to deal with, but the flavor was fine.

SkinMan":1rhgrkms said:
"roped and tortured"?!?! :shock:

What kind of neighbors you got?

well, that idiot isn't there anymore, but to be "fair" this was a 2 or 3 year old longhorn steer that had been running wild over there (big place, rough and rugged and I thought we had sold him as a weaner - early in my record keeping years this was) They had gathered preparing to sell the place (again) and had him up in some rotten short corrals and I guess he jumped out a couple times, got on the fight a bit. They sicked dogs on him and since he wasn't the owner's, the boys worked him over. That bunch was usually pretty "TIGHT" BY 10 in the morning as well.

He loaded ok but went down in the trailer on my way home.

dun":ytbfbcug said:
I had to shoot a 400 lb calf this morning and she is too big to just haul to the back for the scavnegers and too small to eat. .

If it had been a 400 pound whitetail would it have been "too small to eat"?

Latest posts