Need Help/Advise... novice but shopping for haying equipment

Help Support CattleToday:

chevytaHOE5674 said:
The OP stated "my husband and I know very little about haying equipment". So unless they have some trusted friends who are very knowledgeable and willing to help source equipment, teach them to repair and maintain it, as well as operate it correctly they will be in for a long miserable learning experience, and like many that I talk to and read about on here dread hay season with a passion.

In the example of my neighbor he is very mechanical and has a machine shop at his disposal. But when trying to source parts for an old Hesston MoCo and an old Allis Chalmers tractor things took extra time which with our weather ment his hay got made 2 months later than normal. But he has complete control over his operation and nobody else to blame but himself. He does it because it likes doing it, not for the money.

Life is a learning experience... FARMING IS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE IN ITSELF I hate haying myself but its not due to just equipment problems

Chevy....she also said they we willing and capable of learning....30ish years of age with a lot of years in front of them. 🤔 If nothing else, it's cheaper to learn by tearing up old equipment rather than new....😄

Thanks vett. We are in it for the long haul. Just trying to find the best solution long term. We are going to buy some equipment-- now we just know a little more about what to avoid.

Not looking for the cheapest, tore up equipment-- if anything my husband says I am too picky!

We also decided to retain our hay guy for the fields of hay that we sell and we will bale the field that we keep at least for first cutting. If our bales are caterpillared, a little off size wise or not quite perfect it will be okay. We can learn as we go and our neighbor did say he would help mentor us if we help get his raked too. That's one trade I didn't hesitate to agree to (I would have helped him anyways).

TwoByrdsMG said:
Thanks vett. We are in it for the long haul. Just trying to find the best solution long term. We are going to buy some equipment-- now we just know a little more about what to avoid.

Not looking for the cheapest, tore up equipment-- if anything my husband says I am too picky!

We also decided to retain our hay guy for the fields of hay that we sell and we will bale the field that we keep at least for first cutting. If our bales are caterpillared, a little off size wise or not quite perfect it will be okay. We can learn as we go and our neighbor did say he would help mentor us if we help get his raked too. That's one trade I didn't hesitate to agree to (I would have helped him anyways).
You and we have talked about equipment but you never mentioned what kind of forage you are working with that depends on the kind of equipment. How about looking at the type of equipment that your custom baler is using. That will be what you need.

hurleyjd said:
TwoByrdsMG said:

You and we have talked about equipment but you never mentioned what kind of forage you are working with that depends on the kind of equipment. How about looking at the type of equipment that your custom baler is using. That will be what you need.

Orchard grass, timothy, rye and clover mixed hay. I wouldn't buy exactly what he has-- he has all brand new larger equipment. He has a hydraulic wheel rake that does 24' at a time, a big New Holland tractor with heat/AC (this would be nice but not necessary and it wouldn't fit on my flatbed), an accumulator and a baler that fits the accumulator for size needed (that's 3-4" longer than a normal baler ideally would do (when you try to stack a square they are too long).

I think we got enough ideas to know what to look for and avoid. Thank you!

Latest posts